Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does your given name fit you?

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I have no heartburn with mine, and it probably fits an academic who persevered long enough to earn a Ph.D. The name is Albert (Jr.) but I've gone by Al all my life. My dad also was a Ph.D., taught at the university level for more than 30 years, and often went by Al. He was not a very formal person, and neither am I. But it seems to me that it's a name with a bit of substance.

ALBERT
Usage: English, French, Slovene, Polish, Russian, Dutch

Pronounced: AL-burt (English), al-BER (French), AHL-bert (Polish)

From the Germanic name Adalbrecht which meant "bright nobility", composed of the elements adal "noble" and beraht "bright". It was introduced by the Normans to England, where it replaced the Old English cognate Æðelbeorht.

This name, in its various forms, has belonged to kings of Belgium and Germany, as well as others among European royalty. Other famous bearers include the physicist Albert Einstein, creator of the theory of relativity, and Albert Camus, a French-Algerian writer and philosopher.

On the other hand...I went to the pirate name generator at: http://gangstaname.com/pirate_name.php

And my pirate name evidently is "Cap'n Ross Knockboots".

Arrrrrr. Where's me scurvy parrot?

Jovan

Suspended
Jovan said:
I think my given name suits me... it is rather unique, and I certainly think I am. :)

That aside, I'm not sure what to say about its origin. I see so many different meanings and cultural origins for it I'm not sure which one is right!
Just so I'm clear, my real name is Jovan.

Eliza

One of the Regulars
Eliza is a variant of my middle name of Elizabeth

The girl's name Eliza \e-li-za\ is a variant of Elizabeth. See also Liza.

The baby name Eliza sounds like Aliza, Elisa, Elyza, Eloiza and Elza. Other similar baby names are Elita, Elida, Elina and Elia.

Eliza is a very popular female first name and a very rare surname (source: 1990 U.S. Census). Displayed below is the baby name popularity trend for the girl's name Eliza. Click here to compare Eliza with related baby names.

The girl's name Elizabeth \e-lizabe-th, el(i)-za-beth\ is pronounced ee-LIZ-a-beth. It is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is "God's promise". Biblical: the mother of John the Baptist. Since the reign of Queen Elizabeth I, Elizabeth has been one of the most frequently used names, with variants and short forms being created today.

Elizabeth has 25 variant forms: Alizabeth, Bet, Beth, Betty, Bit, Elisa, Elisabet, Elisabeth, Elisabetta, Elissa, Eliza, Elizabel, Elizabet, Elsa, Elspeth, Elyza, Ilse, Isabel, Libby, Liesl, Lilibeth, Lisa, Liza, Lizbeth and Lizette.

Hmmm, interesting.

K

killertomata

I won't use my real name online because it's very unique and I feel like I'm posting my address or something. hehe However, my name does suit me.

It's in the mostly-lost language of my tribe, given to me when my Grandfather was Chief and I was about four years old, and means Girl-Calm. Yeah I have my emotional times like anyone, but at moments when everyone else is freaking out, I'm the one who stays calm, cool and collected.

Growing up I was always very calm and took things with ease, and these days I tend to be calm over the scariest of situations; I figure, when the guy walks in threatening to kill everyone in the store I was running (that really happened), I can freak out later but need to deal with it at the moment (and I got him to calm down and leave).

carter

I'll Lock Up
My name, BARRY m Irish, English
Anglicized form of the Irish name Bairre, which is a pet form of FIONNBHARR.

FIONNBHARR

Usage: Irish

Pronounced: FIN-var [key]

Means "fair hair", derived from Gaelic fionn "white, fair" and barr "head". Saint Fionnbharr of Cork was a 6th-century bishop who supposedly performed miraculous cures. The Barry Islands off Wales were named for him.

My middle name, NEAL m English
Variant of NEIL

Usage: Irish, Scottish, English

Pronounced: NEEL (English) [key]

From the Gaelic name Niall, which is of disputed origin, possibly meaning "champion" or "cloud". This was the name of a semi-legendary 4th-century Irish king.

My surname, CARTER m English
From a surname which meant "one who uses a cart" in Middle English.

I certainly have fair hair and blue eyes. We are decidedly German/Scots/Irish/English in ancestry.
So, we have a fair-haired descendant of a saint and somewhat cloudy champions who somehow begat pushers of carts. Hmmm....well, I did grow up on a farm and I do like automobiles. Never pushed a cart but there's still time.

Thanks for the Pirate Name url.

My Pirate Name is Crafty Jimbo Hacke.

My Dad's was, Pirate Argus the Mauve.

My Son's is, Shoutin' Conroy Kidd.

My Grandfather's was, Not-So-Keen-On-the-Womenfolk Edmund

Apparently Edmund was keen on at least one of the Womenfolk and begat a rather colorful son, Angus the Mauve. Angus begat a shifty son known as Crafty Jimbo Hacke (he was somewhat sloppy with his blade). Crafty Jimbo somehow managed to beget Shoutin' Conroy Kidd, so known for his powerful wail in the birthing room.

A loud, sloppy, colorful, and misogynistic group of desparate men living in desparete times.

Have mercy on us one and all.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Carole is a feminine given name (see Carl (name) for more information).

A carole (or corola, in Proven?ßal) is a festive song or medieval dance, related to the formes fixes of the early Renaissance, and the ancestor of the English carol.

So there you go.

olive bleu

One Too Many
now, it does.
My full name at birth was Cindy Julia Ann,.My Mother wanted to name me "Julia" after my Great-Aunt Julia, who died before I was born, but was apparently an amazing woman. For some reason, her friends called her, not "Julia" but "Judy", which my Mother loathed. She really was concerned that the family would all take to calling me "judy", so stuck in Julia as a middle name, and gave me "Cindy" as a first name, not because she particularly loved the name , but because a friend of hers just had a daughter who was named "Cindy" and my Mother figured it was as good as any other. When i was told this story at a young age, I swore that when I turned 30, I was going to start using the name "Julia", which I did.I love the name,I feel it suits me in a way that "Cindy" never did.And I like being named after a loved family member.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Jovan said:
it is rather unique, and I certainly think I am. :)

Aren't we all? Isn't that what we have in common? :D

As for my name, I'm not all that happy about it, really. I suppose it suits me, but that's a bad thing.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Eliza said:
Elizabeth has 25 variant forms: Alizabeth, Bet, Beth, Betty, Bit, Elisa, Elisabet, Elisabeth, Elisabetta, Elissa, Eliza, Elizabel, Elizabet, Elsa, Elspeth, Elyza, Ilse, Isabel, Libby, Liesl, Lilibeth, Lisa, Liza, Lizbeth and Lizette.
All those variations and they left out Betsy, Bess, and Liz.

Some particularly lovely spellings are Liesbeth (Dutch), Lisbet (Swedish), Liisa (Finnish), and Lis (Danish).

Novella

Practically Family
Mallory - "From an English surname which meant "unfortunate" in Norman French."

I love my name, but I don't think I'm unfortunate. I get a kick out of the hat threads here that are titled things like "A stinky old Mallory." My middle name is Rose, and is a name that's been passed down. I like it, although I like the original version best, before the name was Americanized - Rozalija.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
My name's meaning doesn't fit me at all -- "beloved." I had a family who constantly put me and anything I liked or wanted to do down.

I was actually named after a 70s song called "Amy", which I think was #1 around the week I was born. I forget who sings it:

Amy
What you gonna do?
I feel
So in love with you

Or something like that. :)

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
My name is (Ashley) And I was named after a soap character named Ashley Abbott as we all know from " the young and the Restless"I find this name annoying! for the simply fact is No women were named Ashley Back in the day.Since my Middle Name is Edith,which is a very common Old fashion name,I perfer that better.

LordJohnRoxton

One of the Regulars
My name (Ruben) was a compromise choice. My parents couldn't agree on a name (I'm surprised they agreed to get married in the first place!) and my father's aunt suggested Ruben as "an old family name that hadn't been used in a while"

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
All those variations and they left out Betsy, Bess, and Liz.

Some particularly lovely spellings are Liesbeth (Dutch), Lisbet (Swedish), Liisa (Finnish), and Lis (Danish).

Reminds me of the poem:

Elizabeth, Betsy, Betty and Bess,
Went to the woods and found a bird’s nest
They found a nest with four eggs in it:
They took one apiece, and left three in it

Also, songs with your name in them; I suffered through several. Fie on you Jefferson Starship and Hall and Oates!

$ally

One Too Many
imoldfashioned said:
Also, songs with your name in them; I suffered through several. Fie on you Jefferson Starship and Hall and Oates!
Here, here. If I had a nickel for every time someone sang "Mustang Sally", "Lay Down Sally", "Sneaking Sally through the Alley" or Hazel Atkins "Sally Wally Weedy" when being introduced to me... well, I'd have a whole lotta nickels, I would.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
$ally said:
Here, here. If I had a nickel for every time someone sang "Mustang Sally", "Lay Down Sally", "Sneaking Sally through the Alley" or Hazel Atkins "Sally Wally Weedy" when being introduced to me... well, I'd have a whole lotta nickels, I would.

That's why I like Sallypants. It's original. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy