Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Don't text during a movie at the Alamo, or else...

Edward

Bartender
Ha! That sort of person is one of my real pet hates in the cinema. I put a lot of it down to the fact that so many folks just don't know how to be quiet - same thing happens in the theatre sometimes, and it's even worse there.

Drappa

One Too Many
A lot of people also have really short attention spans these days, so watching an entire film without other distractions seems a challenge to them. They are right up there on my list of movie theatre annoyances with kids who kick your seat incessantly, people who wear elaborate hats and updos and insist on sitting in the front row, and people who come in ten minutes late and block the screen whilst getting seated.

SgtRick

One of the Regulars
I personally think it is great. More places need to make examples of these clowns. It is extremely irritating to listen to some a$$ clown talk or text on their cell phone. I don’t whip mine out during a movie. If it is that important take it outside. Nobody wants to listen to your unimportant conversation.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I really have to say this. She sounds like a total...*choice word of choice*. I sure as hell wouldn't put up with that if I was in a cinema with her.

I'm a youngster. I admit it that my manners aren't perfect but there are some things which are common sense and there are some things that should come as common sense.

Now I admit that some things with regards to manners aren't always obvious, especially if it's a cross-cultural thing or whatever, but to act like a *word* after THAT incident just makes her sound even more stupid than ever...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I admire the theater's Mr. League for having the good common sense and cahonies to enact and enforce such a rule. More people should do the same. Maybe it would lead to a gradual return to civility for the people who desire it, not having to put up with inconsiderate louts at every turn.

Businesses that ascribe to this way of thinking couldhave signs up in front of them, much the way schools have 'drug-free zone' signs. The signs could say, 'tool-free zone,' or maybe, 'This is a CIVIL zone.'

Yes, its a stretch, I know. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What I'd like to see is a return of the phone booth in theatre lobbies. Not wall-mounted open aluminum kiosks, but the actual soundproof wooden booths with folding doors and a seat. There doesn't even need to be a pay phone -- all it needs to be is a place where people can go when they feel the need to text or have a phone conversation. This would allow people to have privacy while they engage in their communications and it would keep said communications from disrupting the show for everyone else. Everybody's happy.

Drappa

One Too Many
I agree, I think most people who have really loud phone conversations wherever they are want them to be overheard to prove what an exciting and interesting life they lead. They also want them to be instant, so wouldn't want to queue up in front of a booth in case there was someone else in there.

Feraud

Bartender
The 16 hour conversation seems extreme. Maybe there is an outlet in the car she was able to plug into?
What I find ironic is this genius was in the designated quiet car and pulled that nonsense.

rue

MAGNITED STATES :rofl: Tears came down my face as I watched that...... so funny.

I agree though. They should be banned in theaters. I like Lizzie's idea a lot, but I think Drappa is right. They want to be heard :rolleyes:

Feraud

Bartender
People are not aware nor can properly discriminate their private actions in our shared public spaces. Note the reactions when approached. Childish phone calls, physical confrontations, etc.
Everyone thinks they have some historically granted "right" to do whatever they want whenever they want. These types just don't get it.

Edward

Bartender
Over here, pretty much all cinemas have a little reminder trail to switch off phones before the film starts, and t be fair now that phones are such a norm, it's actually a long time since I can recall anyone having one switched on in the cinema. Most irritating behaviour is more people talking and whatever.... very often kids who have come expecting something other than they got, having seen the trailer (Mulholland Falls, I remember being one), or (as happened often with Lord of the Rings, parents bringing young kids to a film that was clearly over their heads and over long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner