Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dress like you want to be President

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
This is not meant to be political but rather is about the suits candidates are wearing.

I watched the Republican debate last night and was appalled to see many a candidate wearing ill-fitting suits. Ron Paul and McCain (especially McCain) both stand out in my mind as poorly fitted with overly long sleeves, sleeves that are baggy, shoulders that are too wide, wrinkles in funny places and a generally baggy fit. Romney wasn't bad but all of the others had the usual American 'bag' fit that just hangs off the body. Their trousers bunched at the feet and drug on the floor. They looked more like little kids in oversized suits than they did candidates.

candidates.jpg

badsuit.jpg

badsuit2.jpg

If you want to be POTUS you have to dress like it!
Maybe one Fedora Lounger should be assigned to each candidate? :p

Billy

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Along these lines, who do you all think is the best and worst dressed President of the 20th (and 21st) century?

Sin Khan

Familiar Face
candidates.jpg

You mean to tell me that my only options for republican candidates are a bunch of yahoos that don't know to have their pants hemmed?

I don't think that one of those jokers is wearing a tailored suit, let alone a decent fitting ready made one. And what is the deal with everyone on television wanting to wear a bright red tie with every suit they wear? Are there any politicians with a sense of style anymore? Where are the pin stripes? Is black the only color that a politician can wear these days?

You'd think that they were all at a funeral by the look of them.

Jovan

Suspended
Like always, well off doesn't necessarily equal well dressed.

They might be using a strategy of looking like the common, not well fitted man who goes to work every day. But that's a long shot. Barack doesn't seem all that badly suited from what I've seen. I'm interested in what we'll see at the Democratic debate.

Dagwood

Practically Family
I know Manton has a lot to say on this subject.

J. M. Stovall said:
Geez, why can't anyone wear a nice brown suit. I'll vote for the first person who does ;) .

Heck, I would settle for a pocket square.

Big Man

Big Man said:
Along these lines, who do you all think is the best and worst dressed President of the 20th (and 21st) century?

Can I quote myself? I don't think I've ever seen anyone do that before. Oh well ... :eek:

I think FDR was both the best AND worst dressed President. I've seen pictures of him in really sharp, well fitted suites. I've also seen pictures of him in really crappy, wrinkled, ill-fitting suites and hats that looked like they belonged on a farmer.

I believe President Coolidge was also a good dresser. Likewise with President Kennedy, but I'm not sure that his overall "charisma" may not have clouded my opinion on him. As for the Presidents following JFK, none of them really stand out in my mind as really outstanding dressers. President Clinton, maybe (although probably the best since JFK).

Undertow

44789374_065e18e269.jpg

Not a bad suit here, seems fairly standard in the business world, but at least it's not black with a bright red tie.

obama3.jpg

Is this a brown suit, or is it the lighting? Cause if it's brown...

edwards.jpg

Pretty standard here too; looks like Navy with a bright red tie.

edwards3.jpg

Again, pretty standard. At least the arms of this suit don't look too long (none did in the pictures I searched)

Big Man

By the way, speaking of Presidents ...

Does anyone remember (or should I say "know" - you'd have to be really old to "remember") that on this date (6 September 1901) President McKinley was shot?

Just a little bit of (insignificant) trivia that for some unknown reason I know. [huh]

Jovan

Suspended
BK: You have a point there.

Big Man: I agree with your choices.

Undertow: Looks like a tan suit. But anyways, your photos reaffirm what I think. I think Barack is the best dressed candidate. Unless he brings a navy suit and red tie out of the closet for the Democratic debate like everyone did for the Republican. -_-

Dagwood: I never noticed that. Certainly he must have done that after he was elected though.

Big Man

Jovan said:
... Unless he brings a navy suit and red tie out of the closet for the Democratic debate like everyone did for the Republican. -_-

There are very strict rules (agreed upon by the candidates) during the debates that could (and probably do) prevent any one candidate from looking better than another (clothing-wise). The Kennedy/Nixon debate, first televised Presidential debate, would have been a great victory for JFK if for no other reason than he just plain looked better than Nixon. This was recognized, and now great pains are taken to make everyone "look the same".

Ben

One of the Regulars
About McCain

I am not sure how much of McCain's issue is his suit and how much is his actual shoulders. He was hung off the ground in a Vietnamese POW camp by his arms. They were tied behind him.

I had a friend who used to work for a different Senator who saw McCain in person a few times. She said when you got close to him you could see the damage done to his body.

Also, this same friend told me Fred Thompson was part of an unofficial seer sucker suit club in the Senate.

Finally, as the owner of a brown suit, I agree I'd liek to see more, though I don't know that would definitely win my vote.

Undertow

Jovan

I hate to say it but he probably will. I'm guessing Edwards will too. Hillary will wear one of those beige suit jacket tops with a skirt. Or blue, whatever.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
JFK - Was famous for style. He always looked sharp.

FDR - Spent the last couple of decades of his lfe in a wheel chair, which doesn't do much for the crease of your trousers. As Churchill frequently complains, both Hyde Park and Washington could be murderously hot and muggy, and FDR hated air conditioning, and this was before the era of permanent press. So his frequent rumpled look was natural. I think he also enjoyed dressing comfortably.

Ronald Reagan - Was also known as a snappy dresser. He single handedly revived the brown business suit.

Current crop . . . . Doesn't Al Gore look comfortable in his "I'm not a candidate and boy am I glad" togs? No comment on the rest.
But Hillary is another thread altogether.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot