Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unknown Czech Fedora

A Czech seller accepted my ridiculously low offer for this "Stetson" from the Cold-war era eastern block.
Apparently in The Czech Republic, like much of Europe, "Stetson" seeming denotes a style rather than manufacturer.

An unknown, although the appearance is that of fur felt, who knows? [huh]
I am reassured by the razor like thinness of the edge, very reminiscent of some older Borsos.
The seller seems to have more than a few & is willing to talk turkey, fwiw.

Stetson was not a factor in central Europe until the 50s. Borsalino had the name but quality wise had nothing over the high end (JHS, Habig, Peschel, ect.) Austrian (most of what is the Czech Republic today was Austria before WWI) makers. It could be a TONAK. Did they supply photos of the liner or sweat?

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
I hope no one was dumb enough to pay $1,250 for a somewhat common Stetson No 1 Quality!!! I mean, not that Stetsons between the 1890s and 1930 are common as dirt, mind you, but almost every time you find one from that era it is a No 1 Quality. I'd say a No 1 Quality shows up on ebay every other month or so. Depending on size they go for upwards to $350 most of the time. So, maybe we see 6 to 10 a year. Sometimes more.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I hope no one was dumb enough to pay $1,250 for a somewhat common Stetson No 1 Quality!!! I mean, not that Stetsons between the 1890s and 1930 are common as dirt, mind you, but almost every time you find one from that era it is a No 1 Quality. I'd say a No 1 Quality shows up on ebay every other month or so. Depending on size they go for upwards to $350 most of the time. So, maybe we see 6 to 10 a year. Sometimes more.

Don't understand also because No.1 was not Stetson top of the line... it was one of the cheaper hats...
Here is another No.1... 0 bids
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OLD...MtNNf9KEKJPK0o5Uqk1Ng%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Now this doesn't look good to me. Its dusty, looks modern as the size tag seems to have the 2 size numbers and gone beyond $200!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351048945087?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Took a chance on this mid-'50s Dobbs. Slightly different liner tip and looks to be a heather mix, though that could just be bad photos, because it doesn't look gray to me. I hope it's a heather, because I don't have one of those yet. Decent BIN price, too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 110

Roan

One of the Regulars
Took a chance on this mid-'50s Dobbs. Slightly different liner tip and looks to be a heather mix, though that could just be bad photos, because it doesn't look gray to me. I hope it's a heather, because I don't have one of those yet. Decent BIN price, too.

Certainly looks like heather to me! Nice one Brad! :thumb:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Joao I saw this Borsalino sometimes in Italy in the past. It's rare here, the brims are too wide for the italian taste. They are 7 cm. or little more. This on the bay now was sold by Bencraft and seems a religious hat for Jews. It seems not so old from the label, I find it really cool for your collection.
This link could be really interesting too for western hats: http://www.tacchino.it/prodotti_page.php

fedoracentric

Banned
It is a pain to be a buyer in another country from the seller. I try never to bid on something from someone outside the USA. I made the mistake last week of not paying attention and bought a junk hat that I only wanted for curiosity sake and then realized that it was from someone outside the US. The dang shipping was double what I paid for the hat! Stupid me!

Mr.Astor

Banned
Fedoracentric on ebay you can hit the calculate button for shipping charges punch in zip and a number comes up approx. albeit,but gives you an idea. Canada is atrocious, we have customer's in the Toronto st.catherines area that say it's cheaper to drive to buffalo and ship it! So much for NAFTA!

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Well that is something I can't avoid since the kind of hat I like is almost non existing in my country.

Also from Canada to Europe is atrocious. Same distance as USA, double the price.

Now that link of italian made hats: a bit expensive (and with the fame of italian postal service...). I would like to see more/better pictures of those hats and more info like crown height, brim size, brim edge finish... Akubra website gives all that info that helped me decide to get a Sombrero.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points