Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Discussion in 'Hats' started by AlanC, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Daniele Tanto

Daniele Tanto My Mail is Forwarded Here

Joao the Italian Post are not so bad as people said. It is a long time (forty years) I use their services for internal and abroad and sometimes they are better than you think. In all these years I have only one loss. The fault was in between Italian and German Post services. May be I'm a lucky man.......
    I agree Tacchino has a very primitive web site, but you can inquire in English about the hats you wish to know more. I have two of them in my hands and they are (opinion of a bad lover of western hats ) really well made.

2. Joao Encarnado

Joao Encarnado I'll Lock Up

3. alanfgag

alanfgag

It fascinates me when new hats capture this level of interest.

4. fedoracentric

fedoracentric Banned

it certainly boggles my mind. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would buy a used but relatively modern-made hat for hundreds of dollars when they can get a brand new one exactly like it from any hat seller.

I get spending $300 for a hat made previous to 1960. You just can't get hats like them any more. But spending that for something made 10 or 20 years ago? Just go buy a brand new one! I really don't get it.

5. Joao Encarnado

The only thing that would make me buy that hat was brim size but for less than $100.

6. fedoracentric

fedoracentric Banned

I asked that doofus for photos of the inside of the hat a few hours after he listed the thing. His reply showed he "didn't know much more" about literally anything.

His reply, only a few hours after he listed the hat was: "???????????????????????I think it?s sold already ? I?ll let you know if it doesn?t sell.? Thanks for asking. ?"

So, we know this dope doesn't know when he listed something. Doesn't know if it is sold. Doesn't know what an apostrophe is in a contraction. And doesn't have enough reading comprehension to understand that someone just wants a few more photos of the item.

I hope the buyer doesn't find out that this guy also doesn't know how to properly ship an item.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  7. alanfgag

alanfgag

The he was a she and we shall see.

8. Joao Encarnado

9. DJH

DJH I'll Lock Up

I think it will turn out to be a nice hat.

I like those hats that go in those little boxes.

10. alanfgag

alanfgag

Me too, David.

11. Joao Encarnado

12. There are a lot of sellers who will not send to Italy. This is a result of absurd import restrictions/fees on leather goods. Many sellers now just can't be bothered dealing with this and have extended their shipping policies to all goods.

13. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Yep, very common on US eBay.

14. TheDane

TheDane Call Me a Cab

There may actually be a good explanation for that - and it may not be the person in question's fault :)

From my teaching of web-developing I know, that a lot of dyslectics use a text editor with spell-check - ie. Word. They write the text in the editor and copy/paste it into the textarea in a webpage. If the editor is set up to use "slanted/curved" quotes - often used in printed text - it very often collides with character-sets used in web-code.

The problem with quotes/apostrophes, that get substituted by "?", is a very wide spread problem on the web. You'll see it very often, when a dyslectic writes in a web-forum. You can read a little more about quotation marks here. Text in digital format is actually a quite complicated phenomenon - not least, when using special characters as quotes - and not least, when the text ends up on the web.

What may be parsed as sheer stupidity, sometimes originates in a handicap. Knowledge/insight about handicaps is often very limited in our societies - also among people who develop our text-editors. Many dyslectics live a hard life in these digital times. Unfortunately, inventing/development of their needed tools won't bring anybody much professional fame or acknowledgement, so the light ahead is very far ahead [huh]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  15. fedoracentric

fedoracentric Banned

Could be, Mr. Dane. Though I've never seen the question mark be substituted for punctuation in that case (especially as many in a row as the message had).

but I have seen odd things happen when translating from a text or word doc to the internet tubes.

16. John Galt

John Galt Vendor

Punctuation replacement can be seen here, in this clip of the web version of Ermatinger's book, although the punctuation in question is not a question mark:

[​IMG]

17. Joao Encarnado

I tough Italy import restrictions would be the same as to "all" European Union. I never had problems importing leather jackets or hats from the US...

18. Italy has (or at least had) protectionist import tariffs on leather goods, in order to protect their leather industry. The EU tends to turn a blind eye to these things in an effort to help out the economies on its books that tend rather rather more towards the basket case.