Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

fedoracentric

Banned
But don't we just love the other extreme of seller? The one that knows nothing about hats or eBay so puts together a listing for a gem of a hat with a poor title that will never show up in a search, crap photos so no-one can see how great the hat is, says it from the 60's but we know it's a 1920's hat in perfect condition, a low BIN price for a super hard to find hat? We can take advantage and nab a bargain!

Ha, ha. You bet! I guess I just hate to see someone so purposefully misleading buyers like this guy is. This guy presents himself not as a mere ebay seller but one who was "on TV" and is an expert. He is clearly far from it.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
You know, it's ebay sellers like this that give all sellers a bad name. This guy has posted these same bunch of hats repeatedly for at least 2 years, now, and just about everything he says about these hats is untrue.

Further, I've seen other guys here talk of this seller, so I KNOW that he's been told by several of us that he doesn't have anything correct in his auctions.

Here is his marked: "Rare Vintage Tom Mix Style Cowboy Hat, Denver CO, Circa 1920 - Size 7 1/4"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintag...017?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item486754c501

Seems to me this hat was made no earlier than the 1960s.

Then there is: "Great Vintage 4X Boys Stetson, Laredo TX - Size 6 5/8 - Circa 1930s"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Vinta...991?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item486754c4e7

Not likely the 1930s.

Next is: "A Nice Silver Belly Resistol 3X Beaver Cowboy Hat, Size 7 1/8, Circa 1950"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Nice-Silv...970?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item486754c4d2

Don't think so.

But those are nothing compared to the next few...

This one is particularly egregious: "Rare Antique Riding or Fine Ranchman Hat, Masterbilt, Circa 1860s"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Antiqu...183?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338f83ee37

Not even close. First of all its a woman's hat, not any "fine ranchman hat." And it is from the 1910s or 20s not the 1860s! And it sure as heck ain't worth no two thousand dollars.

Where does this guy get this stuff?

Then: "A Very Early Tom Mix Style Beaver Cowboy Hat Stetson? Circa 1920"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Very-Earl...156?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338f83ee1c

Doubtful

This next one is sort of close, though maybe a tad later than he claims: "Extra Ordinary Vintage Montana Peak Stetson Sold Silverwoods LA Hollywood 7 1/8"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extra-Ordin...953?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item486754c4c1

It isn't a $350 hat, though, even if he was dead on with the description. These US campaign hats rarely go for more than $150.

Next, he says this is: "Very Early Antique Top Hat, Size 7 1/4 - Circa 1850s"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Early-...103?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338f83ede7

I can't say I'm that sure about this, but it doesn't strike me as being what he claims.

He claims this is a 40s hat: "Vintage Resistol Cowboy Hat, Sold at Hamley's of Pendleton OR - Size 7 1/4"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Res...084?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338f83edd4

Looks more like 50s or 60s to me. (Looks like a replacement liner, too)

Anyway, this guy seems to be so way, way off on his claims about his hats that it is vexing for a collector to see. Its too bad this guy is so misleading.

I hope if I am wrong about any of these, someone sets me right.

(And, yes, I am violating my own rule about posting live auctions, but I don't think I am ruining anything for anyone here on this guy's auctions, for sure.)

For someone that made such a stink and tizzie about people discussing ongoing auctions....I can't seem to express more on that topic....I do however read the seller states the hats they are selling came from a brother's collection and they themselves are not leading a potential buyer to believe they themselves are an actor, producer or old rodeo cowboy, or from "TV",as you state. Misleading information, no matter what the source, is exactly that. Misleading.

I have purchased a few hats from them a long time ago. There was no misrepresentation in what was purchased and I do not find what was purchased was over priced.

This sort of reminds me of a news story, one person felt anyone out in public caught spray painting should be sent to prison for at least ten years, but when they got caught, well now...another entire take on it....my Husband's Great Grandfather had a great label for individuals like that..."mugwhumps"..always wanting to say one thing or another, while wavering on the fence.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
But don't we just love the other extreme of seller? The one that knows nothing about hats or eBay so puts together a listing for a gem of a hat with a poor title that will never show up in a search, crap photos so no-one can see how great the hat is, says it from the 60's but we know it's a 1920's hat in perfect condition, a low BIN price for a super hard to find hat? We can take advantage and nab a bargain!

For me, the diversity of eBay is one of the things that makes it interesting. Sure there are people selling average hats at way high prices - if they can get the $$, more power to them. To be honest, eBay sellers are pretty far down my list of things I should worry about.

You know, most of the great bargains we've had (other than buying from other loungers) have almost always been eBay purchases. And when you do view many of the current listings, you see hats all over from loungers on eBay right now. For some, I think it is a matter of affordability added with what a person is willing to pay for a hat, or anything else for sale.

LuvMyMan : I'm not sure, if I don't understand your last two posts - or if you didn't understand the two posts you were commenting(?)

Yo, Ole! She definitely understands, and you sort of "had to be there" a couple of weeks ago to fully comprehend the hypocrisy of the OP, to which she was responding.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
LuvMyMan : I'm not sure, if I don't understand your last two posts - or if you didn't understand the two posts you were commenting(?)

I am in agreement with David, that eBay sellers are the last thing to be worried about, however that some very great bargains are there if you look for them and we have no bad issues with anything purchased there (from dealing with any sellers).

As for the other post, it is simply stated to mean exactly what is means. Misinformation from the OP and perhaps more than I would care to speculate or debate about, as comments have to be taken from within a maturity level some may not ever reach.

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Won a hat last week; it was to be delivered today, so I was pottering around the house, listening for the door. No knocks all day--which I know off or sure because the dogs would have gone crazy--but on the usps tracking site, the package is marked "Notice left--no authorized recipient." I ran to the mailbox, and sure enough, I have a delivery card saying "Sorry we missed you." WHAT? You didn't miss me--you didn't come to the door! Now I have to go to the post office on Monday. So irritated. Sigh.

A

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Exactly! Now, to be fair, this gripe is a very minor one in an otherwise very comfortable life--just so I don't seem too petty!

A

tommyK

One Too Many
A victory for me, my first Art Fawcett
2014-06-04134448_zpscc1463f9.jpg
2014-06-04134316_zpsabb7b1d0.jpg
although not made for me it fits like a glove. The only thing I did to it is tighten the pinch.
A bargain at $175 ( I think it would cost me half again or more new). I'm happy to be the next caretaker of this hat. the former owner's initials are AS. Maybe it belonged to a fellow Lounger?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff