Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

In a word, yes. Owing to their availability, much of my collection is from the 50's and 60's. They're quite nice hats. Of course, now that I have a 40's Stetson, I surely appreciate the difference; but, generally speaking, I would say go for the 60's hats.

Resistol is, IMHO an overlooked brand, possibly because they're associated purely with western styles now, but I have some 60's Resistol fedoras which are great hats.

The Italians (Borsalino, Barbisio, Panizza) made very high quality hats into the 1970s. Borsalino actually into the early 1980s. Same with P. & C. Habig out of Austria and German hat makers like Mayser. For example here is a Borsalino Homburg from the late 1960s early 1970s.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/50-borsalino-german-market/#entry255

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
Personally, I don't consider any fedora made after 1960 to be "vintage." y.

LOL I wouldn't as well i was born in 1960 lol I look at lot of hats online and buying for both hobbies of Fedoras and Steampunk style and other period hats. There too many I seen i question and some i don't at all. One Stetson i know i just got has a inside tag under the sweat band with (rev 8/98) so yes it not the Vintage style as the one I got is stuffer and better shaped but is also close to the 60's mostly likely.
Hats fit strangely i am finding A 7 seem to fit well and all but I have that Dobb's that fits like it was made for me and 6-7/8 and that Selentino I got fits bit tight even when shows a 7(56")
The Adams fits the same but sits just fine to. I am looking at the size range and it seem that larger post II are there more then size 7's or 7 1/8.
But again some if not more of the seller have no clue to real vintage of those hats real age. I ask if they any history of the hats and to how they got them. the high % say estate sales.
Theft shops are about the same.
With lot of people who were in the war era year now passing those estate sales will start to bring out many hats from those years. We haven't peaked in that yet as if you look over all at collectables you can see we just getting started.
Sadly this last two generation after mine are greed SOB and cash out as much of the things they parents and grand parents have collected long before they were born to make $$ now.
Show like Antique road show and American picker have made OLD popular to sell off and who care it is a historic item "Cash that puppy in i need new shoes" mind set.
many of the items i buy for my steampunk like sunglasses and safety goggles are Vintage some no so vintage but the cool ones still in a case and you can see there are from 1889 to 1920's. The good one i get cheap for re-sale or to add to my collection. many just want the frames to have them fixed with new lenses So i can re-sell them with not issue to normal people or Steampunk costumer .
Hats for now i buying for my self. So they have to fit They have to be the right price. That is the hard part find the one at the right price. If I was into re-selling them I have not issue on size but the cost place the shipping and all .. I keep to my rules right price the right size and no impulse buys..(did one and luckily it was cheap)

Still need to get pics of the last 3 hats .. I found a shop that can help getting the stetson shape but the liner need cleaning and to be re-attached in a few spots. (it look's have been glued before not stitched) Some one didn't really care for it right . Look at new hats they had in the shop..(Wow sticker shock)

Oh, and to HatsRme, thanks for the tip.

We with the big domes need to stick together; form a movement, maybe. But move to WHERE?

Also, Gary White, the Custom Hatter of Buffalo, NY has a distinctly different approach to his craft, more fifties based techniques I believe, and can well-accommodate us big boys.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mysterious Italian "Troncarelli", Roma

Didn't want this to get away so I went ahead & BIN with really knowing what it is, yet, except it WILL fit. I went to their website & they seem to have mostly Borsalinos with only a couple of their "in house" felts. [huh] The edge stitched brim detail matches a couple of Borsalinos now in stores. But the lack of liner, grosgrain sweatband & the Troncarelli crown sticker makes me think this could be something "in house". I guess I'll find out in a few days. It looked a little out of the ordinary & the price was right. Care to speculate?

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I presume that the "house production" for Troncarelli (one of the last REAL hats shop in Italy) came from Tesi and Barbisio.
The hats marked Troncarelli are often very interesting for the price you paid for modern Italian production.
Hope to see better pictures of the hat that came from the heart of Rome and your impressions too.

fedoracentric

Banned
http://www.ebay.com/itm/371147975550?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

$207.50 for a late 1800s or early 1900s Stetson derby.A tall one, too.

Wowsers.

stetsonderby_01.JPG
stetsonderby_02.JPG
stetsonderby_03.JPG

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
I would bet some one into Steampunk grabbed that.i seem someone pay $350 for one at a con with hat box and a letter showing the original date bought.

Levallois

Practically Family
Marshall Field "Fieldcrest" XXX fedora with an $18 price tag and 12w- 52 on it. Based on the Stetson price tag dating a 1952 date could be correct for a hat from an upscale storeVery soft.

463fa0ea39a10798bece639ea16f382b.jpg

Levallois

Practically Family
Yep two inch brim - liner seam on side - does not have a liner cover or a reeded band but the rear seam is sewn not glued - not an expert so opinions are welcome.

daa946d78c45a8b7254b6f268f1d135d.jpg

0a54b501262d9161b2583b6db82bc29d.jpg

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
Wow, those three looked great. How the heck do you find that ebay section?

By the way, I had to laugh. I saw an ebay auction selling a "Mans Dr. Shivago Hat."

Shivago?

Really?

Last edited:
When I first clicked the link to the auction, the items disappeared. But this afternoon it opened as a live auction via eBay. I've never seem this part of eBay before. I watched the three hats - they went for $180... small sizes of unknown condition.

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
Thats one of the high end Auction house that do Live auctions with ebay. you have to register for them and show you can bid and mean BIG the Big $$$. you can watch them as well. They are some what entertaining to see how much some will pay on an item.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails