Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Michaelshane said:
Bought this on ebay,are they any good?I need to stretch a couple hats.

ef30_1.JPG

That looks good. I have the more usual hat jack. Yours has much deeper wooden pieces so it will fill into the crown better. In principal that should make for a good tool for the job.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lefty said:
There's been lots of big money going for nice hats lately.
barsol.jpg

I'm curious if anyone here snagged this one. It looks like a very nice Borso. I bid on it but gave up early because I grabbed a similar one a couple of weeks ago. Mine's at Optimo now getting a cleaning and resize.

DOUGLAS

BobC said:
I'm curious if anyone here snagged this one. It looks like a very nice Borso. I bid on it but gave up early because I grabbed a similar one a couple of weeks ago. Mine's at Optimo now getting a cleaning and resize.

:) ;)

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:

Bob, glad to hear you finally got a Borso. This one also appears to be a beauty - a lot of Borso OR's on ebay lately.

m000m000

One of the Regulars
7 1/2 Cavanagh

!BR1lqUw!2k~$(KGrHgoH-CIEjlLl4NtwBK!GyUbjfQ~~_1.JPG

I was in on it, hoping no one would notice it since the seller had cleverly listed it under "hat boxes" instead of "vintage hats" :p

Unfortunately I couldn't afford to go higher since I'm trying to scour together some pennies for another future purchase. Hopefully I didn't ruin anyone's parade here with that, as the going price for the hat was about ~20$ before I tried to butt in :eek:.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Damn! I would have snagged that one, except I keep forgetting to add "Dunlap Homburg Fedora Gangster Hat" as one of my eBay search terms...:rage: :D

You did a nice job of rehabilitating that one, Victor. Congrats.

For my own edification, is the sweat discoloration thing something that is common to Knox and Dobbs? What's the story on that?

Cheers,
JtL

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
It is for me anyway. I have owned two Westwards and one Knox. They all have this problem. I own one old Dobbs Rancher with no discoloration.

BobC

DOUGLAS said:

Congratulations, Douglas. That one's a beauty. The one I picked up is as nice but it's color is a bit darker, I think. More beige than silverbelly. Would you agree that the hat is probably "40's?

Scott, thank you. The felt is the thinnest, softest,most moldable I have ever handled. Graham said mine is likely from the '40's. I'm anxious to get it back and start wearing it.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
Congratulations, Douglas. That one's a beauty. The one I picked up is as nice but it's color is a bit darker, I think. More beige than silverbelly. Would you agree that the hat is probably "40's?

Scott, thank you. The felt is the thinnest, softest,most moldable I have ever handled. Graham said mine is likely from the '40's. I'm anxious to get it back and start wearing it.

Bob, did you post pictures before sending to Optimo? I'm curious about the band and liner/label - it looks like all of these OR-style Borsalinos are thin soft felt, and have the corrugated sweat-protector? at the front.

Mine is very solid construction - sweatband supple and firmly attached - but really could use a cleaning. I hate to send it in and have the sweatband replaced.

I STILL haven't even touched a Stetson Open Road!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner