Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Nice pick-up Vic. That was a deal.

stunning Dobbs Leisure Lite, 7 1/4
Fedora_BrnDobbs_wBox_onBox.jpg
Fedora_BrnDobbs_wBox_Lining.jpg

Fedora_BrnDobbs_wBox_Dobbs.jpg
Fedora_BrnDobbs_wBox_Patent.jpg

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BobC said:
Congratulations, Douglas. That one's a beauty. The one I picked up is as nice but it's color is a bit darker, I think. More beige than silverbelly. Would you agree that the hat is probably "40's?

Scott, thank you. The felt is the thinnest, softest,most moldable I have ever handled. Graham said mine is likely from the '40's. I'm anxious to get it back and start wearing it.

I would say late Forties. I have one as well that has the same tags as this one
and is a gray/green. This will be a nice compliment to that hat. I am a bit leary of the 7.50 price but what the heck. The hat is pretty close to perfect as far as I can tell. It should be really good. Thanks

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:

That's a 1931-1935 hat, not '50s or '60s. It has the second patented Cavanagh Edge, or "Improved Felted Welt Edge," as the photo shows.

Compare it to this sweatband embossment, also from a Dobbs of the same period. I don't know why they used the Cavanagh name in one, but not the other.
Logo1.jpg

Nice hat. Wonder why I didn't see that one in my searches?

Brad

DOUGLAS

The Dobbs also has the same type of angled deep enbossed logo as my CrossCountrys. Damn I should have focused more.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I totally forgot to bid on this one. I was 30 miles off Miami, en route to Nassau, when it hit me. :eusa_doh: :(

It sold for around $160.

BQ6BG2BmkKGrHgoH-CQEkJwwr3WBJ7TWpqm.jpg

BobC

ScottF said:
Bob, did you post pictures before sending to Optimo? I'm curious about the band and liner/label - it looks like all of these OR-style Borsalinos are thin soft felt, and have the corrugated sweat-protector? at the front.

Mine is very solid construction - sweatband supple and firmly attached - but really could use a cleaning. I hate to send it in and have the sweatband replaced.

I STILL haven't even touched a Stetson Open Road!

I did not post pictures beforehand, but I did insist that Optimo use the original liner and any other original parts possible. Optimo measured the hat at 7 1/8 plus 1/16 even though it was labeled as a 7 1/4. By resizing the hat to a 7 1/4 LO they will replace the sweat, but I also insisted on having the original sweat returned with the hat. The sweat did have the corrugation at the front. When I received the refurbed hat I will post pictures along with the original sweat band which was labeled, I believe, "Original House" and "Alessandria".

BobC

I don't know, MS. I didn't think to ask them to do that, and I suspect they won't. If they do, it'll be a pleasant surprise. That said, I sent them a Stetson 20 not long ago to refurb and resize and received back one of the best fitting hats I have. I wish the hat had fit as I received it, but it was too small to be comfortable. I decided changing the sweat and making the hat larger would give me a wearable hat and the value of keeping it completely vintage was less in this case as I'm sure I won't sell the hat. It's much too nice a hat to do anything with but wear the heck out of it.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
HarpPlayerGene said:
That's a question I often ask myself when I visit this thread and see hats that were listed and sold without ever popping up on my radar screen. [huh]

Me too....by the way Gene you have bought some I never saw.I search the bay every day,I don't get it...[huh]

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
Optimo measured the hat at 7 1/8 plus 1/16 even though it was labeled as a 7 1/4.

That makes sense - all of my Borsalinos are on the small end of the tag-size. Looking forward to your report and pictures.

feltfan

carouselvic said:
Thanks all. It was labeled 7 1/4, but was over sized. I stretched it to a 7 3/8 without any trouble.
SO glad it turned out to be too small for me.
Glad you got it.

I take it the other hat wasn't worth bothering with?

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:
SO glad it turned out to be too small for me.
Glad you got it.

I take it the other hat wasn't worth bothering with?

It is just a wool felt body with no sweatband, would be OK for local theater.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
pretty Royal Deluxe Stetsonian - Size "7 3/8 long" is curious. Without a photo of the tag, I'm not sure if this is a tagged size 7 3/8 l.o. or some measurement taken by the seller.

Sellers! Tzzz... I was just looking at the hat you posted when I found this beautiful 7 1/8 vintage Royal Deluxe Stetson St. Regis Homburg - and the seller tags it as a Fedora...

On ebay, the word 'Fedora' is obviously used as a general term for 'men's felt hat'.

DOUGLAS

I was tempted but I have to get away from the 1/8s.
I bet it is a great hat and nicely thin too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana