Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
That LaSalle is a beautiful hat - and judging from the logo style and the embossing on the sweat band, I don't dispute a '30s birthdate for it.

However, I do think rilico is a little misinformed about the era in which that company stopped manufacturing hats. I have a LaSalle OR clone which seems to be from a later era. Also, when I was at the raw body felt factory in Winchester, TN, the owner showed a large framed photograph of the facility when it was the LaSalle headquarters. I believe the aerial photo was from the '50s/'60s. That would be about right for when my hat was made.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
. Also, when I was at the raw body felt factory in Winchester, TN, the owner showed a large framed photograph of the facility when it was the LaSalle headquarters. I believe the aerial photo was from the '50s/'60s.

Tell me more about this. According to my information, the Winchester plant was opened in 1951 by Hat Corporation of America as a straw hat finishing plant. The felting operation didn't come until around 1960. Starting in 1955, Hat Corp. was run by the Salesky Bros., who also owned Champ Hats, which was descended from LaSalle. So, was this a LaSalle/Champ plant prior to 1951, at which time it fell under the auspices of Hat Corp? Or are they just confusing the Hat Corp. owners with their other company?

Brad

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Not certain, Brad. I'll bet Major Moore could find out for us in a jiffy though since he's right in that area and makes regular sojourns to Winchester. I'll ask him via PM to inquire with the present owner.

The photo I saw displayed on the wall was of the facility I was standing in - but it was a black & white shot from the air and showed the LaSalle trademark prominently featured on the outside of the building. In my memory of the photo, it had a '50s feel to it but memories can be mistaken, of course.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Newer Borsalino

I hate to interrupt Brad and Gene's conversation, but hope to get opinions on this one that I just received from an ebay win - a size 4 1/2 purchased for my girlfriend.

I've never held a "new" Borsalino, but this one feels like the softest I own, but thicker more velour-like felt. The second set of numbers in the tag begin with 42, but I know it's not that old. The hat is pristine, other than the reeded sweatband has come unstitched. Is this really a ladies hat? (it is now). This is a new liner, right?

Ebay auction: Newer Borsalino

It's raining out, so this is the best I could do - gets the effect of potential and condition:

BorsMich.jpg

BorsMich2.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Brad Bowers said:
I think you'd look great in it, too, Gene!

Very nice Boraslino.

Brad

Thanks, guys. I think she's going to love it.

Thanks for the dating, Dinerman - as much as I study the posts here, Borsalino dating is still baffling.

RBH

Bartender
jimmy the lid said:
Snagged this OR on the 'bay last evening...

262798502_tp.jpg

262798598_tp.jpg

Cheers,
JtL
If I had known it was you .... you would not have had to pay so much..... or better yet ..
if you had known it was me, I could have had an Open Road!.:D
I dropped out at 180-something....
Looks like a fine OR.... let us know all the details!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ