Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Mystic

Practically Family
In as much as it sold for much more than I would pay for that particular hat, I think it's a high price. But I agree that the price isn't particularly unusual these days. Just two years ago, this particular hat would have sold for much less. High prices are slowly but surely becoming the norm.

It may have only gone that high with the flow of the bidding.

The hat may not have gotten any bites with a BIN in that price range.

TipTop

Practically Family
Thx Alan and Lefty....;)

For you non-math/stats majors out there, some observations: While two bidders were fearsome, the winning bid was placed by a prior bidder and within $10 of the two next lower bids and $38 of the last non-dueling bidder. And who knows how many snipes came in a few bucks short? Not apparent exuberant solo flight to me; and certainly not on a desirable, rare hat in that condition and size.

I highly recommend this seller :eusa_clap ephraim_M41 who has some other nice lids pending. He upgraded (by $25) my shipping so that my hat would be here before I left for Montana. Indeed, during the auction, we discussed his delivering it in person to the Denver Airport; he was willing, but unable to meet during my layover time. VERY accommodating and meticulous.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I highly recommend this seller :eusa_clap ephraim_M41 who has some other nice lids pending. He upgraded (by $25) my shipping so that my hat would be here before I left for Montana. Indeed, during the auction, we discussed his delivering it in person to the Denver Airport; he was willing, but unable to meet during my layover time. VERY accommodating and meticulous.

JIMMINY CRICKET! :eeek: For the price he realized he bloody well should be accommodating!

EggHead

Practically Family
A joke I heard a while ago:
Two nouveau riches meet. One shows off his new tie - "I got this tie for $120!"
- "Ha", says the other - "I got the same tie for $150!"

:)

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Tip top great 100. That is the going rate for a Stetson 100. With a basic 3x going for over a hundred now days a nice 100 will hit that price easy. If it had the case with all the plastic pieces it could cost more.
Enjoy it.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
:arated: I've bought from him before as well. Never any worries there! :eusa_clap

Cheers,
Tom

Same here, he's sold a ton of nice hats over the last 6 months or so.

Tip top great 100. That is the going rate for a Stetson 100. With a basic 3x going for over a hundred now days a nice 100 will hit that price easy. If it had the case with all the plastic pieces it could cost more.
Enjoy it.

You are absolutely correct Ed. Unless you stumble upon a super bargain (that no-one else finds) you are going to have to pay to play if you want one of these rare & special hats and Ray's hat was a fair price for his size in what looks to be excellent condition.

It's those Whippets that I still don't really understand. As much as I really like the 2 that I have, I'd never claim them to be the best quality hats around. They are pretty though!

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
This is THE nicest 7-3/4 stingy I've ever owned. How come I can't get a decent bid? Is there a flaw in the listing?

7 3/4 Resistol 3x Kitten Finish 1950s Fedora ~ 7 5/8 Brown Vintage Hat

Resistol_2.jpg

jbucklin

Practically Family
ZF, I tried selling some very nice stingies, one of which is an outstanding McAndrew with the most amazing, soft felt. I kept dropping the price and finally gave up at $50. Nobody wants stingies. Maybe if you offer it for free?

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is THE nicest 7-3/4 stingy I've ever owned. How come I can't get a decent bid? Is there a flaw in the listing?

7 3/4 Resistol 3x Kitten Finish 1950s Fedora ~ 7 5/8 Brown Vintage Hat

Resistol_2.jpg

Stingy brim, straw season for the foreseeable future and, I think, when you stray higher than 7 1/2 or so you start a steep slide down the bell curve, i.e.- fewer 7 3/4.

JMHO, big headed guys don't go for brims under 2". I don't go for those under 2 1/2".

ditto that- I am trying to get used to 2 1/4" as I got a vintage borso w/ that brim. 1/8" does make a change.

Mystic

Practically Family
ZF, I tried selling some very nice stingies, one of which is an outstanding McAndrew with the most amazing, soft felt. I kept dropping the price and finally gave up at $50. Nobody wants stingies. Maybe if you offer it for free?

For Free ......

yeah but, how much is the shipping....and could you have the hat cleaned and blocked for that price. lol

Auctually, it may not be so much the brim width as the time frame the hat was manufactured...the perceived quality of the hat with a stingy brim.

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
I don't sell on eBay and have no idea about the fees.

I wonder what the fees to the seller would be on a hat selling for $435.

Maybe some of the eBay sellers could supply some input.

It works out to at least 10% including PayPal. Their latest gambit in automatically listing incorrect and usually outrageous postage rates is to include postage in their fee % calculation.

And Alan, Mike Potts, Zemke, DJH and Wiser, thanks for your recollections and research; I may have joined here only in February, but I've been around long enough to know value and that most carping arises from envy.:D

Last edited:

Mystic

Practically Family
It works out to at least 10% including PayPal. Their latest gambit in automatically listing incorrect and usually outrageous postage rates is to include postage in their fee % calculation.

And Alan, Mike Potts, Zemke, DJH and Wiser, thanks for your recollections and research; I may have joined here only in February, but I've been around long enough to know value and that most carping arises from envy.

Thanks....I did notice a hat on eBay with a opening bid of $9.99 shipping from California with a postage of $30.40

I don't know if "carping" comes from envy so much as from being pissed about inflation.

but, I was rather envious of the lady ahead of me at the grocery store that bought 2 loaves of bread for $3.15 each. :biggrin3:

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
ZF, do you know what the age of the hat is? Is there a price tag under the sweatband?

JB: I don't know for sure the age. When I bought it I sent it out to Art and had him upsize it and replace the sweat and ribbon. That's why I'm looking to get $149 for the hat. Honestly, I'm gonna leave it up for 30 days. If it doesn't sell... Right back into the closet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo