Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The rear part of the leather sweat has a yellow ribbon wound through slots iin it. Has anyone else ever seen anything like this?

Yup.

My understanding is at one point the ribbon was functional as a size adjuster, but by this era it was strictly decorative. I have the same on a few Stetsons including my Stetson 100. Bob Jesse also did this on one of my Milans.

My understanding is at one point the ribbon was functional as a size adjuster, but by this era it was strictly decorative.

It was a decorative design element on this hat too, more than 100 years ago.

19.jpg

I stand corrected!

It would seem likely that the reference of this design is to a method of cinching in the sweatband for a tighter fit. The full circumference variation seen on German and Austrian hats would seem better suited, but I'm not sure that this is functional either. I believe that riding derbies have a similar construction too, though I've never owned one to test it. Here is an Austrian fedora with the full circumference through ribbon. Perhaps Steve has more insight on this.

ottomatt5.jpg

fedoracentric

Banned
I have held a riding derby with the string cinch and the sweatband was moleskin-like in how thin and supple it was. The string could be cinched to tighten the fit. And I hear that many old, old toppers were like that, too (pre mid 1800s).

It would seem likely that the reference of this design is to a method of cinching in the sweatband for a tighter fit. The full circumference variation seen on German and Austrian hats would seem better suited, but I'm not sure that this is functional either. I believe that riding derbies have a similar construction too, though I've never owned one to test it. Here is an Austrian fedora with the full circumference through ribbon. Perhaps Steve has more insight on this.

Yes this style is common with pre WWII German and Austrian hats (soft and stiff). I haven't tried to adjusted any of mine. The old Wegener I posted above appears to missing the ribbon although it has a bow.

Cap Goodvibes

New in Town
Hi from a new member (my first post too!).

I've been wearing different hats on & off for more than 35 years (1st was a beret in secondary school).
For the last 20 years, I'm rarely without one.
30 years ago, I purchased a 'lot' at an auction of 5 hats, a Borsalino, 2 Stetsons, an unnamed straw fedora, & an Akubra.

Back when hats were less popular here, at times I've been known simply as 'the bloke with the hat'.
I had no idea as to the worth of the Borsalino, given that there was no site such as this, nor was there anyone I could ask for information on just what I had. Suffice it to say that, without any second thought at all, the Borsalino was by far my favourite - by a long way! I now have a much better idea why.

With more than a little bit of feedback from friends & family, I finally 'retired' her.
Simply put, I wore my Borsalino 'to the ground'.
I wore her overseas, interstate work functions, University, to weddings, funerals, work, job interviews & to many bush music festivals. A dusty, sweaty, oily, hole ridden gem she now is. Yet, in her own way, she's still my favourite, & look forward to donning her any time I 'head bush' (going out of town).

I'm now noticing my Stetson is showing signs of its (many) hours of work, & I'm wanting to increase my collection so that I can rotate (& rest) my hat(s) so that they I don't wear any out. I currently only wear my Stetson. All this is within a painfully realistic acknowledgement of what I can afford.

With all the above in mind, can anyone offer me any feedback as to whether -this item- I picked up on Ebay today is a good purchase.
I'd appreciate very much any feedback, given that I'm also looking at a significant amount to have it shipped here (Australia).

Finally, thank you for such a fine and generous site, but more so, what seems to be a rare thing on the net; a group of people interested in mutual respect.

Cheers,
John

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
If you like stingie brims like that you should have a pretty open field free of too much competition. Most of us here are wide brim fans (not all, but most). I wouldn't think paying more than $40 or $50 for a stingie would be unnecessary in many cases. Keep your eye on ebay and take your time. One mistake new hat buyers make is to jump on everything before they've gotten a sense on average pricing. Finally, be very, very mindful of size. Most sellers seem blissfully unaware that hats come in sizes so they often advertise incorrectly, but also be aware that hats can vary greatly in size for a variety o reasons. So, make sure the seller measures it for you and don't necessarily take even a size tag at face value. Good luck on your search and welcome.

Cap Goodvibes

New in Town
'fed', thank you for your reply, your welcome, and the feedback on my post.
I hope I've not made the mistake you mentioned (having committed to purchase).
If this one brings me half as much pleasure as did the Borsalino I mentioned in my post, then I've done well.
I also note your reference to the brim size, & have little option but to trust that what I've bought isn't falsely tagged - more so because (as already mentioned), I'm in no position to be able to afford an 'education' of this nature.
Travel well.

winterland1

Practically Family
Goodvibes and if you don't like it you can always resell on here or eBay again. Not a real hat person so far but I've purchased and sold many leather jackets in the pursuit of finding what I think I like . Make sure to post some pics of you wearing it if you like it. Good luck.

ccorsair

One of the Regulars
Ha, none of us are... unfortunately every last one of us have learned this lesson whether we wanted to or not!!
Yes it can a $$ lesson some days. then again I'm Cheap SOB. BTW i look at the price of NEW Stetsons over at Western shop in town..WOW I thought Ebay was high..
could be the shop but then again. Saw video some of the Western Cowboy hats and that was Crazy on the price of high X hat.
Ebay rule one the words Vintage, or Rare are to be taken with a LARGE grain of salt. but thing the thing pay a far price you are happy with and make sure it's the right size before bidding or buying. Did that with one hat that turn out to be not as I thought .. That one is going back to eBay soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24