Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Really, no one is willing to take this guy's word that this must have been Bob Hope's hat? ctl/sarcasm/off
BOB_HOPE_STETSON_1.jpg

Bob_hope_stetson_3.jpg

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lefty said:
Why not use a snipe program yourself?
I am with Lefty, snip programs are a usefully tool. I used them for years buying vintage leather jackets off ebay. More recently while biding on hats with snip programs, I noticed 3 or 4 bids might come in during the last 10 seconds between when a snip program enters my bid and the auction close. End result when my bid is jacked up in the final seconds. I attributed the difference to increase action on hats relative to vintage jackets. Flash forward to this auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250339950651&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=015
I hade a snip bid of $417 but cancelled in the final minutes to enter a bid manually in the final 3 seconds. I failed to enter my bid in time and lost out. Still crying

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
Inusuit said:
I've bid unsuccessfully on several Ebay hats and continue to be frustrated by last minute snipes. Other than staying up until midnight at the keyboard, what do you suggest?

I don't use a snipe program and have won many hats, but you do have to be willing to be there at the end. I'm lucky in that I have internet access at work and can check on the hats. I think this works better than the programs because I can decide then if the hat is still within my price range. Which to my wife's dismay has changed on several occasions at the last minute with hats I really wanted. The most I have ever paid for a vintage lid is $42.oo including shipping on a great gray royal Stetson that arrived this morning.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
too impulsive!

Wil Tam said:
I told myself to lay off eBay for a while because I get a little impulsive.... but I couldn't help myself since this deal was too good to pass up, I can't wait to get it! Buy It Now!
d1b3_1_sbl.JPG

This just got here .. seller was in Queens, NY .. I'm in Manhattan so it arrived in a day .. I'm not digging the the stitching & the belt as much as I thought I would so this is going to end up as a project hat ... because I really love the rich indigo blue color.

----------------
Now playing: Burt Bacharach & Elvis C. - I'll Never Fall In Love
via FoxyTunes

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wil Tam said:
This just got here .. seller was in Queens, NY .. I'm in Manhattan so it arrived in a day .. I'm not digging the the stitching & the belt as much as I thought I would so this is going to end up as a project hat ... because I really love the rich indigo blue color.

----------------
Now playing: Burt Bacharach & Elvis C. - I'll Never Fall In Love
via FoxyTunes
That hat would really pop with a silver/light gray Ribbon treatment.
I wouldn't rule out Gold either....[huh]

Wil Tam

Practically Family
You know.... I think you're right

bolthead said:
That hat would really pop with a silver/light gray Ribbon treatment.
I wouldn't rule out Gold either....[huh]

It's a work in progress ... I would have to get some vintage silver grosgrain by the yard to do the job though ... know where I can get some?

I steamed & bashed it into a porkpie & used a multi color burlap type material from another hat to get this... I needed a hat to wear with jeans & a navy blue linen sports coat

IMG_0256.jpg
IMG_0257.jpg
IMG_0258.jpg

----------------
Now playing: Dusty Springfield - Son of a Preacher Man
via FoxyTunes

Lon Goval

Familiar Face
They're all Stetsons!!!

Feraud said:
How does this end up in the Men's Hats - Stetson category..? :rolleyes:

Aren't all hats Stetsons? All bicycle parts are Campagnolo and all guitars are Gibson or Fender!!

Sometimes the best deals are the worst or incorrect listings.

Ralph

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Tom- I love the history behind that Disney. I was watching that auction was surprised at the great deal you got. You're really picking up some great hats.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I saw those the minute they posted, at $10 each. I emailed the seller to see if he'd combine the $70 shipping, in hopes that, just maybe, no one would notice them, and I'd pick them up for $100-150. I guess they were noticed. :p

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
It fits!!!

About 4 pages back I posted that I'd won a nice Akubra Pilbara to give to my niece's hubby for Christmas. She had told me he had a "melon" head. This being such a reliably precise term, I went ahead and bid on, and won, the hat. It's a 7 3/4. Well I gave it to him yesterday, and hosanna in the highest, it fits him perfectly. Melon head, indeed.
Here he is wearing it (slightly out of focus, sorry) and looking like our latest convert the the ranks of hat lovers. Color me relieved.
Xmas2008002reduced.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
A dark grey Open Road for the Spousal Unit

My wife has a few hats I've given her, and sometimes she wears one of mine. Her hat wearing is somewhat infrequent, though. When she does wear a hat it's either a bright red felt hat or a black and white checked wool weave stingy brim (what some people refer to as an "old man's hat").

I came across this Imperial Stetson and, on a whim, decided to try for it as a possible Christmas present. The opening bid was a bit high, but I figured that I'd probably get outbid on it. Turned out I was the only bidder!

0507_35.JPG

It arrived today. It being Saturday she was home when it arrived, and she asked me what was in the large box. I admitted it was a hat. She likes my hats, but is under the considerable opinion that I have quite enough of them for now and we have more important things to be spending money on. (Yes, I suppose she's right, but still...;) ) Fortunately, I took it out and, before she could say anything about my spending the money on yet another one, handed it to her to try on. She wasn't expecting that. It was, to my surprise, a bit too large for her. She observed that it could be easily made to fit with felt inserts.

Later I tried it on myself, and kicked myself for not trying it on before telling her it was hers! :eusa_doh: Although marked as 1/8, it actually fits me! I wonder if she'll let me borrow it sometimes? :D

Cheers,
Tom

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
Later I tried it on myself, and kicked myself for not trying it on before telling her it was hers! :eusa_doh: Although marked as 1/8, it actually fits me! I wonder if she'll let me borrow it sometimes? :D

Are you suggesting marital compromise is going to be extended to sharing hats?[huh] [huh] What is the world coming to?:eek: :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner