Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

DoctorJ

Familiar Face
ScottF said:
Let me guess...I've been out-sniped by rlk again:

Wormser Panama

On a brighter note, this one just arrived, and it is AWESOME. The only issue is size. I liked it so much that I rationalized that it might have shrunk a bit over the last 70 years, but alas...it's massive, but so nice I'm ready to add as much to the liner as necessary to wear it:

Knox Panama

How am I missing these things? I thought I was vigilant, but I guess there's just so many hours in the night...

That Knox is really nice lookin' btw.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
EBay Sellers

I took a shot on a hat listed as having been made by a small, now-defunct hatter in West Virginia. It was $26 with shipping. I exchanged several emails with the seller to ensure the hat was fur, etc. She told me it was a size 7 1/2. She never did tell me the circumference measurement . . .

I wear a 7 3/8 . . .

Got the hat today. It barely covers the top of my skull. Can't be over a size 6 at most.

Is it too much to ask that a seller give an accurate size?

Needless to say, I notified her that I'm returning the hat and it will be in tomorrow's mail.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
really? no one? 7 1/2 Knox
4519_1.JPG
3f39_1.JPG

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
watch out

Here's an odd hat I received today: Old French hat

This is one of many hat's this seller is advertising as 'never worn'. This hat was well-worn, and well-eaten by moths. The hat IS actually a 7 1/4, and IS from France. The bowis dead-center on the back. I asked this on another thread as well, but is it normal for bows to be on the back on mens' hats?

Pics below show restored hat. I had to throw out the oil-skin plasticey strip behind the sweatband (nasty), and also removed oil-skin cover over the liner-label because it was too covered with hair oil residue to see the nice French label. There were moth bites in a bunch of places, particularly under the brim, but the color lent itself well to hiding them, and those that were particularly bad I picked at with a pin, then sanded and brushed well. It's actually surprisingly presentable.

After cleaning, sanding, brushing, steaming, I had a very nice hat (you can't see the mothbites unless you're looking for them).

FrMe1.jpg

FrMe2.jpg

FrBow.jpg

FrHat.jpg

FrLiner.jpg

FrSweat.jpg

FrLbl.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScottF said:
On a different note....I just received this:

Hat form or block?

I am not completely sure what it is, but I figured it could be useful since I'm getting into refurbishing hats now. It's about 6" high, marked at my size (7 1/4), and the brim part is marked 2 3/4", which seems about what I like.

So now...what do I do with it? I figured at the least, it would make brushing easier.
Since no one else has answered yet...
It's a hat block for crown and brim.
Yeah it'll make brushing easier. Beyond
that, it depends on what you want to
get into. There is a frame these parts sit in,
which you may or may not need, too.
There's plenty of information on this here.
Search for "block" in the Hats category.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
feltfan said:
Since no one else has answered yet...
It's a hat block for crown and brim.
Yeah it'll make brushing easier. Beyond
that, it depends on what you want to
get into. There is a frame these parts sit in,
which you may or may not need, too.
There's plenty of information on this here.
Search for "block" in the Hats category.

Thanks feltfan - I'll do some research on it today.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
billyspew said:
Glad it worked out for you.
I have this one one it's way from the same seller:
b50c_1.JPG

Good luck with it, Billy. There were literally moth bodies falling out from under the ribbon when I got it. I still haven't gotten the smell out of it, but it does fit well and look nice.

...200 N. Broadway...must climb hill...

DoctorJ

Familiar Face
Three Dobbs

Bought these today. Perfect everyday hats for me, and all in my size.

Dobbs Panama
e96f_12.JPG
1132_12.JPG

This one is described as "Olive green". Looks like the ribbon is green too.
6523_12.JPG

This one is black.
!BQz9d(QBGk~$(KGrHgoOKiQEjlLmEZt(BJ63Q1INWg~~_12.JPG
!BQz934wBmk~$(KGrHgoOKisEjlLl7pG)BJ63Rr,WBg~~_12.JPG

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I don't see why not. The 100 was a price point, not a style. I mean we've seen cowboy, open road, mode edged fedora and homburg 7xs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy