Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion Rules of the Past

miss_elise

Practically Family
that's what i thought...but then i feel bad for getting my gloves all dirty, and then when i have to shake hands with some one and they can feel my grubby gloves, oh, the heartbreak....

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
miss_elise said:
anyone have any tips for eating canapes whilst wearing gloves? should the gloves be removed or do they just get dirty on the fingertips?

No, gloves are always removed when eating. If they are opera length gloves, they may be unbuttoned so you can stick your hand out through the hole in the wrist, then tuck the hand of the glove inside.

There are several threads here on glove etiquette if you're looking for more info.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
No, gloves are always removed when eating. If they are opera length gloves, they may be unbuttoned so you can stick your hand out through the hole in the wrist, then tuck the hand of the glove inside.

There are several threads here on glove etiquette if you're looking for more info.

Stick your hand out through the hole in the wrist????

are you serious? :eek:

worthlesswithoutpics

miss_elise

Practically Family
see the ones on the right

1039.jpg

Rachael

A-List Customer
Laura Chase said:
About the no white after labor day rule, does the rule apply only to all white outfits, or does "no white after labor day" mean no white at all, not even a shirt or scarf?

I've always associated this with ensembles. A white blouse or shirt is always a staple, and at one time was the only acceptable color for a man's shirt. White always is a cooler choice for summer, with the sheerness. And in the winter there's a greater chance of mud on hems as well as shoes.

Spaugs

New in Town
PS said:
However these days, I'd say it's better to be over-dressed. It doesn't take much anymore. Even wearing a simple dress must mean you have somewhere important to go.

I agree with this. I find it extremely annoying that whenever I wear a skirt people ask what event I'm going to! Can't girls just get dressed up b/c they want to, or was that as much of a faux pas then as it is now?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rachael said:
I've always associated this with ensembles. A white blouse or shirt is always a staple, and at one time was the only acceptable color for a man's shirt. White always is a cooler choice for summer, with the sheerness. And in the winter there's a greater chance of mud on hems as well as shoes.

Funny, I have never even though of it in relation to any garment but shoes. I thought it was all about the shoes.

I find it extremely annoying that whenever I wear a skirt people ask what event I'm going to! Can't girls just get dressed up b/c they want to, or was that as much of a faux pas then as it is now?

There were a lot more unspoken, accepted guidelines about what was appropriate for what occasion - but a girl would seldom leave the house NOT in a skirt! Pants just were not acceptable for anything but casual wear until the mid 50s. Heck, I remember not being allowed to wear pants to grade school unless it was snowing. And that was the 60s/70s.

And if you were leaving the house, hat and gloves were expected too, although that started to be flaunted early on, many ladies just didn't feel dressed without it.

I have a vivid memory of going on a "lady trip" with my mom, when I was 7, 1967, to San Francisco, wearing a sailor dress, matching hat, and little white gloves. A memorable trip as I discovered the wonders of the pastry cart, and saw my first black person!

roots66

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:
I have a vivid memory of going on a "lady trip" with my mom, when I was 7, 1967, to San Francisco, wearing a sailor dress, matching hat, and little white gloves. A memorable trip as I discovered the wonders of the pastry cart, and saw my first black person!

No first hippie?

roots66

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
We are not going to start the 'hippie' talk in this room....Please, I beg of you....

Don't make me get out the mean face...it makes my forehead wrinkle...

(Forgive me, I had no idea it was a bone of contention here...merely curious, 'cause she mentioned SF in '67, that's all...)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
roots66 said:
(Forgive me, I had no idea it was a bone of contention here...merely curious, 'cause she mentioned SF in '67, that's all...)

Its fine....nothing to apologize for....there is just a long and tedious thread in the obs bar about hippies and so forth...

*grins* I was trying to joke...

D...made of fail

Lovely Leah

Familiar Face
retrogirl1941 said:
Your shoes choice should match your outfit. For example: house dress goes with saddle shoes, penny laofers, lace up oxfords, etc. evening gown goes with delicate strapped shoes or wedges.

Samantha
I love these rules. Unfortunately, this is the only "rule" that I break on a routine basis. Because of a congenital disability, I must alway wear orthopedic shoes :( even with an evening gown.

The only way I can wear delicate shoes is when I use my wheelchair. It has been at least ten years since I have been able to walk in pumps.

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
I love foundation garments, I am amazed more people don't wear them. Though I guess if the only ones I had ever worn were spanx I might not want to wear them either. I just feel, especially with today's obsession with tight fitting clothing that more women should check into this option.

I also have a thing about unstarched blouses and skirts, nothing looks worse than someone coming into the office in wrinkled clothing.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
People have this idea that foundation garments are "uncomfortable." Well, they aren't exactly the best for lazing around the house in, but I wouldn't call them uncomfortable. As said, they make everything and everyone look so much better.

(Besides, the comfort equation is likely proportional - Taking them off at the end of the day and slipping into a cotton dress is akin to a sweatshirt and yoga pants for people today.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think most of the people who condemn foundations as uncomfortable have either never worn them, or if they have, they've worn the wrong size -- the kind of situation where someone's trying to take eight inches off her middle by forcing herself into a size 24 panty girdle, or something like that. Of course that's uncomfortable -- you're asking the garment to do something it wasn't intended to do. A properly-fitted foundation actually makes you feel *more* comfortable, not less. Or such has been my experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart