Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion Rules of the Past

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
I thought it would be interesting to collect historical fashion rules, from various time periods that reflected certain fashion faux-pas of the time.

For example, "not wearing white after labor day" rule is all but extinct in this day but it once was considered a faux pas if you did.

I still match my purse to my shoes.

What are some fashion rules of the past that you know of?

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
At the office...

Short or pinned-up hair. No trousers.

The rest of the office rules (moderate make-up, no sexy clothes) still apply.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
What is the rule for crinolines and petticoats?

I thought that your crinoline should NOT show beneath your circle skirt. Does anyone know the rule on this?

I always thought it was a faux pas for any sort of slip to show. Hence the expression among ladies to another who had their slip showing..that it was "Snowing down south" to give a discreet clue that one's slip was showing.

Blondie

Practically Family
Do not overdress,
before leaving the house always remove one item.
I think that holds true today as well lol

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
PolkaDotMeggie said:
Hah. I just said point blank to my work partner "It's snowing down South" and she looked at me and said she wasn't wearing a slip!

Not to be confused with "It's snowing up north" for when your brassiere strap is showing. (but these days I guess that is a fashion "do")

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Wear foundation garments! Especially under slim skirts or any type of fitted dress. Trust me, it ALWAYS looks better!

Rachael

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
Wear foundation garments! Especially under slim skirts or any type of fitted dress. Trust me, it ALWAYS looks better!

exactly! I would no sooner dress without a foundation than I would buy a home without one. sure it looks good until something slides.

GwenLake

One of the Regulars
Emily Post:

DRESS ON THE STEAMER

On the de luxe steamers nearly every one dresses for dinner; some actually in ball dresses, which is in worst possible taste, and, like all overdressing in public places, indicates that they have no other place to show their finery. People of position never put on formal evening dress on a steamer, not even in the à la carte restaurant, which is a feature of the de luxe steamer of size. In the dining saloon they wear afternoon house dresses—without hats—for dinner. In the restaurant they wear semi-dinner dresses. Some smart men on the ordinary steamers put on a dark sack suit for dinner after wearing country clothes all day, but in the de luxe restaurant they wear Tuxedo coats. No gentleman wears a tail-coat on shipboard under any circumstances whatsoever.

I also like this one:

WHEN IN DOUBT

There is one rule that is fairly safe to follow: When in doubt, wear the plainer dress. It is always better far to be under-dressed than over-dressed. If you don’t know whether to put on a ball dress or a dinner dress, wear the dinner dress. Or, whether to wear cloth or brocade to a luncheon, wear the cloth.

The chapter on Dress by Emily Post

jayem

A-List Customer
I actually follow the labor day rule. No white after labor day, and it ends memorial day. Yay, I can wear white!

Never mix brown clothing with black.

Always match your shoes, purse and nail polish.

At a more conservative event, to make sure your skirt is the proper length, kneel on the floor. If the hem of your skirt doesn't touch the floor, it's too short. They actually made us do this at my high school (all girls, Catholic). We just unrolled our skirts for the test, and rolled them back up when it was over :p

If I'm tempted to leave the house looking like a bum, I just remember "What if I run into an ex or somebody from my past?" That usually makes me run a brush through my hair and throw on something I haven't been sleeping in for the past week.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
What an interesting link, GwenLake.

like all overdressing in public places, indicates that they have no other place to show their finery

And this would be me. Because I don't have many other occasions to show my finery! lol

There was also this:

"On the other hand, clothes that are too plain can be equally out of proportion. Last winter, for instance, a committee of ladies met in what might safely be called the handsomest house in New York, in a room that would fit perfectly in the Palace of Versailles, filled with treasures such as those of the Wallace collection. The hostess presided in a black serge golf skirt, a business woman’s white shirt-waist, and stout walking boots, her hair brushed flat and tidily back and fastened as though for riding, her face and hands redolent of soap. No powder, not a nail manicured. Had she been a girl earning her living, she could not have been more suitably dressed, but her millions and her palace background demand that her clothes be at least moderately in keeping."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80