Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite '30s and '40s photos?

Edward Reed

A-List Customer
93A35FED-CFB2-442B-8EF5-6E162B3CA181.jpeg

Edward Reed

A-List Customer
"Aye ya bum! Watcha lookin' at, uh? You hang around here too much! Beat it before you find trouble!"
Say don't Blow a Fuse... I'm in a pinch and got myself into some bad business, see and I ain't about to get sent to the Big House because of a bum rap. A little birdie told me one of you knuckleheads has the dope on a big shot that can help me with a rub out, so if you know what's good for ya start flappin' your lips otherwise I’m done for! :p

EngProf

Practically Family
Some information about where/when for this photo:
State: Tennessee
City: probably near Bristol or Jackson
Time: 1936 or later
Car: 1935 Pontiac
Take a good look at the license plate - from 1936-1956 TN had license plates shaped like the State - note sloped and slightly jagged side edges
The number "6" indicated the sixth largest county by population. Plates numbered 1-4 were from Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga. Sixth largest was likely either of the counties which had Jackson or Bristol in them.
Just the facts. m'am...

martinsantos

Practically Family
Lovely thread!

Two photos showing movie palaces in late 1930s (both buildings still exist. The Ipiranga now is a multiplex with 5 rooms. The Art Palacio closed years ago and there are plans to restore it)

EC551648-14CF-4382-BADA-A80865D3A89D.jpeg

EC551648-14CF-4382-BADA-A80865D3A89D.jpeg 7575F36C-FF40-441E-B3B1-A8213485A9E9.jpeg

in 1935 saw itself as “modern” and the Zeppelin arriving made quite a show!

A000AF5D-24C8-4AB5-BED7-7A0F46F56B90.jpeg

a favorite personal photo. My grandad playing at his radio show in late 1930s. He is the banjo player.

4A7210EC-5484-4994-943E-27BD74064B61.jpeg

zQuTppN.jpg

The mug shot of one Francis Albert Sinatra, taken a couple of weeks before his 23rd birthday. Mr. Sinatra was arrested and charged with "Seduction", a charge applied at the time when a man convinced an unmarried woman of "good repute" to engage in an inappropriate encounter with him. The charge was eventually dropped when it was discovered that the supposedly single woman was in fact married. Later that year the original charge was modified slightly, and Mr. Sinatra was again arrested and charged with Adultery. This charge was eventually dropped, and Mr. Sinatra spent only a few hours in jail as a result of the situation.

Not a bad looking kid; I wonder what ever happened to him.

Edward Reed

A-List Customer
zQuTppN.jpg

The mug shot of one Francis Albert Sinatra, taken a couple of weeks before his 23rd birthday. Mr. Sinatra was arrested and charged with "Seduction", a charge applied at the time when a man convinced an unmarried woman of "good repute" to engage in an inappropriate encounter with him. The charge was eventually dropped when it was discovered that the supposedly single woman was in fact married. Later that year the original charge was modified slightly, and Mr. Sinatra was again arrested and charged with Adultery. This charge was eventually dropped, and Mr. Sinatra spent only a few hours in jail as a result of the situation.

Not a bad looking kid; I wonder what ever happened to him.
Missed opportunity here. I would have used these pictures for his next album cover and titled “Guilty of Seduction”! lol!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Mario Puzo profiled Sinatra as a character in The Godfather, quite a womanizer
in his time. Ava Gardner really got to him, guess he never got over her but every
guy has an Achilles heel somewhere inside his heart and Cupid has been known
to dip an occasional arrow in poison.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Streetcars outside of the Chicago Theater in 1947:
Gbl20JL.png

Woman working a mailroom in a Chicago highrise in the 1940s:
KGgDs9b.png

Chairman of Montgomery Wards, Sewell Avery, being removed from office by the US Army in 1944. Avery staunchly opposed labor unions, and refused to settle with a striking union that was causing a disruption to war-time distribution of essential goods.
EFAmSsz.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto