Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finding the Palest Foundation

RubyP

New in Town
Ben Nye color cake

Ben Nye color cake is my personal favorite. It's period accurate too! Pancake makeup was patented in 1937, and by 1940, it was estimated than one in three North American women owned and wore Pan-Cake.
There are 56 colors to chose from in Ben Nye's Color Cake line.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
Ben Nye color cake is my personal favorite. It's period accurate too! Pancake makeup was patented in 1937, and by 1940, it was estimated than one in three North American women owned and wore Pan-Cake.
There are 56 colors to chose from in Ben Nye's Color Cake line.

I second this. It's the closest to Max Factor's pancake that I've found. It doesn't even require setting with powder - just letting it dry and gentle buffing with a tissue if needed. At around $9.50 (or less online) for a large cake, it will last a long time even with regular use.

Keep in mind though, as is the case with any cake foundation, they apply lighter in shade than they appear in the pan by a couple of shades. (In the pan, Geisha looked like a good match for me, but on my skin, it's nearly pure white. Ecru is a better match [and I'm a MAC NC15-NC20] once on my skin.)

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
After trying MACs new Matchmaster foundation, which is supposed to be a good match for NC10 skin, I found it a touch too yellow for my NW10 skin. I have just placed an order for Dainty Doll foundation and concealer (a range made for pale girls)- so I'll let you know how it is when it arrives.

Belladonna_dea

Familiar Face
I love this. I've spent years trying to find my 'right' colored foundation and always wanted to be a different undertone than I am. I love Loreal's true match because it really is a perfect match AND it's less than $10. I've never purchased MAC or Ben Nye but I know those are excellent products, I'm just cheap really :) so I tried W1 True Match and C2 and they just weren't right so I started to mix them until I realized I'm a neutral. My skin will never look super pale like the lead singer of Evanescence, I'm mixed with different cultures so I have a yellow or olive undertone to my skin. I think it best to match to your real color. It helps buying the right colored dresses and you dont have to work so hard to make it look right with more makeup etc. I also really like Revlon's coverage. Revlon Colorstay foundation and Photoready transluscent powder gives a great vintage effect that I feel give MAC and higher end brands a run for their money. You honestly can't tell the difference between the two once it's on. I've even had underwater photoshoots and that Revlon stayed on the whole time!

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I have given up on MAC- the undertones are either very yellow or very peachy and I need a rose pink undertone. But.....

I think I've found my perfect foundation. On a day -to day- basis I wear True match C1 mixed with a little Dainty Doll in 001 (almost white) and for evening I have Dainty Doll in 002. Now I need some setting powder (I have TM C1 for touch ups) I have Coty airspun but it can sometimes look too cahlky. Dainty Doll do a mineral foundation powder but not a lightweight setting powder! Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Drappa

One Too Many
I use Lily Lolo setting powder, which is white but goes on translucent. It comes in matte or silky and I highly recommend it!

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Review of Dainty Doll Line:

Foundation:
Texture- sheer but creamy. Very nice to use.Can be chalky on dry skin though, escpially the lighter shades.

01 extra light- nearly white, slight pinky tinge. Like Illamsqua 105- but better texture.
02 light- about NC10, very yellow toned
03 medium- about NW12 very peachy toned
04- dark- about NW15-18- very peachy toned

Highlighters- texture is chalky. I only got the green as the MAC one I had previously (blonde ash) was too yellow on me.

Mineral foundation: Hard to get any out of the brush

Pot concealer- slightly drier than MAC Studiofinish- shades match above

Blush- Very powdery
01- Lilac- powdery
02- Bright pink- some sparkles
03- light bronzer

Shadows:
Only tried- Treat her like a lady- the taupe one- not very pigmented but gives a soft wash for belnding. Nice sheen

Lipsticks:
01- Dark red- glossy. Nice shade
02- Bright red- matte- quite a yellow-toned red, not the bdst on cool toned girls
03- Bright pink- similar to impasioned. A yellow toned-pink.
04- Lilac
05- Soft pink- looked shiny but sheer- nice natural rose colour

Also- I'm thinking of getting a Ben Nye powder cake- I'm an NW10 (pink undertone)- any ideas which colour would best suit? Thanks

tamjwhite

New in Town
Review of Dainty Doll Line:

Foundation:
Texture- sheer but creamy. Very nice to use.Can be chalky on dry skin though, escpially the lighter shades.

01 extra light- nearly white, slight pinky tinge. Like Illamsqua 105- but better texture.
02 light- about NC10, very yellow toned
03 medium- about NW12 very peachy toned
04- dark- about NW15-18- very peachy toned

Highlighters- texture is chalky. I only got the green as the MAC one I had previously (blonde ash) was too yellow on me.

Mineral foundation: Hard to get any out of the brush

Pot concealer- slightly drier than MAC Studiofinish- shades match above

Blush- Very powdery
01- Lilac- powdery
02- Bright pink- some sparkles
03- light bronzer

Shadows:
Only tried- Treat her like a lady- the taupe one- not very pigmented but gives a soft wash for belnding. Nice sheen

Lipsticks:
01- Dark red- glossy. Nice shade
02- Bright red- matte- quite a yellow-toned red, not the bdst on cool toned girls
03- Bright pink- similar to impasioned. A yellow toned-pink.
04- Lilac
05- Soft pink- looked shiny but sheer- nice natural rose colour

Also- I'm thinking of getting a Ben Nye powder cake- I'm an NW10 (pink undertone)- any ideas which colour would best suit? Thanks

I know this is an old thread but I really want to try that dainty doll stuff, sounds amazing. But you say it's not a full coverage? I also want to try out the ben nye stuff.

I like very pale pale skin. NC 5- 15

Last edited:

brookenormajean

New in Town
Another good trick if you can't find a liquid foundation light enough you can add manic panics dreamtone white foundation to it, as much or little as you need, works wonders ;)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
^ MAC sells white Face & Body liquid foundation. It isn't on the regular MAC site, it falls under the Pro line. Anyone can buy MAC Pro products though, you don't have to have a pro card. You can order them over the telephone or buy them in a MAC store (not counter). They recently changed the website so you can no longer view the Pro products unless you have a card, and the Pro card gets you a nice discount, but the Pro line is available to everyone.

Illamasqua also makes a white - Rich Liquid Foundation in RF100 or RF105 (slightly more pink). I believe you can order it through their website. Sephora sells the foundation, but not those colors.

Also you can try any costume or magic shops, they should have white foundations available. Ben Nye or Kryolan are usual brands at those shops, and they are very comparable to MAC. Might even be a bit less costly.

Last edited:

tamjwhite

New in Town
I'm gonna be in Vegas in a few weeks and I believe there is a MAC pro store there, If it works out I'll post it here. I also work near a manic panic boutique so I'll go try that as well. Maybe I can do a comparison of the two and post it here :] Which one of the lot have you tried??

brookenormajean

New in Town
I've only tried the manic panic one... I was really really happy with the results so I havn't felt the need to try any others yet! Let me know how you go, it's made a huge difference to my confidence having foundation that actually matches my skin 100%! Have fun in Vegas :)

tamjwhite

New in Town
heehee thank you :] I'm gonna go to the manic panic boutique tomorow so maybe I wont even need to stop by mac! I cant wait to try it thanks for the information :]

I've also heard Anna Sui makes very pale foundations.

BettieBombshellBeauty

New in Town
I second the poster who mentioned Face Atelier Zero Minus. I wouldn't call it high end though, when you consider the price per use. A little bit goes a very long way, and i've had no issue of it spoiling.

This has been a staple in my pro kit. I had a bride with the most lovely porcelain skin that i had ever laid my eyes on. It was practically unreal to me. She had a ridiculous healthy glow to her on top of it without makeup, so i was even more enthralled by her skin.

I ended up using the zero minus straight from the bottle, as none of my cinema secrets foundation was light enough.

tamjwhite

New in Town
I second the poster who mentioned Face Atelier Zero Minus. I wouldn't call it high end though, when you consider the price per use. A little bit goes a very long way, and i've had no issue of it spoiling.

This has been a staple in my pro kit. I had a bride with the most lovely porcelain skin that i had ever laid my eyes on. It was practically unreal to me. She had a ridiculous healthy glow to her on top of it without makeup, so i was even more enthralled by her skin.

I ended up using the zero minus straight from the bottle, as none of my cinema secrets foundation was light enough.

I have the face atelier in porcelain, It's still too dark for me. I did like it at first but sometimes it looks weird...I don't know if it has to do with the way I've put it on or something. But since I'll be picking up the manic panic stuff I'll try mixing it in my my face atelier and I'll post how it works out. Thank you for that info

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21