Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finding the Palest Foundation

Jojo

New in Town
Tourbillion said:
I looked at some of Maybelline's international sites, their color offerings vary a lot by county. Just be glad that you don't live in Sweden or the Netherlands, all of the Maybelline foundations there are way too dark for us pale faces. It seems that everyone there is tan.

I noticed that they are coming out with a new Maybelline foundation, Dream Creamy in the UK, and that it's lightest shade is porcelain, which may be light enough for you. Their Porcelain usually has less yellow in it, which may be the problem with the sand and ivory colors on your skin--I know that is why I can't wear them.

To search for a good foundation in Holland is no fun. I'm a pale Dutchie. And indeed almost every brand of make-up have only darker shades available here in Holland.I don't understand why we have almost only those dark shades in here. It is not as if we have only tanned people.

Al those foundations of maybelline are always to dark for me. And not only for me if i look around here in Holland.

We now have the dream creamy foundation here. It feels very strange like buttercream. So i'm not going to put it on my face.

I use L'Oréal True Match Foundation C1 Rose Ivory. That's the only one pale enough for my skin. With a pink undertone. Because most foundations have a beige or yellow undertone.
Dainty doll was a very good one. sad that asos does not sell it anymore. The rose ivory of loreal matches the dainty doll ivory the most.
To make searching easy, take the foundation you like and use to the drug store, so you can compare. That's how i found mine.

Retro Chick

New in Town
I use L'Oreal True Match Minerals as well, their "rose" shades have a pinky undertone.

For years I thought my problem was that I couldn't find a pale enough foundation for my skin, then I finally figured out it was because they all had yellow undertones and made me look queasy as my skin is pinky!

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Oh the plight of my life, I love being pale, in fact if I could be even paler I would be all over that, but I am pretty sure they don't come much paler than me. But any way after hours of looking in the stores I found Loreal true match bendable compact makeup I use W1 porcelain, It is the lightest warm color they offer. My boyfriend who isn't exactly tan himself put it on his arm once to see what would happen and it looked nearly white, so it's very light. I hope that helped.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I use C1 in the L'Oreal (called Alabaster) and it's as light as W1 but pinkish instead of ivory. My sister uses N1 and I forget what its name is but its their "neutral" - which was too warm for me but just right for her.

User25159

New in Town
I too am VERY fair, so I know how difficult it can be to get something that doesn't make my head look like a pumpkin in comparison to my lily white neck.

Heck yeah on all the True Match girls here! I use W1 (which is weird bc i never thought of myself to have "warm" undertones, but that's what the shade guide told me!) and the color can't be beat!

Something else I LOVE that could work as foundation if your skintype isn't dry is Kat Von D's Tattoo Concealer. It's a liquid, so you could either use it full on and blend it out, or mix it with moisturizer for a little less coverage. I use this in "Light" and it is amazing! It has heavy duty coverage (this corrects my acne scars!!), but doesn't feel like i'm wearing 9 lbs of makeup on my face and it matches my skin tone so i don't have to work harder to cover up my cover up!

Also, in a pinch I use MAC's studiofix pressed powder in NC15 (i think). Hope this helps!

JazzyDame

One of the Regulars
"Your Skin" Foundation by Carmindy

Ladies, have you tried Sally Hansen’s Natural Beauty line, inspired by Carmindy? All of the products in this line are absolutely incredible, but I’m particularly fond of their superb foundation called 'Your Skin'. It’s truly amazing! Coverage is buildable (medium to full), and the consistency is lovely (sort of a creamy, whipped liquid that glides on smooth and velvety and leaves a perfect, semi-matte finish, which means you can skip the powder if you prefer). Although coverage is impeccable, it feels weightless on the skin, not heavy and mask-like, and it’s quite long-lasting, requiring few (if any) touch-ups. I appreciate that it’s paraben- and talc-free, and includes skin-smoothing natural ingredients and antioxidants…I’ve noticed an improvement in the look and feel of my skin since I’ve worn it. The shades are very nice, as well, and they have two very pale, light shades which I love—Porcelain and Ecru Beige. One of the distinctions I’ve noticed in this foundation is that it photographs extremely well. I can’t rave enough about this foundation, and I’ve literally tried them all (including all of the high-end department store offerings). Nothing comes close to 'Your Skin'. The price is affordable, as well, which is certainly a plus; in fact, I can’t believe something of this quality would be sold for so little $$$. You can find it at Rite Aid or CVS. Give it a try, ladies! Your search for the perfect foundation will be over...and you'll be ready for your close-up!

Check it out here, if you wish: http://www.sallyhansennaturalbeauty....eup-Foundation

User25159

New in Town
JazzyDame said:
Ladies, have you tried Sally Hansen’s Natural Beauty line, inspired by Carmindy? All of the products in this line are absolutely incredible, but I’m particularly fond of their superb foundation called 'Your Skin'. It’s truly amazing! Coverage is buildable (medium to full), and the consistency is lovely (sort of a creamy, whipped liquid that glides on smooth and velvety and leaves a perfect, semi-matte finish, which means you can skip the powder if you prefer). Although coverage is impeccable, it feels weightless on the skin, not heavy and mask-like, and it’s quite long-lasting, requiring few (if any) touch-ups. I appreciate that it’s paraben- and talc-free, and includes skin-smoothing natural ingredients and antioxidants…I’ve noticed an improvement in the look and feel of my skin since I’ve worn it. The shades are very nice, as well, and they have two very pale, light shades which I love—Porcelain and Ecru Beige. One of the distinctions I’ve noticed in this foundation is that it photographs extremely well. I can’t rave enough about this foundation, and I’ve literally tried them all (including all of the high-end department store offerings). Nothing comes close to 'Your Skin'. The price is affordable, as well, which is certainly a plus; in fact, I can’t believe something of this quality would be sold for so little $$$. You can find it at Rite Aid or CVS. Give it a try, ladies! Your search for the perfect foundation will be over...and you'll be ready for your close-up!

Check it out here, if you wish: http://www.sallyhansennaturalbeauty....eup-Foundation

Wow this got me excited! I've overlooked the Carmindy line, but now that I'm thinking about it, i'm not sure if it's still around here! I'll definitely have to play detective to find this now!

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I went looking for it last night and found it no problem in my local CVS. I'd like to try it, but I try not to buy make up in the summer when I'm not my usual shade of WASP.

JazzyDame

One of the Regulars
Gracie Lee said:
I went looking for it last night and found it no problem in my local CVS. I'd like to try it, but I try not to buy make up in the summer when I'm not my usual shade of WASP.

Fortunately, 'Your Skin' is offered in some lovely warmer shades as well, so if your complexion becomes a little "sunnier" in the summertime, there's a great variety available to meet your needs. By the way, this foundation holds up beautifully in humid, triple-digit California temperatures here, so it's heat-proof. :)

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Good to know, thank you! I've had a tough time finding make up that doesn't melt (or sweat) off my face in the summer here in Florida.

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
I'm loving Lucy Minerals lately.

Got some samples a month ago and just got full size. Her Fair shade works for me and I am white as a ghost and she will custom blend for you. Her Oil Control foundation and finishing powder really cut down the shine for me.

Website for reference. www.lucyminerals.com

lframe

One of the Regulars
Prescriptives

I miss Prescriptives. They would custom blend your foundation and you get the perfect shade, no matter what.

Shiseido makes some really nice, ultra-light colors as well. The Japanese women feel the ideal complexion is porcelain-pale.

Although the myth that Asian women pursue white skin is to emulate the stereotypically Caucasian beauty, the original reason behind the obsession with the lighter skin has more to do with social class differences than ‘want what you don't have' syndrome. It was believed that a lighter complexion is associated with wealth and higher education levels, whereas darker skin alludes to a life of outdoor labor toiling in the sun.

So, you might also want to look at Japanese lines that are available for purchase as well.

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I got typed by Prescriptives- they typed me as Yellow/orange- which is way out. I found out later that this was Y/O was the only shade to go down near enough plae enough fvor me. So they sold me the peachy blush, the brown eye shadows and lipstick- and I just looked awful. The make-up was good quality though.

The Japanese pale skin obsession may have been influenced by China - according to 'immortal geisha' website "The origins of white face make-up in Japanese culture is largely disputed. It has been said that in the middle ages, the white make-up originated when a Japanese traveler returned from Europe with stories of "pale faced" beauties. it is also been said that it originated from China and was adopted by the ladies of the Japanese court. Considering that the use of white make-up in Japanese history can be dated back as early as the Heian Era (794-1185 AD), a time when Japan was largely influence by the Chinese culture, this seems more likely the case"

I think that it a almost definatly due (in China to start with) to tanned skin being associated with manual labour/low social class as Iframe says above, which brings to mind the European liking of pale skin reportedly for the same reasons. It can also be noted that Asians also have a similar view of pale skin as beautiful (higher castes tend to have paler skin). As an aside currant data suggests that the causasian mutation for white skin started in the Asian continent -and spread westward- infact you can still find native blond haired white skin non-albino asians, though it is rare. In ancient cultures such as the Minoans of Crete women painted thier skin white too and paleoethnologists have remarked that the exagerated features of black eyeliner, white skin and red lips enchance features when the only light available is candle light, and the effect is also somewhat softened when viwed by candlelight. I have heard the exact same thing about Geisha make-up too. Suprisingly I see a lot of similarities between Geisha make-up and popular make-up of the 1940's (though a more subtle version).

I get a lot of ribbing in work for my pale skin and reluctance to sit in the full sun at lunchtimes and my lack of desire to get a tan or praise tanned collegues. I like to think that my aesthetic preference goes back far beyond this modern association with tans and elitism (thank you for that Coco Channel! :( )

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
Tishkaminx said:
I get a lot of ribbing in work for my pale skin and reluctance to sit in the full sun at lunchtimes and my lack of desire to get a tan or praise tanned collegues. I like to think that my aesthetic preference goes back far beyond this modern association with tans and elitism (thank you for that Coco Channel! :( )

Don't worry I know how you feel. Some moron in my class told me I was racist for not wanting a tan.. okay mate.

User25159

New in Town
Tish and Scruff- I know how you guys feel too. In addition to the rest of the world, I'd always get "Why don't you get some sun for once" from my own mother who used to basically live in a tanning bed. (She doesn't anymore, but she has a leather face now and I think about that every time i put my sunscreen on!)

JazzyDame

One of the Regulars
Lisa, Tish, scruff, Belle...I hear ya!

I, too, am constantly ridiculed for my "lack of tan-ness"...living in California, pretty much everyone is tanned into oblivion. To me, it looks quite unnatural, primarily because it is. Either tanning beds or "Spray-on tans" (done professionally at salons) is the order of the day, so everyone is sporting scary-looking orange skin...and it smells really bad (in the case of the spray-on tans). The awful odor is a result of the chemicals that react with your skin to impart the "tan glow". Since I'm often called 'whitey', I generally return volley with 'tan-gerine'. Personally, I think that un-tanned skin maintains a far more youthful appearance than leathery-looking skin that's been charred to keep up with the trends.

Lisa, I miss Prescriptives, too...terribly!! I loved their Flawless Skin Total Protection Foundation, and their color selection was superb. The only foundation I've found (after literally having tried all of the department store offerings as well as drugstore selections) that comes close to Prescriptives quality is Your Skin Makeup by Sally Hansen Natural Beauty (Carmindy's line). The quality, consistency and finish is superior to it's competition, and their pale color selection is really good, as well.

I remember my grandmother telling me that when she would travel to "the City" (San Francisco in it's glamorous prime in the early 1900's) with her family as a young girl, she was always embarrassed that her arms were tanned from her experience working in the sun on the family farm. All of the "society ladies" had pale, porcelain skin that indicated a life of privilege and luxury, not a life that required any amount of manual labor. Interesting that now, in today's culture, a life of privilege, luxury and self-indulgence is synonymous with that of the jet-set lifestyle--lots of time spent on resort or along the riviera, lounging poolside or beachside, soaking up those harmful, damaging rays...*shudders* Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I'll go and slather on more sunscreen (even though I'm indoors!). :)

lframe

One of the Regulars
Ok. So this is going to sound terrible, but I am also pale for my own vanity. At 37, I look like I am years younger, which I love. It would be even more, however I was a surfer during my teens and sunscreen was really not in my vocabulary.

When I posed this question to my husband right now, quite possibly the most bluntly honest man on earth, he said that I looked "fresh, not weathered and beaten like your sister". She's younger than me, but looks older than me or Mom due to her tanning obsession.

So, that is my confession today. While I appreciate natural aging, I do want to keep myself "fresh" for as long as possible w/o any enhancements by a plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

FYI, I will be the person on vacation later this week with enough sunscreen on you could carve your initials into it.

lframe

One of the Regulars
Vitamin D Deficiency

I will say that being so pale comes with issues. When I had my physical I was found to be "severely deficient" in Vitamin D. So, I am taking supplements of 50k IU once a week, in addition to 2k IU on the days that I don't take the 50k for 3 months.

I will be retested in 2 months.

My doctor said since I avoid the sun at all costs, to make sure I do not miss my supplement. She's a sun avoider as well and has had to do the same thing.

lframe

One of the Regulars
Tishkaminx said:

Well, your skin is gorgeous! Let them rib away!

JazzyDame

One of the Regulars
lframe said:
I will say that being so pale comes with issues. When I had my physical I was found to be "severely deficient" in Vitamin D. So, I am taking supplements of 50k IU once a week, in addition to 2k IU on the days that I don't take the 50k for 3 months.

I will be retested in 2 months.

My doctor said since I avoid the sun at all costs, to make sure I do not miss my supplement. She's a sun avoider as well and has had to do the same thing.

Very true, Lisa. I take Vitamin D supplements, as well. I research just about everything (it's a habit, an occupation, an obsession), and I've learned that the best, most easily absorbed, and most naturally-derived form of Vitamin D is Vitamin D-3 as cholecalciferol (in a soft-gel form). I currently take 3,000 IUs a day, but am considering increasing to 4,000. I'm told by my physician that even 6,000 IUs a day would be fine, as you simply cannot get too much of this good thing. Vitamin D-3 is a "wonder-supplement". It's great for improving bone strength, it's great as an anti-inflammatory, and it's wonderful for the cardiovascular system.

For more great info on Vitamin D from an extremely reputable and brilliant cardiologist's perspective, check out http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/getting-vitamin-d-right.html.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points