Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

KBlake

One Too Many
Hi there! Long time lurker here, looking to buy a (reasonable quality) leather jacket that is a step up from fashion brands without the costs of an Aero (although hopefully one day I'll own one:)).

I've had my eyes on fivestar for some time now and I really like the 1930's caferacer jacket (https://www.fivestarleather.us/products/civilian-vintage-1930s-classic-men-real-leather-jacket).

I was wondering if anybody has any experience with the standard patterns and the steerhide leather on this jacket. I tend to fit fashion brands patterns pretty good normally, could I expect the same of this jacket or is custom measurements always the way to go?

Also, is the "standard" steerhide any good? Or should I just go the safe way and order the premium goat?
Love to hear your experiences with this standard pattern.

Thanks in advance and have a great day!
Welcome!

You should absolutely measure a jacket that fits you well and provide those measurements. You can reply to the confirmation email with your requests. Also, I prefer the premium goat to the steer. The goat has more character and mounds to the body better.

Most customizations are no added charge so there’s no reason not to ask for things you want.

Cheers,

Ken

Johhnyheuvel

New in Town
Welcome!

You should absolutely measure a jacket that fits you well and provide those measurements. You can reply to the confirmation email with your requests. Also, I prefer the premium goat to the steer. The goat has more character and mounds to the body better.

Most customizations are no added charge so there’s no reason not to ask for things you want.

Cheers,

Ken
Thanks for your quick response! I'll provide Shaun and his team with the right measurements. Good to know that most customizations don't have an extra charge.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Hi there! Long time lurker here, looking to buy a (reasonable quality) leather jacket that is a step up from fashion brands without the costs of an Aero (although hopefully one day I'll own one:)).

I've had my eyes on fivestar for some time now and I really like the 1930's caferacer jacket (https://www.fivestarleather.us/products/civilian-vintage-1930s-classic-men-real-leather-jacket).

I was wondering if anybody has any experience with the standard patterns and the steerhide leather on this jacket. I tend to fit fashion brands patterns pretty good normally, could I expect the same of this jacket or is custom measurements always the way to go?

Also, is the "standard" steerhide any good? Or should I just go the safe way and order the premium goat?

I have this 1930s civi 5* jacket in their heavyweight horsehide, stock size 46.

It is the same fit as Aero's Cafe Racer/Sheene stock size 42 but with higher arm holes.

Very slim pattern. You can customize measurements like others said but I went stock and it fits just fine.

Premium black goat is the best leather from Shawn, most consistent. If you want a firmer hand like horsehide feel, get it waxed.

If I were to redo my jacket I would slant the chest pocket. I found that these chest pockets are always based on the arm hole, and on higher arm hole patterns they can look too high. Some other maker get around this by slanting the pocket so it still stick with the pattern ratio rule but also don't look as high. I would suggest this. And just go with one outside pocket for more everyday look. Two will have a lot more moto vibes.

FiveStar 2mm Sheene Measurements 013.jpg

Hobbes1

A-List Customer

Hello. The link isn't working for me for some reason. I'll just say a couple of things based on my experience.
1. Always specify every single measurement and detail you want on your jacket. Always. Every time. Every detail.
2. Get the Premium Goat (maybe waxed as that seems pretty nice too) or HH.

Good luck.

Johhnyheuvel

New in Town
Thanks you all, this is all extremely helpful! I'll provide them with the measurements of a jacket that fits me well to try and nail the fit.

As for the hide, I will ask them what is available. The premium goat seems super nice, but a good steerhide is also appealing. All though I wouldn't want that 2mm. Thanks again and have a great weekend all!

KBlake

One Too Many
Thanks you all, this is all extremely helpful! I'll provide them with the measurements of a jacket that fits me well to try and nail the fit.

As for the hide, I will ask them what is available. The premium goat seems super nice, but a good steerhide is also appealing. All though I wouldn't want that 2mm. Thanks again and have a great weekend all!

If you’re willing to spend an extra $100 the horsehide is nice and not very thick. If you’re not willing to to spend the extra $100 the goat really is superior to the “house” steer. Some of the steer has an almost pebbled look to it (like a basketball) and it just doesn’t mold at all to the body. You could wear it for a year and the shape would be exactly the same.

Johhnyheuvel

New in Town
If you’re willing to spend an extra $100 the horsehide is nice and not very thick. If you’re not willing to to spend the extra $100 the goat really is superior to the “house” steer. Some of the steer has an almost pebbled look to it (like a basketball) and it just doesn’t mold at all to the body. You could wear it for a year and the shape would be exactly the same.
Yes the horsehide is also tempting. Any specific hide/type I should ask for?

Better shots. I think Shawn and company have improved for sure. This jacket is flawlessly built. All my other jackets had some small defect, always quite small and trivial but nevertheless, always there. This one does not. It’s impeccably well built. 5 Stars there

Hide gets 10 stars. Feels twice as thick as my other goats. Really stiff, shockingly thick, should age beautifully.

Design is good too. Back yoke should be more pronounced IMO and the original commissioner of this jacket told me that and I overlooked it. The curved back seams would’ve helped make the back more interesting too, I should’ve listened to HM and RD. All in all, for these somewhat costume-y 70’s pieces, I’m absolutely thrilled with it. With some notes off this build I will remake the smoke.
IMG_6090.jpeg
IMG_6091.jpeg
IMG_6082.jpeg
IMG_6086.jpeg
IMG_6081.jpeg

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Better shots. I think Shawn and company have improved for sure. This jacket is flawlessly built. All my other jackets had some small defect, always quite small and trivial but nevertheless, always there. This one does not. It’s impeccably well built. 5 Stars there

Hide gets 10 stars. Feels twice as thick as my other goats. Really stiff, shockingly thick, should age beautifully.

Design is good too. Back yoke should be more pronounced IMO and the original commissioner of this jacket told me that and I overlooked it. The curved back seams would’ve helped make the back more interesting too, I should’ve listened to HM and RD. All in all, for these somewhat costume-y 70’s pieces, I’m absolutely thrilled with it. With some notes off this build I will remake the smoke.
View attachment 523194 View attachment 523195 View attachment 523196 View attachment 523197 View attachment 523198

It came out very nicely overall, there is a significant improvement. Very curious to see the smoke after the tweaks you are planning!

Johhnyheuvel

New in Town

Great jacket! Leather and fit look stunning! I think you convinced me to go with the premium goat haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112