Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the love of coats!

fifi

Familiar Face
I am in love with vintage coats and jackets! Living in L.A. it seems a little counter-intuitive, but our coat closet (my husband is the same way) is filled to overflowing with gabardine coats, strollers, swing jackets, car coats, Pendleton '49ers, and more! We should live in a colder climate. I wear them every time there's even the tiniest chill in the air. Is anyone else so afflicted?

magneto

Practically Family
Me too! There is something about a nice coat or jacket that just makes anyone look so much more pulled together and polished. It drives me crazy when I see someone wearing a skirt or 'proper' trousers topped with some pilled polyester "fleece" (fleece should come from an *animal*, thankyouverymuch!) monstrosity made out of recycled plastic pop bottles (which some wretch has doubtless used as a spitoon).

Today I wandered into the thrift store that is usually a vintage desert, and found a handstitched 50s jacket/car coat(?) with nice big buttons, with a tag from some tailorshop in Kowloon. I sympathize with your warm climate dilemna. I have a fur trapeze jacket I never get to wear without splashing out on transportation to some snowy climate.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I'm totally afflicted. I love the look of seperates, especially suits. I'm dying to make a 30's swagger coat once I find the right pattern. I'm addicted to jackets. My closet is nearly overflowing with them. There's something about a jacket or coat that just MAKES the outfit. I'm thankful for the colder weather (even in california) because it gives us an excuse to wear them!

Naama

Practically Family
Ah! I just couldn't live in a constantly warm climate. I just love the winter time too much! It's hard on one hand if you want to wear skirts and I have a hard time finding right shoes but then again you can wear coat's and stuff!

Naama

maisie

Practically Family
Living in England, I get lots of opportunities to wear a coat! I personlly love the ones with the boucle wool trims and nipped in waists!!

Tin Pan Sally

Coat Freaks Anonymous

I have a separate closet full of vintage coats, capes, boleros, stoles, and umbrellas. Even though I currently live in the Phoenix desert, where the summer temperatures are in the triple digits Fahrenheit, it rarely rains, and almost never snows.
My favorites are:
1) an inherited Donaldsons mink stole with matching earrings (I love clip-ons and screw-backs)
2) early 1940s black nurses cape
I'll be back in the Midwest eventually, where people don't throw "old stuff" away like they do out here. I used to pick up perfect dresses, shoes and (still packaged) stockings at garage sales and thrift stores for .75 cents as a teen. All my best finds were back in Iowa and Indiana.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy