Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foyle's War UK WW II period police drama

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Dewhurst said:
Whoa... we are so like Trekkies who have more accurate and better looking Federation costumes than Jonathan Frakes and Brent Spiner and we can speak Klingon fluently! (Unlike ANYONE on the show.lol )

I'm gonna have to purge this "Retro enthusiast extras who are more accurate than the actors" thing from my mind now. It has disturbing parallels.
I was specifically referring to members like Slimportly, Marc Chevalier and Thunderw21 who wear vintage clothing in such a way that they could have stepped out of a time machine and would therefore put the actors who look uncomfortable in hats to shame.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Inusuit & Gtdean48

Thanks for the feedback, and I appreciate the insight about slight variations in hat creases based on region. Mass media has made all regions homogenous now, and it is interesting to learn about the differences earlier.

There is another angle to the cattleman's crease story; the Colorado School of Mines' tradition about all seniors wearing Open Roads. It would be interesting to see a history of that tradition in photos.

My fav OR clone is this Resistol that I found on Ebay from a seller in Casper, Wyo. It was a cattleman's when I got it. It is a very comfortable hat, really nice felt.
img_1707.jpg

082109011.jpg

Recent trip to Seattle area - son is stationed in Bremerton.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
barrowjh said:
Thanks for the feedback, and I appreciate the insight about slight variations in hat creases based on region. Mass media has made all regions homogenous now, and it is interesting to learn about the differences earlier.

There is another angle to the cattleman's crease story; the Colorado School of Mines' tradition about all seniors wearing Open Roads. It would be interesting to see a history of that tradition in photos.
QUOTE]

Barrowjh,

I ran across the School of Mines Stetson tradition when I was looking for an OR to purchase. A Google search today didn't turn up the page I remember, but there is a reference to CSM Seniors selecting their Stetsons. So I assume the tradition is still in play. I'll poll some of the mining engineers I know, seems I remember a couple to went to Mines.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Don't know how you guys define a cattleman's crease. To me its just a center dent with parallel dents on the sides. I'm pretty sure I have seen examples going back to the mid-19th century. I am not a real big fan of the proportions of the modern low-crowned version, but to me that hardly defines the crease.

barrowjh

One Too Many
See the 'sticky' Amazing Vintage Photos

In that string of photos of haberdashery displays from the 'teens there are some of the creases Richard Warren may be referring to - center dent, with several different side dents. Some side dents are only in the center of each side, and others run the front-to back length of the center crease, similar to a cattleman's, and some of them fit right in with the cattleman's crease, except these are all on fedoras with wide ribbons and brims that likely do not exceed 3 inches.

btw, my definition of cattleman's is not really specific; there are many variations that look all-the-same in a general sort of way, to me. 'Despise' was probably harsher than I intended, I don't really hate that crease, just think it is greatly overused, especially here in the southeast in crowds of wannabe cowboys, all sporting great big cardboard-stiff high crown cattleman's.

Speculating here, but it just seems that the front pinch C-crown would be a likely result of picking up a telescope-crown by the crown, or holding it by the crown (one-handed) to wave it or use as a fan. In those vintage pics from the 'teens note that there are some telescope crown fedoras. After a couple years of wearing almost all C-crowns, I might want to experiment with some of those bashes from the 'teens, definitely a different look from any bashes I had seen prior to the posting of those pics.

SnobrdnDDS

New in Town
Reply to Woodfluter

This is my first post on the Fedora Lounge. I came across it in a Google search for "Foyle's Fedora". I am a hat fancier and am finding the posts on the Fedora Lounge interesting and most informative.

The following comment by Woodfluter moved me to register so that I might add my two cents. Quote:

"Maybe wrongly, I assumed it had something to do with the quirks of the
costumer or director rather than the period...plus one other thing: the actors
just didn't look like they were comfortable wearing hats. They wore them and
handled them in a sort of self-conscious way that the habitual hat wearer would not. If correct, that might explain the dead-square down over the forehead look."

Foyle and his associates have military backgrounds and demonstrate a somewhat military bearing. There were British regulation slouch hats. I am only knowledgable about the regulation wearing of the Australian "Slouch" Hat KFF (Khaki Fur Felt). It can be worn either left side brim up or brim down and very very flat. When worn brim up by regulation it is worn slanted to the right with the hat two fingers up from the left ear. When worn brim down the hat is worn flat left and right no tilt and "dead-square down over the forehead". I can't remember the regulation distance above the eyebrow but there is one. The Ghurkas wear their flat brimmed hats rakishly cocked to the right. They are so conscientious about the flat brim that they use a double layer brim to keep it extremely stiff and flat. I think their wearing with the brim flat is an exception.

I would suggest that Foyle's very flat brimmed hat might be being worn in a manor consistent with military regulation wear of a flat brimmed hat. The crush of his fedora is somewhat similar to the Australian regulation crush though that varies some.

I think Foyle looks very sharp and not in the least self conscious. His partner on the other hand does seem a bit self conscious. That may be his ability as an actor as well as hat wear.

I have two Aussie Slouch hats. One is an issue Akubra dated 1956 with the left side brim up. It has an original (I think) Australian Army Rising Sun hat badge and seven fold puggaree. I do wear it but not as often as the David Morgan Akubra that came with a civilian four fold puggaree and no badges. I did replace the four fold puggaree with a seven fold military pugaree purchased from Lawrence Ordinance in Sydney. I wear it often and I wear it flat brimmed and very square no badges much the same as Foyle wears his Fedora. I am only aware of the hat because I love it but do not think I am particularly self conscious about. I don't think Foyle is either.

Bill, respectfully submitted.

Howard

Cpl Burn

New in Town
This is my first post too:)

It may well be that the hats in question fall within the official utility clothing specs for the war known as CC41 (after the lable attached to all clothing) The CC41 clothing range was made to be strong, easy to make and use as little fabric as possable but were often quite plain compaired to pre war styles, which might explain the flat brims.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Welcome, welcome!

SnobrdnDDS said:
I think Foyle looks very sharp and not in the least self conscious.

Agreed. Michael Kitchen appears perfectly "comfortable" in hats.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Interesting speculation gentlemen.
I agree thatFoyle wears his hat well and it's as meticulously maintained as his suits and coat. Although it did age through the series and was certainly a little less stiff by the end of the war.

He does wear another hat on the show and it's quite the opposite of his "on duty" look. Whenever fishing he wears a battered old fedora with an almost stingy brim that he wears flipped up of down. So perhaps as suggested the flat brim reflects a military precision.

This is the best fishing pic I could find...

203i.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Coming in late on this one

Some have been unkind to the hats in this program. I thought the show was pretty good, but sometimes dull.

But - I heard an interview with teh costume and set designers and director who insist that the hats (and clothes) were very carefully chosen, and designed to match a specific look, carefully researched. The show is recognised as one of the most accurate in every detail of any WW2 program ever made.

Can We Please Talk About "Foyle's War"?

Has anyone ever seen this show? D.C.S. Foyle has some DAMN fine suits, damn fine. The only thing I object to is how little he seems to take off his over-coat, especially while he's out on a case. You infrequently get a really good look at his whole ensemble. Don't even get me started on his fedoras, what a man among men! I whole heartedly agree with the statement "The 40's had so much style they even made a war look good." The clothes alone are reason enough to watch this show, but it's also quite good in its own right. What do you think about the fashion here? What are some of your favorite examples? Also, let's not forget the character "Sam" and her curly, blond, 40's-style hair and bright red lip-stick. Woof...

carldelo

One Too Many
^^^
Well, I think that picture makes me want to iron my brims flat and buy a three-piece suit. Now where did my driver get off to....

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
I love the way they work so many details of coping with everyday life during the war into the plots without making them seem forced. And the clothing looks great on folks from all walks of life is well done.

carldelo

One Too Many
Never heard of it, but I love the looks, except for the pinch in the 1st photo. It just doesn't sit right with me.

Yeah, that pinch is not my taste either (although I like the flattened brim). I think there was more variety and personalization in creases back then, so it seems right.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Wonderful show! Yes, there have been some good discussion about it here. Shows the "real life" side of the war that doesn't get talked about much. I believe there's a scene in which a whole bunch of plywood painted gray masquerades as the Queen Mary in one episode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner