Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-1 jacket creak solved

jerseyboy

New in Town
1974 imperial. I tried this it seems to work. Dust the jacket everywhere including all crevices in the shoulder area. then wipe with dry towel. make sure to include under the collar! Let me know if it works for you

jerseyboy

New in Town
I'm actually surprised that worked. I would have expected it to be due to dryness and have Waxed it instead. No?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jacket has been neetsfoot oiled every couple of years. It is the standard Imperial "cowhide creak syndrome". It was a happy accident that worked for me.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
My Eastman Luftwaffe creaked liked Dracula getting out of his coffin so I just rubbed it with some Ko Cho Line and that stopped it, I think any conditioner would work to be honest. Occasionally I use Nikwax as well though it smells of linseed oil.
I also had some Power Ranger bike boots with plastic protection so just sprayed the plastic with WD40 and that cured the creaking.

Only place this bothers me is in the movie theaters. Otherwise, I too kinda like it. Any conditioner, oil, etc. only lasts until I buff the jacket after a couple days, at most. Only way I think it to just get lots of miles on them - which few here do ;)

Peacoat

Bartender
Only place this bothers me is in the movie theaters. Otherwise, I too kinda like it. Any conditioner, oil, etc. only lasts until I buff the jacket after a couple days, at most. Only way I think it to just get lots of miles on them - which few here do ;)
How do you buff it, like with a shoe brush?

Peacoat

Bartender
I have a nice thick HH brush (no longer available) I bought back in the early 60s. It survived high school, college, Army Aviation, including a tour in RVN and law school. I still have it all these years later. It has never lost a single bristle and is in as good of shape as the day I bought it. Would you recommend something like this brush to buff the jackets? And what purpose does the buffing serve? This is the first I have heard of you talk about buffing the jackets.

I have a nice thick HH brush (no longer available) I bought back in the early 60s. It survived high school, college, Army Aviation, including a tour in RVN and law school. I still have it all these years later. It has never lost a single bristle and is in as good of shape as the day I bought it. Would you recommend something like this brush to buff the jackets? And what purpose does the buffing serve? This is the first I have heard of you talk about buffing the jackets.
I just do it like the finishing point of my shoes/boots. I kinda dig the shine, and it's just something I enjoy doing. I know there was a guy here (I think he's banned now) that used to post up brushing his jackets in every thread - a different type of brush though like boar's hair or whatever...
Shining up things just reminds me of my Dad and Grandpa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy