Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gone Country?

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
No harm done with the "cookie cutter" comment. I'm just holdin' up the western end of things. The positive outcome is that you'll show up in a proper cowboy hat. Keep an eye peeled for those tall-crown, wide-brimmed Resistols from the early 80's that pop up on eBay--those are fine hats with a terrific, almost-dress-like finish. By the way, I'm half-French Canadian myself, so I have an interest in seeing Canadian hats getting their proper due.

One of the Regulars
johnnycanuck said:
Rick Blaine - do you have any first hand experience with Smithbilt? I know I have one of there "scout" models. A wool felt that has kept up better then some fir felts I own. But I have not heard anything about there fir felt hats. Any information will help this process.
Johnny

Smithbilt makes very good hats. I've got five and wouldn't hesitate to get another, although their prices have skyrocketed since the business changed hands a few years ago. :eek:
By all means go to the factory when you are in Calgary in January. I bought 3 of mine straight from the factory. You can specify brim width, crown height, etc. Basically a custom hat.

vintage68

Practically Family
If you're up in Canada there's a company I've done business with that makes a lot of hats for western films, among them Lonesome Dove. Check these guys out:

http://www.thelastbestwest.com/cowboy_hats.htm

They even have a section on the website called Masters of Rodeo with rodeo specific lids:

http://www.thelastbestwest.com/rodeo_cowboy_hats.htm

If they don't have the hat you want they can make it and their prices are reasonable.

Ask for a guy named Longfellow. Very nice guy and knowledgeable.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Four Abreast in a P/U Truck!!

Never heard that one before!! I looked at Knudsen hats but didnt think his pricing and delivery were reasonable. I thought, why not contact JW Hats and get one of his 50/50 hats in the Jimmy Stewart model. Said he could do anything I wanted. I now have to save up the 200 bucks for the Beaver Blend!! I was impressed with the hat making thread above. Just an idea, but two weeks is better than 3-4 months, plus cheaper!!!

LEUII

One of the Regulars
That's an urban legend. Cowboys rolled up the brims a long time before trucks. I allows you to throw a better loop.

J.T.Marcus said:
Most long-time collectors have a few cowboy hats. They do, however, have an aversion to curling the brim up on both sides! (I once heard a historian say cowboys didn't do that to their hats until they started riding three abreast in pick-up trucks.) :D

Havana

One of the Regulars
I have one of their straws. It's HUGE! with a 5 inch brim. It's like an early 20th century buckaroo style (think Tom Mix). I bought it as a novelty but it turned out to be a nice budget hat. I think I paid around $15 US for it. It had a cheap band that I replaced. The sweatband is synthetic which stinks but is to be expected for the price.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
johnnycanuck said:
- do you have any first hand experience with Smithbilt? I know I have one of there "scout" models. A wool felt that has kept up better then some fir felts I own. But I have not heard anything about there fir felt hats. Any information will help this process.
Johnny

Johnny, I have a "3X Quality" Smithbilt that I won on OFAS about a year ago. It was presented to the original owner on a visit to Calgary. It is a long-standing tradition for Calgary officials to present Smithbilt hats to visiting dignitaries.

I had bought it with the idea that I would convert it into a fedora, but it is such a true classic (4" brim, full 6" crown), I haven't had the heart to alter it. So it has hung on a peg in my 'hat room' for nearly a year.

Like most cowboy hats, it is very, very stiff and made with very thick felt. Overall, it appears to be a well-built hat, but the sweatband looks suspiciously like imitation leather.

ideaguy

One Too Many
Johnny: I've got a pile of Western hats that I'm ready to part with-Stetsons,
Resisitols, Baileys-one is a 100X-most of them in lighter shades, a few are White/ Ivory...PM me if you're at all interested-let me know what size you need. By the way- 50%of them are vintage, the other half are brand-new (or NOS). Give me a holler before I put them up on that auction site...

One of the Regulars
vintage68 said:
If you're up in Canada there's a company I've done business with that makes a lot of hats for western films, among them Lonesome Dove. Check these guys out:

http://www.thelastbestwest.com/cowboy_hats.htm

They even have a section on the website called Masters of Rodeo with rodeo specific lids:

http://www.thelastbestwest.com/rodeo_cowboy_hats.htm

If they don't have the hat you want they can make it and their prices are reasonable.

Ask for a guy named Longfellow. Very nice guy and knowledgeable.

They've got some great lids on that site. I believe Smithbilt makes the hats for them.

Cattlemans Bash = Open Road

You could get a Stetson Open Road or one of the many clones on Ebay as it has that gentleman's cowboy look that coverts to Fedora pinch quite nicely.

Dobbs Westward and Resistol San Antonio are clones add that Campdraft from Akubra which you need to order from Australia.

One of the thread on Open Roads has a list of the names of some of the clones we have found.

vintage68

Practically Family
GentlemanFarmer said:
Love that website. I really like The Monty and The Cattle Baron. Those are two really nice "go to town" or rather "out on the town" hats. I might have a different crown put on them, but I love the brims on those two. Very classy.

You're welcome. What is the Fedora Lounge for expect to turn fellow enthusiasts on to cool little shops and other people?! Check out Jaxonbilt Hat Co for another quality operation. Just have plenty of patience since he's very much in demand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21