Gone Country?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by johnnycanuck, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Russ

Russ One of the Regulars

Here's a follow up to my Akubra Arena purchase. It only stayed in its untouched form for about 10 minutes! I took a quick photo on the veranda for a historical record. Unfortunately the one feature I don't yet understand on my camera is "auto" :) and the photo turned out very small!
    [​IMG]

It was a nice big stiff western hat with gorgeous red liner.

Here it is after reblocking, brim trimming and ribbon change.

[​IMG]

I love this hat now. It was pretty cool as a cowboy hat, but it wasn't me, and was a bit much for metropolitan Tokyo.

2. Razzman

Razzman One Too Many

You might want to give Buckaroo Hatters a shout. Majormoore is a FL member, and is real easy to work with. He's got some fine looking western hats.

http://www.buckaroohatters.com/

3. L HATLEY

L HATLEY One of the Regulars

hat conversation

Russ the hat looks Great. I have a 10x resistol that i am serisouly
    planning on turning into a Indy Jones Hat. the plus, is it is already dark brown.
    Now where did i put that brown ribbon...

4. jml90

jml90 One of the Regulars

5. carter

carter I'll Lock Up

Canadian Western

Here's a picture of A Biltmore XXX Beaver that I picked-up on Ebay for under $40.00. Some of the hats out of Canada are very good quality.

[​IMG]

6. J.T.Marcus

J.T.Marcus Call Me a Cab

Carter, You really did well with that Biltmore. I hope the fit is every bit as good as the appearance!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

7. carter

carter I'll Lock Up

J.T., I just stumbled across it and thought it looked a bit like a Boss of the Plains. Then I looked a bit closer and noted the bound brim and the ribbon treatment. Since it was my size (7 5/8) I decided to place a bid. Lo and behold, I won. Here's hoping it's a keeper. :)

8. pistolpete

pistolpete Familiar Face

Rich Rand...

...all pure beaver and amazing, check him out. Bang! Bang!

9. 007

007 One of the Regulars

So did you get a hat in time for the CFR, Johnny?

10. Prairie Shade

Prairie Shade A-List Customer

My Two Bits

Love it! Boss of the Plains it is as far as I'm concerned. When it arrives, please post some pics. I'm waiting on a couple of hats from JW Hats, one of which is similar in black. Not 40 dollars.

11. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

Thanks for all your feedback. I think I will be waiting for my trip to Calgary to get one made up by Smithbilt. Thanks again. I will post when I get the hat.
    Johnny

12. 007

007 One of the Regulars

Good call. Might as well get it done exactly to your specs when you have the opportunity.

13. Uncle Vern

Uncle Vern One of the Regulars

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I figured I might as well throw in a few photos from my hat collection. The big Gus is a late-70's Resistol with a 7-inch crown and 4-inch brim. The tan Gus is a late 70's Resistol with a 3.5-inch brim and a 5.5-inch crown. The grey Resistol is late 70's with a 6-inch crown and 4-inch brim. The Stumpy is an old Miller Brothers hat with a 6.75-inch crown and a 3-inch brim.
    One of the things I've discovered is that dark brown hats eat sunlight. They absorb so much light that it's hard to see the details of various blocks. It makes me work harder at accentuating, emphasizing the brim shapes and curls, and making the creases tighter.

14. J.T.Marcus

J.T.Marcus Call Me a Cab

Uncle Vern, Looking good! I mean really good!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

15. Sweet collectio

Thanks for sharing. You've got a great collection.

16. Uncle Vern

Thanks, guys. They're all thrift store finds. In my zeal to show off some of my hats, I forgot why I posted them in the first place, which was to demonstrate how easily a basic cattleman's-style western hat can be converted to a "Gus." These hats are all conversions.

17. CactusJax

CactusJax Familiar Face

[​IMG]I like custom. Living in Texas we have a large number of social functions with a Western Theme... It's a drag when you shop around, buy a nice hat and you see three more of them at the party... These are all 7x beaver made by a local custom hatter. He is really into the oldies. He has Stetson posters with all of their styles going back years. 2 of then were under $200 US. I can't remember about the top hat (or as my wife calls it my "been watching too much Deadwood hat")

You can't go wrong with an Open Road either. I call mine my Redneck Umbrella. Every Spring I purchase a new straw one too.

[​IMG]

18. Uncle Vern

Nice hats. Who is the hatter?

19. CactusJax

CactusJax Familiar Face

Thanks Uncle Vern

Mike Helms @ Mikes Custom Hatters, Longview, Tx. I can get his number if you like. He used to be in a Western store. The couple that owned it retired. He stayed there and seems to have done well without the store...

20. Uncle Vern