Guess What Year I Am!

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Undertow, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Undertow

Undertow My Mail is Forwarded Here

Mr. Chevalier had done something similar to this in the suits section. I thought we could have a little fun trying to determine the year (say, within a few years, give or take) some photos were taken. This will hopefully help everyone hone their ability to identify specific eras, as well as provide newer members with something more tangible.

So describe what leads you to believe the following photo was taken in [x] year. The first one is a curveball... ;)

[​IMG]

2. Yeps

Yeps Call Me a Cab

I am horrible at this, but the key details are clearly the pegged trousers and the women's hats (imo). I would guess pre-WWII, but beyond that I am not sure. Also the fully fashioned stockings.

3. Yeps

Yeps Call Me a Cab

For whoever is next:
    [​IMG]

4. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

I'd say just about 1937 or 38. It's the hat on the lady in the background. That sort of conical thing (pretty ugly if you ask me) was real popular for a short period just about then.

5. Undertow

Undertow My Mail is Forwarded Here

Bingo! You were both right on. The picture was snapped in 1939. I thought the subject's jacket and hat would throw you guys off but apparently not!
    Yeps, I wanna say late 20's or maybe early 30's. The trousers are mostly around the waist, and one set of lapels is quite thin while another set is at least a little larger than "modern" lapels.

6. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

I was gonna guess 1938. lol. I'm good at dating photos. Very good!! Buildings, too.

7. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Here's one.

[​IMG]

The location is Chicago, the season is summer.

8. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

Women are easier to date than men. Men all look the same.....:/

9. BigFitz

BigFitz Practically Family

I have no idea Lizzie, but I'll guess 1948.

10. Yeps

Yeps Call Me a Cab

It's a bit of a curve ball because of the location. This picture was taken in a small town in southern Italy.

11. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Gosden and Correll exiting the Merchandise Mart in 1936?

12. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

You're only off by a year -- pic was taken August 22, 1935. They went in big for sportswear -- and if it was really hot out, would occasionally broadcast in their underwear. (I shall spare you all pictures of such.)

13. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Where and when? And who?

[​IMG]

14. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

The gal on the far right looks like Adolph "Harpo" Marx in drag....

15. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Tsk. In her day she was a legend thruout New England, and is one of only a handful of fans to be honored by the Baseball Hall of Fame.

16. Yeps

Yeps Call Me a Cab

I don't have an exact date, but it is mid 40s, shortly after WWII. That is one of my cousins in Italy with his army buddies after the war.

17. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

Here's one. A high school yearbook picture:

[​IMG]

18. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Those eyebrows look awfully 1936 to me.

19. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

1934! The hair looks much later -- kind of late 40s/50s. And the neck scarf sometimes throws people off into thinking it's 50s, too lol

20. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

My pic is 1948 -- it's Megaphone Lolly Hopkins and her Lolly-Pops, taking in the World Series at Braves Field in Boston. Lolly was a fixture at Boston baseball games from the thirties thru the fifties, and despite being a dignified middle-aged lady, was known to bellow loudly thru her megaphone: WELL DONE BOYS! MR. UMPIRE, DO HAVE YOUR EYES EXAMINED! Her Lolly-Pops were young acolytes who rooted loudly without the need for amplification.

I'd have thought those platform sandals first from the left would have been a dead postwar giveaway. You don't get much more New Looky shoes than that.