Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guess What Year I Am!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I was gonna say 1946 for LM's pic. The pic above -- hmmm. Men are harder for me to date because I don't know the subtleties as well as I know women (like LM honing in on those eyebrows in my picture!) 1951?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Buster Keaton came to mind when I saw it (but I knew it wasn't him!) And I knew it was a movie star in his older years, but could not place his face!!!

davidraphael

Practically Family
And here's one from me:
August-Sander-Radio-Station-Secretary-1931.jpg

davidraphael

Practically Family
" It's Raymond Godfrey Twyeffort, NYC's very expensive "peacock tailor", in 1952."

hah. I assure you I'm no master; a wild guess at best.

Young Buster Keaton doing an impersonation of Edna St. Vincent Millay, c. 1928?

Buster seems to be appearing in all these photos in one form another! ;)
If my photo is of Buster you'd have to work out whether the picture was taken in the parlor, bedroom or bath...*

*sneaky cryptic clue.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
People! This is getting chaotic here. Let's finish one before we go on to another, OK? But it's a fun idea. I have to do some digging into my pile of old pics.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't have an exact date, but it is mid 40s, shortly after WWII. That is one of my cousins in Italy with his army buddies after the war.

Wow, that really had me off. I was looking at the lapels on the far left and the button stance - just didn't look anywhere near the 30's, 40's or 50's while the fellow in the DB had wide enough lapels to look 30's/40's or maybe early 50's. Nice picture!

Might have been taken by a street photographer whom tourists paid to get a natural photo of them walking down the street in whatever city they were in.

I'm wondering myself. Unfortunately, I have no history on the photograph beside the date. :(

Lily Powers

Practically Family
And here's one from me:
August-Sander-Radio-Station-Secretary-1931.jpg

Ok, based on this:
dvidraphael said:
Buster seems to be appearing in all these photos in one form another!
If my photo is of Buster you'd have to work out whether the picture was taken in the parlor, bedroom or bath...*

*sneaky cryptic clue.

Then this:
Lizzie Maine said:
Gad, it couldn't be Charlotte Greenwood?

And finally this:
davidraphael said:
Nope. The subject is an unknown German secretary...but you're getting ever so close to the answer

The photo was taken in 1931, when Charlotte Greenwood (as Polly Hathaway) was in "Parlor, Bedroom and Bath," a comedy with Buster Keaton (as Reginald Irving)! Ta Da!!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Charlotte Greenwood = Philly love <3!!!

Another yearbook photo:

4444896603_fe591095c6_o.jpg

lol mine are so easy!!! lol

Lily Powers = Hmm...I'll say your picture is 1935?? England. Just a guess! :)

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Since I'm pretty confident DavidRaphael's entry is solved, in what year do you think this was photographed? And where - US? Europe? Asia?

000012b1_big.jpeg

I'd say 1938, the year most of the gasmasks were given out just after the Munich crisis. Place? Hmmmm Singapore? Doesn't look like mainland Europe.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
W-D Forties said:
I'd say 1938, the year most of the gasmasks were given out just after the Munich crisis. Place? Hmmmm Singapore? Doesn't look like mainland Europe.
I had a hard time just looking past the dresses and shoes. Close on the year and bit east of the locale.

Lily Powers = Hmm...I'll say your picture is 1935?? England. Just a guess! :)

Ding! Lovely, smart and clever on year and place! ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Another yearbook photo:

4444896603_fe591095c6_o.jpg

There's something very Depression-looking about these gals, so I'll guess maybe 1934, although that plaid skirt on the girl in the front-and-center looks later than that. In fact, I think I had that exact skirt in high school myself.

It's pretty clear that girl runs the whole school, and has the milk money and bootleg cigarette rackets under firm control. The tall one to the right of her is her brutal enforcer, who keeps the eighth-graders firmly in line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points