Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help to choose a A-2 horsehide jacket

RockSolid

One of the Regulars
Hello
It's me again, i'm flooding the forum with posts these times

So i need your help to choose a A-2 horsehide jacket, i've seen many but sometimes i'm a bit lost, i would not like to order a fake
I bought one size 36 one year ago from Japan for my brother, i don't even know which brand (i joined a pic if you can help id it), and i fell in love with the style
My budget is around 400e max and i'm buying in Japan so i can combine shipping with 2 other jackets
I've seen some brands like vanson, realmcccoy, buzzrickson, avirex
Some are pretty expensive and out of my range, and it isn't easy to find them in size 42

For now i've seen these :

Vanson : https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/o370829158
vanson.png

Another vanson : https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f398434812
vansob.png

Unknown :
Sans titre.png

Thanks in advance

This one is the size 36 i need to id:
slTDqGC.jpg

Last edited:

RockSolid

One of the Regulars
Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm trying to learn, if i can avoid stupid mistakes where is the problem
No problem at all. I will say that the A-2 is one of the harder styles to get right since there is very little room for error when it comes to fit. A little bit too large looks like a potato sack while a little bit too small is painful to wear.
You might have much better luck buying a jacket that you are able to try on first rather than buying one from halfway around the world. For reference, I bought all of my A-2s online and it took me three tries to finally get one that fits well. That is an expensive way to learn!
Regarding the jackets you posted I would not order an A-2 from Vanson. They are one of my favorite makers when it comes to motorcycle jackets but the A-2 is a little out of their territory. Check out the VLJ as handymike suggested, those guys know everything about these jackets.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
You don't want to buy a fake? Not sure what this means. They are all fakes or copies of a WW2 style. Some are better copies than others. Some of this comes down to educated opinion or opinionated arrogance. You could spend a few weeks researching this.

Last edited:

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
Blackadder said:
You can get a brand new one for 450E
https://jadubowmfg.com/a-2-jackets/

Interesting thanks
"Interesting thanks" looks not enough by all means in this case 'cause you've just been advised with the only perfect choice for such small budget you declared. Moreover, it's going to be a perfect choice still even in case you'll twice your budget.

A-2s are a whole sub-culture. You might find lots of info on the VLJ forum.
https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/forums/general-flight-jacket-discussion.5/
Totally correct!

RockSolid

One of the Regulars
Many thanks
I'll go search the forum you linked me
And if you think dubow is the best choice i'll probably buy one

Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
You can get a brand new one for 450E
https://jadubowmfg.com/a-2-jackets/
100% agree
After years of buying and wearing A-2s, owning from almost everyone, GW, BK,ELC, AERO, Platon's, LW and many others... plus owning one original WW2 A-2.... Have to say that Platon's Dubow above is a no-brainer.
For the price its the best deal out there for a high-end authentic-as-possible horsehide A-2.
Trick is... Will the Dubow pattern fit (Platon's, like BK's and GWs, are true to WW2 fit), only option is seal or russet, no customisations and they are not returnable. If this works for you, you win.
Tip - go for one size up. I am 5'10/ 5'11 and 72kgs, 39-40" chest... I wear a WW2 A-2 size 42 and a 40 or 42 long in most high end repros (GW 40L, ELC 40L, BK 42L etc) and a 42 in Platon's Dubow fits well.
I'd buy one of these again, before any secondhand jacket...

RockSolid

One of the Regulars
100% agree
After years of buying and wearing A-2s, owning from almost everyone, GW, BK,ELC, AERO, Platon's, LW and many others... plus owning one original WW2 A-2.... Have to say that Platon's Dubow above is a no-brainer.
For the price its the best deal out there for a high-end authentic-as-possible horsehide A-2.
Trick is... Will the Dubow pattern fit (Platon's, like BK's and GWs, are true to WW2 fit), only option is seal or russet, no customisations and they are not returnable. If this works for you, you win.
Tip - go for one size up. I am 5'10/ 5'11 and 72kgs, 39-40" chest... I wear a WW2 A-2 size 42 and a 40 or 42 long in most high end repros (GW 40L, ELC 40L, BK 42L etc) and a 42 in Platon's Dubow fits well.
I'd buy one of these again, before any secondhand jacket...

Thanks for your feedback, i keep reading that dubow are the best for the price, i know what to do now

Also i've seen this one, a morgan, made in korea ?
Will not fit but i wanted to share it just to have your opinion :
a2.png

Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
Weren't Morgans Japanese? Nice enough jacket, but the one in the pic, the leather looks flat and lifeless. Even my Cockpit Government issue A-2 has more character than this.

RockSolid

One of the Regulars
Weren't Morgans Japanese? Nice enough jacket, but the one in the pic, the leather looks flat and lifeless. Even my Cockpit Government issue A-2 has more character than this.

I have seen few with made in korea or made in china tags so i don't know
I like shiny jackets but this one feel like plastic

Also i read that some dubow jackets were manufactured by lost worlds, maybe i should try to find one used

Brettafett

One Too Many
Also i read that some dubow jackets were manufactured by lost worlds, maybe i should try to find one used
I had a LWs Dubow. Nice enough jacket, robust and solid. I liked the colour of the horsehide. However, this jacket is not in the same league as BK or Platon's Dubows. Leather was heavy and thick, and lacked bit of character.
Worth a look maybe, but unless you can snag one really cheap, why? When you can get a JaDubow for 450 Euros new, on par with any GW, ELC or other high end A-2!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy