Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HELP ... WHERE to start?

parachutage

New in Town
Ok, guys I have been here a week and I now ready to take the plunge and go vintage. But ... where to start?

As my Drill Sergeant said in Basic Training: "Well start with the cover...."

Any help that FL can provide a newbie would be wonderful.

Don't hold it against me that I am a reenactor! :p

Thanks!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Start by looking through your wardrobe and seeing what you already have that fits the bill, and then look for what you are missing. Deckard has posted a Basic Wardrobe Primer somewhere that is useful as a list. It is a sticky in perhaps the General Attire and Accoutrements (sorry, I have to spell it right) section. Don't bust the bank right away buying a bunch of "vintage" stuff. See what you have that works, and go to Goodwill (or another charity shop) and the cheaper antique shops and vintage shops, and get a few things, build up your wardrobe gradually.

For special items, shell out a bit more on Ebay, and for very special items, try Magnoli and the other fine folks who advertise on the Fedora Lounge.

Soon you will have a marvelous wardrobe and you will need to build more space for all your clothing.

That's my 2 cents.

Miss 1929

And there will never be enough space...

Also, if you pick a certain era/range of years, it will be helpful to narrow the focus a bit. There's a world of difference between 40s and 60s menswear for instance.

I suggest buying some Esquire magazines, or Sears Roebuck catalogs (there are reprints) from the eras you are into, they will be really helpful to see what goes with what.

Also, Dover has a series of paperback reprints of selected pages of mail order catalogs, there are volumes for the 20s, 30s and 40s.

The Esquire Encyclopedia of 20th Century Men's Fashion is a great book if you can find a copy.

And don't forget to have FUN with it!!!! The Fashion Police can go hang!

Undertow

You know, I think each person starts where they feel most comfortable. I started with fedoras because I've always been drawn to them. Then I moved into suits and shoes. From there shirts and accessories. And soon to follow were etiquette, style, class, etc.

However, some people start with the etiquette and style because that's how they were raised, and they move into suits and accessories because it's their dress code. I'm sure you see where I'm going with this.

I say do a little self-searching. What is it your drawn to? What makes you revere the era (or eras)? Identify what you're most passionate about first. Then go from there, and believe me it's a long, fun ride.

And as others much wiser than I have already said, once you've identified what you're after, there are many outlets for said merchandise. :)

Carlisle Blues

A good place to begin may be in the Hat section "What are you wearing today" thread. Welcome the Fedora Lounge is a nice place and the people here are knowledgeable and very nice. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dr Doran

Undertow said:
You know, I think each person starts where they feel most comfortable. I started with fedoras because I've always been drawn to them. Then I moved into suits and shoes. From there shirts and accessories. And soon to follow were etiquette, style, class, etc.

However, some people start with the etiquette and style because that's how they were raised, and they move into suits and accessories because it's their dress code. I'm sure you see where I'm going with this.

Yeh, I never got around to the etiquette part.

parachutage

New in Town
doran, miss_1929, lady_day, foofoogal, undertoe, carlisleblues ... Thanks to all of you that have posted thus far. ;) lady_day, thanks for the links - I am going there right now. I can see there is going to be a lot of research and a ton of reading. Many thanks to everyone who has replied.

I have chosen the time period 1936-1939 just prior to the start of the Second World War and want the look representative of the style and fashion before the panzers rolled into Poland.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran