Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with Leggings

farnham54

A-List Customer
Hey Guys,

I normally only frequent the Ob Bar, but I know there are more then a few re-enactors around here that may be able to help me with a lil' problem.

I've recently gotten into WWII re-enacting, and have aquired a set of leggings.

How the heck does a guy go about lacing these things up properly? Is there a 'right' way to do it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Craig

Baggers

Practically Family
If you're referring to the U.S. khaki M1938 Dismounted Leggings, then maybe I can help.

The image isn't great, but let's see if this will explain things:

Legginsdustin.jpg

The lace is simply knotted at one end and then threaded through all the eyelets with enough of a loop on the outside to pass over the corresponding hooks. It was then tightened up and fastened using one of the methods illustrated depending on the number of eyelets at the top.

Of course, the laced side went to the outside of the leg and the webbing strap passed under the sole of the boot just in front of the heel and through the buckle, again facing to the outside.

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Craig! Good to see you around, old boy! How have you been?! Must be old home week here. Halliburton popped up in another thread, and I haven't seen him in ages, either.

Baggers, I echo Craig's thanks on the info. I knew leggings weren't just laced up like a boot, otherwise they wouldn't have the eyelet and hook combination. Still, I never thought to ask. Much like wrapping a puttee, there is more to the art that meets the eye!

Craig, will you be at the QM to pay up on that pint?

macawber

Familiar Face
Thanks for the photo as I have a pair of leggings for work to keep grass seeds and sawdust out of my boots when I'm using a chainsaw. They work really well; just the info. I was looking for.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Where else??????

What other place could you get complete instructions for tieing leggings!! I was close on my own, but no cigar!!!!!

farnham54

A-List Customer
Hey Jack & Mr. Bern!

It's good to hear from you folks too! The QM doesn't look like it'll happen this year though, finances are a little tight (Pray that Tribute Minerals goes to a couple of bucks a share, then I'll BUY the darn ship for us to use year-round :p). I hope all has been well with the two of you; for such a short weekend I feel very lucky to have met such fine gents as yourselves! Hopefully we'll have a chance to catch up properly soon!

No unit yet; Re-enacting isn't very popular here in Canada, but the uniforms of the War have always held a spot in my heart as being symbolic of a great generation.

If you guys are ever in the Toronto area, let me know!

Cheers
Craig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot