Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horsehide a poor substitute for Cowhide

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredS

One of the Regulars
Quote"So here's a belated news-flash for all those experts out there who, over the years, have pronounced loud and long on the side of horsehide: Hate to say this, guys, but the Emperor definitely isn't wearing any clothes! Horsehide is, and always will be, a poor substitute for cowhide!"Unquote

http://www.holsters.org/which.htm

Whatever. Tell the collectors here with 70+ year old WWII flight jackets that look new that they suck. And find a thread here where "we" say cow/steer sucks. I'll wait.

"If it's in the Internet, it's got to be true"
Lord.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Whatever. Tell the collectors here with 70+ year old WWII flight jackets that look new that they suck. And find a thread here where "we" say cow/steer sucks. I'll wait.

"If it's in the Internet, it's got to be true"
Lord.

I don't have a gun, can't speak to holsters. I do have leather jackets in horse, cow, goat, and whatever capeskin is. And one obligatory Irvin. I expect to be dead before any of them die.

I have holsters for knives and guns. Not sure what they're made of as they're old. As you said, they already outlived their original owners and likely me too.

Radz108

One of the Regulars
Quote"So here's a belated news-flash for all those experts out there who, over the years, have pronounced loud and long on the side of horsehide: Hate to say this, guys, but the Emperor definitely isn't wearing any clothes! Horsehide is, and always will be, a poor substitute for cowhide!"Unquote

http://www.holsters.org/which.htm

I read the entire article from the provided link. We need to take the quote in context. Right now it is out of context and can be a bit misleading. The original writer in the website stated that the veg tanned horsehide (strip hide) was inferior to the cowhide he uses for holsters primarily due to its pliability and uneven thickness and thus would rip and tear when used as a gun holster. However earlier in the article, he does state the chrome tanned horsehide ( from the shoulders ie: FQHH) is very durable and hard wearing and he makes reference to WWII coats and jackets for example.
My take from the article chrome FQHH excellent for garments, veg tanned strip horsehide bad for gun holsters.
The quote posted is taken out of context and should not be used as a sweeping statement regarding horsehide and cowhide :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Well, I for one am going to chuck out all my horse hide holsters, and will be telling all my friends to do the same. Glasgow's streets will no doubt be safer but duller for this.

thor

Call Me a Cab
"Most European tanners I've quizzed on the subject have been surprised to learn that anyone anywhere would actually want veg-tanned horsehide, adding that there has never been even the slightest demand for it over here (Europe)."

Another quote taken out of context but would certainly be news to anyone on TFL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff