Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hot Weather Hats

Ben

One of the Regulars
Gang, I have done a search on this topic andd the results are a little overwhelming, which probably testifies to the extensive knowledge of the lounge. But the thread yesterday and my own felt lid got me thinking about hot weather hats.

Can we gather together the collective advice of the lounge in this thread about hot weather hats in general. What is best? I am looking to get something for the summer to keep my head covered and maybe the back of neck from getting burned.

Thanks.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scotrace said:
Woot! Woot! Woot!

Grand idea, Sir!

Great! But I don't own a Panama yet, so someone else will have to start the thead, and the title is public domain as far as I'm concernesd so I hope it starts and I hope to be able to post in it someday soon when a get one and get it near a camera.

Ben

One of the Regulars
Okay, a panama, any recommendations on a reasonably priced brand?

Also, what about the straw hats?

Thanks, gentlemen.

obiwan

Familiar Face
I have a couple of straws and neither of them is very comfortable in direct sun and/or hot weather. There is little to no ventilation so I sweat profusely. If you want something to provide protection from the sun but keep you cool, you'll probably want some cheap hat with vents cut in the crown.

MrPumpernickel

One of the Regulars
Any recommendations beside the Panama or straw hats though? I understand they're rather popular but I don't really consider myself a Panama man :)

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
MrPumpernickel said:
Any recommendations beside the Panama or straw hats though?

Uh, like this?

Hat---Reversable-Beenie.jpg

MattJH

One Too Many
You could always go with a mesh-crowned Tilley. The TM10 and TM11 are nice, I think. Made of cotton. Lifetime guarantee. Mesh crown. Etc., etc.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Before choosing a "warm weather hat" you really need to think about what you'll be using it for. Is it for going to church, a concert in the park, kayaking, hiking, hanging out by the pool? You also then need to ask yourself how concerned about sun damage you are. You have never had more variety to choose from when it comes to summer headwear than you do today. Just like "one size fits all" doesn't work for most people, one warm weather hat doesn't cut it for all summer activities. Explore all your options and decide what works best for you.

Aaron

Dr Trinidad

One of the Regulars
I picked up a straw hat made by pendleton yeah like the blankets. Looks sort of like a panama but the underside of the brim is covered with material should make a great outdoor work hat for the summer. Anyone else seen these?
Doc

MrPumpernickel

One of the Regulars
Joel Tunnah said:

Ew...just...ew, I couldn't insult my head and hair folicles with something like that.

I'm resorting to wearing stiff fabric fedoras (Made in China) during hot summer days. They look decent for what they're for and I don't have to worry about them being destroyed since I can buy a new one for $10 or so.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Milan's are nice

If you like a short brim, consider a Milan Porkpie by Biltmore. If a wider brim is desired go with a Stetson Center Dent.
You can get either for under $100 and delivered in a matter of days(not Months)

Davidson

One of the Regulars
One set of criteria in line with OP

Aaron Hats said:
Before choosing a "warm weather hat" you really need to think about what you'll be using it for. Is it for going to church, a concert in the park, kayaking, hiking, hanging out by the pool? You also then need to ask yourself how concerned about sun damage you are. You have never had more variety to choose from when it comes to summer headwear than you do today. Just like "one size fits all" doesn't work for most people, one warm weather hat doesn't cut it for all summer activities. Explore all your options and decide what works best for you.

Aaron
Mainly outdoor hat, for leisure activities and yardwork in the sun. 110*F max. Needs to be washable, will get dirty. Needs to provide better crown cooling than Tilley LTM 8-9 - they are mesh, but so thick to keep sun out that not much air gets through. Probably need to be white / offwhite to keep head cooler, maybe provision for soft ice pack. Sweatband sweat management - transfer from head to outside of hat for evaporation cooling. Brim enough to keep sun off face and neck back standing vertical from 10-2. Darker underside of brim, maybe neutral gray. Method to secure on windy days.

I got the Tilley 8 or 9 for this (the wide brim one) it doesn't let enough air flow through the crown. I'm thinking of adding grommets. I also think the top of the hat and brim would be better much closer to white.

So what are a few exAMPLE HATS that somewhat fit those needs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo