Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

I think some people tend to overhype and exaggerate the quality of super heavy hides over other lighter ones. I still have yet to find a vintage jacket from the 30-40s that has leather armor leather and it's not because they're broken in. The leather be it Horsehide, Pony, Goatskin, Steerhide and so on was definitely less thick and more pliable overall from my experience.

Depends. Cal Leathers has always been using extremely heavy hides, ever since they started out. Kinda stuff that's hard to match even today - especially today. I've heard people say they've had Cal and Bates jackets that made LW seem like a mall jacket and looking at some of those photos, I believe them. Granted, those are motorcycle jackets but yeah, heavy hides were used in jackets back then. Besides, many of those lighter vintage leather jackets we talk about here are the equivalent to what is today referred to as a "mall" jackets. I'm absolutely sure that made to measure jackets of the 50's were a lot heavier than your typical Californian.

And I believe that anyone who's ever sat on a motorcycle will always prefer heavier leather. That, I think, is a common fact. I never felt safe on a bike wearing even a medium weight jacket. This stuck with me and that's why I'll always prefer heavyass jackets. Same reason I don't trust goatskin much even tho makers swear on its superior performance during a crash. So yeah; heavy hides are proven to be tougher against whatever life throws at it and that's what I'll go with.

willyto

One Too Many
Definitely. I'm not hating on the heavier leather, it's just not for me but have in mind that kangaroo leather is the one used in motorcycle racing suits and not horsehide nor steerhide.

I just wanted to say that people tend to exaggerate regarding old leather jackets and the need for heavy leather for a jacket to be of high quality, that's all when it's just a preference and as I said some leathers don't work on certain designs. Apart from the specialized brands in the US I haven't seen any of those heavier leathers everyone keeps talking about not even in motorcycles racing jackets from Germany which appear a lot on Ebay and are seen in old pictures and I've handled.

In the end it is good that there are so many choices but I'm not a fan of all the hype for Heavy Horsehide and I don't see it practical for daily wear at all and I do ride motorcycles.

I personally just like the look of heavy leather better. It creates more interesting creases and character IMHO, especially in the sleeves. I also don't prefer drapey soft looking leather that can be blown around by the breeze. As HM says it's a good thing we have all these choices. Good point about the kangaroo @willyto. many makers do use it and that would be the only hide of such weight I'd be interested in. Vanson still uses their heavy ass cow in lieu of 'roo though. I think the vicenza and the stuff Thedi uses strikes a nice balance between the two extremes. Folks rave about the shinki as well and that hide certainly develops some great creasing and patina...
For some reason If I paid over 1K for a 4lb jacket I'd be sick about it. If it's north of 7lbs then I'm OK with it....just typing that I realize how bizarre that seems.

willyto

One Too Many
Fingers crossed for a good fit:

NvUUGiM.jpg

QUNQ6nO.jpg

hb4gRZh.jpg

First jacket with this style in my wardrobe. Seems black but could also be dark brown.

The heavy moto jackets have all been perforated leather - I'm not comfy riding in med/light leather, but when it can get over 100º not including the heat from the pavement, I have to have it.
Being in SoCal, the really heavy jackets are not getting much use for sure, so I do appreciate the med weight stuff.
For me the biggest negative correlation in light leathers is to the fashion stuff that every hip newscaster in the field is now wearing or the kids at clubs. Cheap, flimsy, and usually over-embellished. Just my taste - I see why heavy stuff is unappealing to some. Being "larger" also probably is an advantage as well. It meshes with my overall look as I wear boots 90% of the time anyways.

Reactions: A-1

SJC

Suspended
I personally just like the look of heavy leather better. It creates more interesting creases and character IMHO, especially in the sleeves. I also don't prefer drapey soft looking leather that can be blown around by the breeze. As HM says it's a good thing we have all these choices. Good point about the kangaroo @willyto. many makers do use it and that would be the only hide of such weight I'd be interested in. Vanson still uses their heavy ass cow in lieu of 'roo though. I think the vicenza and the stuff Thedi uses strikes a nice balance between the two extremes. Folks rave about the shinki as well and that hide certainly develops some great creasing and patina...
For some reason If I paid over 1K for a 4lb jacket I'd be sick about it. If it's north of 7lbs then I'm OK with it....just typing that I realize how bizarre that seems.
I agree one hundred percent. Heavy leather appeals to me for a lot of reasons.

A-1

One Too Many
For me I can understand both sides. Heavy and medium, light not so much.
What is important to me is that the leather (color) needs to have some depth. And it needs to crease and mold to the body. If a medium weight leather does that it's all I'm asking for. I just love sleeve creasing so much.

When everything's collapsing, trust the kids!
- www.zekimin.com -

A-1

One Too Many
Sunburst ordered in seal goat with OD stitching. Would quite like to get standard pockets.

I have too many jackets now. I am going to have to move somewhere cold after next year just to wear them all, or think about selling some on.

Sounds like a great jacket. Would like to see some pics when you received it.

When everything's collapsing, trust the kids!
- www.zekimin.com -

zebedee

One Too Many
Yup, I hope it'll be good. But I really have to shift some of the others. I'll post a thread about the ones I'm selling at the appropriate time.

zebedee

One Too Many
Hmmm. Sunburst 1930s cut may not fit me- my cafe racer is almost too tight. I am thinking of getting a 1950s HB in seal goat with OD stitching but quite want to keep the mad sunburst cuffs and lose the external pocket. Could I resolve the Sunburst slimness by going up a size? Has anyone got experience with this? It's a pity as the sunburst back is really great...

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Just bought a jacket by mistake. Now you thinking.. how do you possibly buy by mistake, what a dumbass.. and I probably am.. :D I made an offer at ebay, not in a bidding, but this "make an alternative offer" button and I guess I should've read the terms of use first because it turns out this is some automized shit where the seller can enter a limit on how much lower he wants to go and the second you make your offer, the deal is done if it is within his limit. I thought it was more of a "eyy can we talk about this" function. Oh well. Whatever. Here's what I bought anyways:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VINTAGE-60S-...729099?hash=item4d53d1a18b:g:lIIAAOSwqM1YmwgX

It's brown horsehide, which Vanson isn't doing anymore for a while. I am not sure that it is from the sixties though, but whatever. If it fits, I keep it. If not, I can still return, luckily it's a commercial seller, not a private one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner