Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've considered something like what you are indicating above, then I spoke with Benny about it (at Langlitz) and he greatly discouraged me from this path. After some consideration, I agree, a Cafe Racer should stay just that, unless you want to do a Sheene such as Aero does. However in this instance, the Sheene is really a very different jacket than a 4 or 2 pocket Cafe Racer. I'm still holding out on ordering a Cresent, hopeing to do that later this fall.
AeroFan, I am surprised to hear that the folks at Langlitz tried to talk you out of this modification because I think it looks great. Here is one I found on the Langlitz Japan blog:
IMG_2280.jpg

I was planning to call Scott at Langlitz later today and I will ask him what his thoughts are regarding the Crescent with a dress collar. I appreciate your point that the café racer is perhaps best left alone but the mad scientist in me wants to experiment...

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have spoken with Scott at Langlitz a couple times this week and we have finalized the details for my new order. It will be a Cascade with a straight front zipper and dress collar in medium weight cowhide. I added a 3 point western yoke on the back with pinstripes below as well as an angled chest pocket on the left side and brown contrast stitching throughout. Now the waiting begins...

Woodyear

Familiar Face
I just picked up what looks to be a good condition vintage Harley Davidson sportster jacket, which I have ALWAYS wanted but never been lucky enough to find at a good price in my size.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/517433456/vtg-60s-harley-davidson-sportster

The only problem is, this one is for my girlfriend. The pattern is so flared at the hips that it has always seemed like it could be a woman's jacket in a pinch, and a size 34 was available on Etsy for $140 dollars. I couldn't pass it up. I'm hoping it will fit her, here's a shot presumably of the seller from Etsy ( who knew Etsy had dope leather jackets?)
IMG_0082.JPG

Should be fine. I'm a 38, and found the Medium too big. Mostly in the shoulders. Of all my leather jackets, my wife complimented the Menlo the most. It is lightweight and versatile.

Reactions: A-1

willyto

One Too Many
I recognise that wood floor. I think one has a problem when he start recognising the backgrounds of the pics of leather jackets and vintage clothes...photographic memory can be bad sometimes.

You got a good price although you might have sent a best offer and got even a better price.

Should be fine. I'm a 38, and found the Medium too big. Mostly in the shoulders. Of all my leather jackets, my wife complimented the Menlo the most. It is lightweight and versatile.

I missed an oportunity to get the most amazing goatskin unlined I've seen but I wasn't in the mood to pay 400-500$ for a leather jacket. I've learnt to be patient and pay less for more.

The goatskin ones were the best IMHO. The thicker steerhide and lining make it more of a jacket/ less of a throw-on top layer. I think for this style, lighter is better.

willyto

One Too Many
The goatskin ones were the best IMHO. The thicker steerhide and lining make it more of a jacket/ less of a throw-on top layer. I think for this style, lighter is better.

I think some people tend to overhype and exaggerate the quality of super heavy hides over other lighter ones. I still have yet to find a vintage jacket from the 30-40s that has leather armor leather and it's not because they're broken in. The leather be it Horsehide, Pony, Goatskin, Steerhide and so on was definitely less thick and more pliable overall from my experience.

You can tell that from pictures, how the leather jackets have a lot of drape and mould to the wearer but don't move around like a medieval armor like some do today. I don't buy that durability speech, look at all those jackets that have survived and they're lighter than today hides.

There are certain styles that just don't work with some types of leather.

There are certain styles that just don't work with some types of leather.
I agree with you here for sure.
I don't buy that durability speech, look at all those jackets that have survived and they're lighter than today hides.
Perhaps but there's just something not special to me about light hides. It feels like it's cheap and weak (even tho the reality is that it's not). It's just my perception. Perhaps because when I first got into proper M/C leather jackets the weight and thickness of the hide is what I noticed and that immediately set them apart from the flimsy/store bought ones. I'll never forget the first Vanson I laid hands on. It was a revelation to the senses.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy