1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by red devil, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

2. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Edward, Joxi, torfjord and 2 others like this.
  3. Carlos840

Carlos840 One Too Many

Joxi likes this.
  4. Joxi

Joxi New in Town

Woah, gorgeous jacket Bowen!
    Thanks a bunch for the tip :]
    I've yet to try Pecards, so this would
    be the perfect opportunity to give it
    a whirl!

Will do Carlos! Been fantasising about
    cleaning this one. What's your usual
    cleaning method?

AbbaDatDeHat and dannyk like this.
  5. Carlos840

Carlos840 One Too Many

Couple of inches of lukewarm water in the tub, a couple table spoons of Lexol leather cleaner in the water, rub all over with a soft brush or soft scrub sponge (put a bit more Lexol on there to). Agitate a little.
    Repeat if water is gross, when clean, rinse by agitating in fresh water, change the water a couple times.

Dry flat on a rack on top of a towel as so:

[​IMG]

When mostly dry (2 to 3 days) stick it on a wide hanger, shape the collars to your liking and let fully dry (2 to 3 days again).

I then like to apply 2 or 3 thin coats of Pecard's, letting it soak 24h in between.
    I polish the final coat down with a humid cloth.

sweetfights, Monitor and Fonzie like this.
  6. Mich486

Mich486 A-List Customer

Got this used for around £80. It’s made by Phigvel which is a brand that I wish was more available in the west. My first half-belt style jacket! Not leather but i think it looks interesting. I seriously hope it fits!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I would kill for that! Well maybe not kill but definitely maim. Great score man. I’ve wanted a wool HB like that for a long while. I look forward to the pics!

Monitor and Mich486 like this.
  8. Edward

Edward Bartender

Very nice. Reminiscent of something like the SJC 33 jacket (though in a plainer cloth). I like the simplicity - and the leather halfbelt is a lovely, simple detail. A very wearable, very classic jacket - and sometimes it's nice to wear something other than leather. Enjoy it!

AeroFan_07 and Mich486 like this.
  9. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Man if it doesn’t reek I’d leave it be!! That jacket has a lifetime of gorgeous, hard earned patina that Pecards will wipe away. If it’s not dried out or smelling like garbage...just let all those years shine through on their own.

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  10. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

Would you use this method on a jacket with quilted lining? Or a wool lining? Looks like @Joxi ‘s jacket has a wool lining and wool or possibly a mouton collar.

11. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

Personally, I’d still apply some leather dressing. It will help restore some color and protect it from flaking or cracking but it will still have plenty of cool patina. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out after whatever action is taken.

Edward likes this.
  12. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

I’ve actually found the opposite to be true. You start rubbing pecards all over it and the top layer gets rubbed off right along with it. Looks all shiny and new for a day or two, then you’ve just exacerbated the very thing you were trying to eliminate. Which I don’t understand anyway. I suppose if you are REALLY gentle with it. Cracked leather won’t heal with pecards. I’ve actually noticed that Vaseline does the best job with cracked leather. Doesn’t fix it but it helps contain the damage.

Monitor likes this.
  13. Gamma68

Gamma68 One Too Many

Nothing fixes cracked leather. I meant that if the leather is dried out but not cracked, leather dressing may do it some good—keep it supple before it has a chance to flake/crack. Hard to say without actually seeing the jacket in question but anything that old and faded is likely as dry as the Sahara.

14. Carlos840

Carlos840 One Too Many

I have done this to my Apparel Annex, it has a quilted linning, everything was fine.

Never tried it with a wool lining, but i think it woud be fine, this is how people wash casmere jumpers!
    All i would change with a wool lining is i would use cold water and keep the agitation to a minimum.

No idea about mutton collar, i have never washed fleece, but i don't see how it wold be different.

Monitor likes this.
  15. barnabus

barnabus Practically Family

I just put them in the washing machine on a short, cold cycle. What could possibly go wrong?

16. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

I washed a vtg jacket with a mouton collar once. Was pretty much a vtg jacket without a mouton collar afterwards. I'm careful with what I put in my washer since..

I would just handwash Joxis jacket. Mouton collar and wool lining can be fairly sensible. Cold water, some Lexol Cleaner. Once dry, the leather will feel stiff and brittle, use Lexol conditioner to soften it up again.

17. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

Quilted lining is synthetic. It's fine washing it, even if it's the older kind that has real wool backing. Newer quilted linings all have synthetic fibre backing. I've machine washed three leather jackets with quilted lining. No harm done.

Fleece lining... Another story. If it's a synthetic fleece, the sort denim truckers are lind with, then it's perfectly safe to wash it. If it's real sheepskin, I wouldn't do it. Might end up with bald spots or start falling apart.

If I'm seeing things right, what's happening with Joxi's jacket is that the finish is peeling off. Happens often on vtg jackets. Not much can be done about it but technically, that's not necessarily indicative of a dry/cracking leather. It's for the most part just dye.

18. JMax

JMax One Too Many

I am a weak, weak man.

CL 2019.jpg CL 2019 b.jpg Cl 2019 c.jpg

19. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

20. JMax

JMax One Too Many

Different one. Pit to pit in my wheelhouse at 23/24. I agree about the leather— this looks like my heavier ones. Fingers crossed.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    lucky23 likes this.