Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

That explains it then. Here in America, it’s the norm to get “re-trenched” right before you hit 49. Most of my friends have gone into consulting and made a lot more $$. Me, I’ve used the experience to focus my style and learn to not take things personally. We are (afterall) just a number. And our experience is a threat to the younger guys ;)
It sucks while you’re going through it, but the light will shine again. Best fortune in your search for the next adventure.

Last edited:
Thanks barnabus. I turned 48 this past summer so things may be tricky but I am thinking of going back to school. Not back to university but maybe something at a tech college perhaps. I don't want hefty student loans at my age.

I worked in the non-ferrous steel industry which in my area is greatly tied to the oil and petrochemical industry which is tanking here in Canada right now.

To be honest, I've wanted to quit for a while since there was quite a bit of negativity and racism in my office so the past few years have been grinding away at my soul. I did not want to quit since I'd have to find something asap so when I was told my division is being shut down and I'd be getting a good severance package, I felt a weight lift off my shoulders.
If I had stuck with my first line of employment I would be about 9 years from retirement with a fat ass pension at 55. The climate was so toxic I just couldn't do it anymore. Staying in a environment like that always spills over to other parts of your life and stains your soul. Best of luck on the next phase Colin. Everything happens for a reason (at least that's what I believe).

barnabus

One Too Many
Thanks barnabus. I turned 48 this past summer so things may be tricky but I am thinking of going back to school. Not back to university but maybe something at a tech college perhaps. I don't want hefty student loans at my age.

I worked in the non-ferrous steel industry which in my area is greatly tied to the oil and petrochemical industry which is tanking here in Canada right now.

To be honest, I've wanted to quit for a while since there was quite a bit of negativity and racism in my office so the past few years have been grinding away at my soul. I did not want to quit since I'd have to find something asap so when I was told my division is being shut down and I'd be getting a good severance package, I felt a weight lift off my shoulders.

So similar!

I'm 49. I worked in the metal finishing side of the engineering/manufacturing industry.

I'd wanted to quit for years, but as family provider I had the fear of not meeting my responsibilities, and trepidation for what I could do if I left a "comfortable" living. And yet my job was ruining me: huge stress that left me angry even at home, superiors that shirked their responsibilities onto me, overwhelming tiredness, genuine fear of the repercussions of any errors from my staff, endless insomnia and anxiety. I ended up on prescription meds.

I've found something else now and I'm 100% happier. I don't earn anything like as much, but boy, life is better. As you say, a weight off my shoulders!

Seriously man: the best of luck. There's more to life than a comfortable income.

Colin G

One Too Many
Thanks Barnabus.

My wife is a vice principal with her masters (special needs, deals with autistic kids ect ect) so she'll have a solid income until she decides to retire. She does not care what I do now as long as I am happy since like you, my job affected my life negatively in the way I would always come home grumpy. Now I don't even get in a bad mood.

Sure, I'm bored and I am not going to even think about looking for another job until April. I am taking time off and my wife and I will take a trip to either Japan or Portugal in February when she gets time off for the break up here.

Life is rather stress free right now but come spring I need to get it together and think about going back to school or find long term employment.

My good friend owns a bike shop and I am an avid cyclist and used to work in bike shops since I was just out of high school so he said he'd hire me instantly in the spring. Not my first choice but I have something if I can't find a job that pays similarly to my last one.

Back to jackets and not my sad tale. lol.

Gamma68

One Too Many
Vintage steerhide Kehoe.

Not for me, but for my wife.

Scored a deal on this jacket. I just hope a) it fits and b) she likes it.

Lousy photos from the seller:

IMG_7115.jpg
IMG_7116.jpg
IMG_7117.jpg

Gamma68

One Too Many
I thought the womens model was the one with the zipped slash handwarmers and no chest pockets.
You might be right. If it doesn’t work for her, it will hit the classifieds here. It was listed as a woman’s jacket by a woman seller and the sizing seems right.

Last edited:

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
They're here!

Aero ANJ4 is Seal Brown and Dark Seal Horsehide Vincenza. It's got some room by the hips but otherwise has a nice fit.

1phljrHl.jpg

hbebjn3l.jpg

Aero B3 in Seal Brown and Dark Seal Vincenza. Perfect fit as far as I'm concerned.

W0J5p3il.jpg

inFc0pIl.jpg

VXIbGWdl.jpg
Just because you’ve got two new bomb ass jackets don’t go wishing a polar vortex on us.....and if it happens by fate, dibs on whichever you’re not wearing.

powersci

One of the Regulars
Just because you’ve got two new bomb ass jackets don’t go wishing a polar vortex on us.....and if it happens by fate, dibs on whichever you’re not wearing.

You know I’m already wearing these things inside the house. I don’t need cold weather!

MegaLARP

Familiar Face
All the career talk is giving me something to think about here, I'm just a couple of years in as a design engineer at a company I really enjoy that makes heavy machinery and I've been considering either taking other offers for pretty decent pay increases or completely career switching into sales, but I guess I should probably be thinking about what I'd be leaving behind more

on-topic tho, I'm hoping to pick up a cheap goat G1 soon. I got a lesco beater recently but it fits so badly I don't even wanna use it as a beater

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo