Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I just received this Lewis Leathers Lightning. It's much more wine red than on the seller's pics, which is good. I like it.

95684978-1F79-46A2-882C-D2FBA2046859.jpeg
612304F2-2766-45D2-8E19-8FBBD8AFF926.jpeg

I just received this Lewis Leathers Lightning. It's much more wine red than on the seller's pics, which is good. I like it.

View attachment 342692 View attachment 342693

Beautiful. I've seen this lighter leather used only on their special edition jackets, for posh stores and such. It's really gorgeous. Would wear.

It's also entertaining how regular LL cowhide the patch is made of appears thicker than the entire collar.

Edward

Bartender
View attachment 342692 View attachment 342693

Looks great. Interesting the logo patch is black (rather than same-colour); is this a fairly recent production model? Very sharp.

I was expecting the leather to be thin, but it's even thinner than I thought. Yet it has tons of character and even thought it's thin, it doesn't feel flimsy. It's very well made. It's a great summer jacket.

Is it their sheepskin leather? A lot of vintage Lewises I've handled were surprisingly light for any of us who grew up on eighties bike leathers, but I've never handled one I'd be afraid of tearing. Definitely a good option for a lighter jacket for warmer weather.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
is this a fairly recent production model? Very sharp.

Is it their sheepskin leather?

I think it's cowhide, very thin but quality cowhide. I think this one is from the 90s. It's much more a fashion jacket than a mc jacket.

Compared to LL jackets from the 80s I've handled, the hides from the 80s were heavier but of lesser quality. The nicest vintage ones are the ones from the 70s imo.

Edward

Bartender
I think it's cowhide, very thin but quality cowhide. I think this one is from the 90s. It's much more a fashion jacket than a mc jacket.

Compared to LL jackets from the 80s I've handled, the hides from the 80s were heavier but of lesser quality. The nicest vintage ones are the ones from the 70s imo.

Based on what I've handled, the 60ws were the real glory days, with things declining from the late 70s onwards - some great jackets from that period, but QC was more hit and miss. IT's surprising how light many British bike jackets were back in the day; sometimes seems that notions of rider safety and PPE are a very modern concept indeed! It'd be interesting to know what proportion of Lewises since the 1990s revival are actually worn on bike and what proportion sell to non-riders. The latter (as with bike-style jackets in general) seem to have markedly increased from the 70s onwards when the leather jacket became a staple associated with many heavy metal and (to some extent, though mostly second-wave in the UK) punk rock subculture members.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I was going to wait untill i had the jacket in hand before posting pics, but i can't keep this to myself any longer, i think this jacket is just too cool not to share.

FowGXFd.jpg

WOLZEW5.jpg

UYp7x4K.jpg

sjhmfvi.jpg

VZ0t9xv.jpg

487QPRu.jpg

zJpdX5J.jpg

G8tUIJb.jpg

ro5RY2L.jpg

I don't know how much she weighs, but Stu said she was super thick and heavy, apparently they used 5+oz leather and lined some of the pockets (the patch pockets and the hidden gusset pocket) in their heavy canvas. I am expecting an absolute beast!
It isn't an exact copy of the Appalachian, more a LW interpretation than a real repro, but i think it really came out great.

Unfortunately i am leaving on sunday for a hike across Corsica (Gr 20) and won't be able to see it untill i come back on the 15th of July, i can't wait!

If any of you guys are into it, it should be available on the website soon...

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
You nailed this one outta the park, well done!
I tried to do one of these, but failed a few years ago. I swear I am no fan of Lost Worlds but you wearing their leather togs keeps pulling me in. Now this... The big map pocket at the back is just awesome.

Edward

Bartender
I was going to wait untill i had the jacket in hand before posting pics, but i can't keep this to myself any longer, i think this jacket is just too cool not to share.

FowGXFd.jpg

WOLZEW5.jpg

UYp7x4K.jpg

sjhmfvi.jpg

VZ0t9xv.jpg

487QPRu.jpg

zJpdX5J.jpg

G8tUIJb.jpg

ro5RY2L.jpg

I don't know how much she weighs, but Stu said she was super thick and heavy, apparently they used 5+oz leather and lined some of the pockets (the patch pockets and the hidden gusset pocket) in their heavy canvas. I am expecting an absolute beast!
It isn't an exact copy of the Appalachian, more a LW interpretation than a real repro, but i think it really came out great.

Unfortunately i am leaving on sunday for a hike across Corsica (Gr 20) and won't be able to see it untill i come back on the 15th of July, i can't wait!

I like this; I'm quite a fan of the 'could have been' school of design when it comes to civilian styles. The long, zip pocket on the (jacket's) left is nicely incorporated - separating it out like that from the flap-pocket (I'm sure I've seen an old Buco design where this was basically a 'triangle' with the flap at the top of the zipper, an old police-style I think??) really works. The handwarmers are nicely placed, too. I can imagine them being pretty practical for the intended purpose (no zip-rub on the skin!), while the flapped pocket still ensures secure storage should you use this on a bike...

FowGXFd.jpg

WOLZEW5.jpg

UYp7x4K.jpg

sjhmfvi.jpg

VZ0t9xv.jpg

487QPRu.jpg

zJpdX5J.jpg

G8tUIJb.jpg

ro5RY2L.jpg

Looks fantastic like I've said - I'll still rate LW among the only three makers I'd buy a new leather jacket from, the others being Lewis Leathers and Field Leathers - but honestly, what I'm really looking for is the product blurb for it.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
You nailed this one outta the park, well done!
I tried to do one of these, but failed a few years ago. I swear I am no fan of Lost Worlds but you wearing their leather togs keeps pulling me in. Now this... The big map pocket at the back is just awesome.

All i did was send a bunch of pictures and ask for all the Crown zippers...
This was basically the same process as 5 star but i didn't send any measurements in.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
All i did was send a bunch of pictures and ask for all the Crown zippers...
This was basically the same process as 5 star but i didn't send any measurements in.

I tried this maybe two years ago with SB and failed. My fault, not theirs. I didn't know their biker jacket has a straight torso fit, no taper, and I mistakenly added extra length. Then early this year I asked JL to mod it shorter and tigher at the waist, but the cost was almost a new jacket, so I went with a new jacket instead. This still on my to do list though. The thing is when all is said and done, I would end up spending close to what a LW cost. Story of my life. Sigh.

Your LW is perfect. Can't wait to read your review.

Hercules Copy.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points