Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
Been on the hunt for a Cal in exactly this config: straight zip, snap cuffs and no kidney panel. This one looks to have been around.
Fingers crossed seller was on the shy side w/ measurements ; )
Could any experts tell me if there's a model name to this jacket and when it might have been made?
s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Last edited:

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Been on the hunt for a Cal in exactly this config: straight zip, snap cuffs and no kidney panel. This one looks to have been around.
Could any experts tell me if there's a model name to this jacket and when it might have been made?
View attachment 342278
View attachment 342279
ooh nice one. What kind of zipper is it and do the pocket zips have any pulls? Usually that's the best way to date (i.e. diamond style most likely 50's, tear drop most likely 60s/70s, etc.). I'm also seeing some teacore there which usually I only see on the older jackets.

My straight zip has side laces and zipper sleeves but no belt loops. So many variations out there. Pretty sure mine is late 60's with the teardrop pulls. I think the button cuffs might also indicate later date as well. You could have a 50s style.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just search for “mouton jacket” on ebay and you will find a ton of options. Since mouton was made from sheepskin it is perhaps the most ethical choice and also much less expensive than mink or beaver.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how inexpensive some of these jackets are. Since you are only going to be using sections of the coat for collars it is not a big deal if there is a bit of moth damage or small stains here and there.
View attachment 342238
Here is a shot of the mouton coat I purchased years ago before it went to the tailor to begin its new life. It must’ve belonged to a short stout woman!
priceless

Kubatu

A-List Customer
This came in a couple days back. Untagged, but fairly sure it's a Cal / Leatherman padded CHP. I was going to flip it, but it fits so well that I think I'll keep it. It weighs 6.5 pounds, so a decent weight. Some wonky stitching going on too. The one thing that I have noticed, especially compared to my vintage 1950s Cal, is that it is a much softer jacket. The leather is not particularly stiff, and the satin lining is very thick. Overall a more plush feel, which is...a bit odd on a CHP, but I still like it.

qPE2yz2.jpg

AYrAeLs.jpg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
This came in a couple days back. Untagged, but fairly sure it's a Cal / Leatherman padded CHP. I was going to flip it, but it fits so well that I think I'll keep it. It weighs 6.5 pounds, so a decent weight. Some wonky stitching going on too. The one thing that I have noticed, especially compared to my vintage 1950s Cal, is that it is a much softer jacket. The leather is not particularly stiff, and the satin lining is very thick. Overall a more plush feel, which is...a bit odd on a CHP, but I still like it.

qPE2yz2.jpg

AYrAeLs.jpg
Looks awesome!

qPE2yz2.jpg

AYrAeLs.jpg

Gorgeous! Looks like newer Cal or Leather Man.

qPE2yz2.jpg

AYrAeLs.jpg

Awesome. A padded Cal Leatherman is one of those jackets where I’ll hit BIN, few if any questions asked.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab

qPE2yz2.jpg

AYrAeLs.jpg
Wow this is awesome. Anywhere near my size and you know who to call. Enjoy.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 342278
View attachment 342279

View attachment 342284

I really like this jacket! This style of zipper stop begins in the 50s and continues into the 60s. The missing pull would not have given more clues. The pocket pulls, as mentioned above, will aid. I see the snap cuffs as 50s. Overall the jacket does look 50s.

One piece back is interesting.

The leather looks lighter weight. Horsehide with a question mark?

I'm not well educated on Cal leather. What indicates this is a Cal? One piece back?

I have a very similar jacket but from the late 30s. It has very similar leather. Even in hand I'm not sure if Goat or Steer. It has a back yoke.

This is an interesting jacket and In a style I like too. I can understand wanting this jacket.

s-l1600 (38).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg

TheGuitarFairy

Practically Family
I really like this jacket! This style of zipper stop begins in the 50s and continues into the 60s. The missing pull would not have given more clues. The pocket pulls, as mentioned above, will aid. I see the snap cuffs as 50s. Overall the jacket does look 50s.

I'm not well educated on Cal leather. What indicates this is a Cal? One piece back?

I have a very similar jacket but from the late 30s. It has very similar leather. Even in hand I'm not sure if Goat or Steer. It has a back yoke.

This is an interesting jacket and In a style I like too. I can understand wanting this jacket.

View attachment 342440 View attachment 342441 View attachment 342442 View attachment 342443

i appreciate your thoughts, terry and i am also no Cal expert, i merely assumed it was one!
i'll post more pics when it arrives. jacket's definitely been around the block, twice. i'm hoping i can bring it back from the edge (and that sleeves are long enough) .. i don't like em' looking that new anyway ; ) jacket you posted is hawt. does it have side laces?
thanks again, mike

@TheGuitarFairy Based on the leather, looks like a 60s or later Cal with some cool mods (no yoke in back and snap cuffs). Very nice find.

Here is one I have inbound. Definite 50s Cal. You can see the differences.

B3B5F51B-18AF-4E1B-93DC-AB7F2DD15EDC.jpeg
99921C44-2284-48C7-9256-213C3DC5D7F3.jpeg
80A456DD-F84B-41E1-AEC5-0AEB6BCEEC05.jpeg
491119CC-1E02-4F01-B9B4-AE38F5D841D8.jpeg
33D0AD33-B45E-453E-97DE-AD14A4B6AB05.jpeg

I’ve come to the conclusion that Cals are my favorite vintage jackets. Made out of my favorite vintage leather. I’ve come back full circle. Glad I took the trip and glad to be back.

View attachment 342440 View attachment 342441 View attachment 342442 View attachment 342443

Reminds me of my old Eagleson.
upload_2021-6-20_15-55-12.jpeg

I need to get my All Weather in this style out. Take a closer look. I should have kept the Eagleson.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Incoming name the jacket diversion.

I have A jacket inbound. I had a tough time deciding between 2 popular makers on TFL. I figure I can wear it to about 50. If I ended up in Cal it might be the only jacket I’d need. However, I won’t go west young man. In fact the opposite.

JurassicUtility

One of the Regulars

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Incoming name the jacket diversion.

I have A jacket inbound. I had a tough time deciding between 2 popular makers on TFL. I figure I can wear it to about 50. If I ended up in Cal it might be the only jacket I’d need. However, I won’t go west young man. In fact the opposite.

if you're not going West.. I'd say your going East.....man

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana