Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I thought I measured one of mine and I didn't! I thought his numbers sounded right for me so I didn't ask any questions, like how he came up with 45..after measuring mine this one may be bigger! I can't seem to get 45 on the one I'm wearing and it fits. So another surprise in the mail. These are so nice. I'll fawn over this one when it arrives, all of its' charms.

Why did you pass? wrong size?
Leather looks a bit dry. More importantly, bidding ends at wrong time. Not available to place last min bid.

I thought I measured one of mine and I didn't! I thought his numbers sounded right for me so I didn't ask any questions, like how he came up with 45..after measuring mine this one may be bigger! I can't seem to get 45 on the one I'm wearing and it fits. So another surprise in the mail. These are so nice. I'll fawn over this one when it arrives, all of its' charms.

Why did you pass? wrong size?

Ok, if you have a smaller one than what he states, this one may work for you to wear. It is smaller than his stated measurements.

Live and learn. Maybe I should have gone for it. Enjoy the jacket.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
You know it has a 22" back length right? (according to the listing)

I'm 5'11" and 23" is pretty much my lower limit, but only if the jacket comes with a serious front drop.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

You wear bigger than me, I doubt this jacket would fit you. I will accurately measure them when arrive.

You know it has a 22" back length right? (according to the listing)

I'm 5'11" and 23" is pretty much my lower limit, but only if the jacket comes with a serious front drop.
The back length is correct. They are too short for many folks, but they work for me

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Made an offer got a jacket. I guess I'm a Ralphs-Pugh collector. I doubt I can wear this, but RP jackets are pretty scarce and this one is pretty cool. I have several of their jackets from the early 50s and their Horsehide is as nice as it gets. Top Notch all the way!

1648595702935.png
1648595860251.png

1648595885692.png

Made an offer got a jacket. I guess I'm a Ralphs-Pugh collector. I doubt I can wear this, but RP jackets are pretty scarce and this one is pretty cool. I have several of their jackets from the early 50s and their Horsehide is as nice as it gets. Top Notch all the way!

View attachment 414346 View attachment 414347
View attachment 414348
Awesome Terry. Put this in your cart too and it’ll look as new as the day it was born:
URAD Leather Care Dark Brown 200g
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AUZDO8A/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_4DJV4RF59YJ2E68W4RE5

matchankh

One of the Regulars
Awesome Terry. Put this in your cart too and it’ll look as new as the day it was born:

Does anyone have experience using this Saphr crème to restore jackets?

It’s mainly used for boots and dress shoes. It works well to mask light scuffs and to give it a light shine for boots in my experience.

Can’t get urad where I am at. The Saphr is probably quite similar?

198D8337-E733-44E7-BD5E-76932D6B7362.jpeg

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here

It’s mainly used for boots and dress shoes. It works well to mask light scuffs and to give it a light shine for boots in my experience.

View attachment 414390
You can certainly use it on leather jacket and it can certainly mask scuff but the problem is, on jacket it will get rubbed off easily.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 414390

I use this on jackets that are really really dry. But even then it's key to use as little as possible. Use too much and the jacket will feel sticky and a white sheen or stains will appear over time which need to be buffed out several times over. Also make sure to spread it evenly: The waxes are water repellent and you don't want one part of the jacket to repel water when another part next to it soaks it all up (in case of vegetable tanned leather).

On dry leather I use saphir first before I apply Urad. Urad is topcoat that wears off over time, saphir contains waxes which really penetrate the jacket.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up

Thanks for the link. Dena at Great Leathers told you about Urad? I had some years back that I got from her. I have seen your restoration work you have achieved impressive results. You should do a video for my youtube channel. I often get questions related to leather care/conditioning. In fact I will look up Urad on youtube for a video.

I was thinking about the finish on this jacket. It needs some renewal. It had been worn well and at this point probably 70 years old. I don't think RP produced jackets past the early 50s.

I will present this jacket in more detail after it arrives. I know you had an interest in seeing it, but lacked buying interest due to size. I am not looking for my personal fit, it just fits my collecting. I'm often thankful for "high" asking prices. I see that jacket and know that no one else is going to pay that for it and it works. When the funds came around the jacket just sitting there looked like the right time to offer. I was surprised because I think the jacket was worth the original price or more!!! I think everything I buy is worth more, and that is typically what happens. I have a ton of information on this company...and they are still in business and have no knowledge of their history. I do plan to write a history on this particular company. I want to get as many of their jackets as I can before. When you actually see the whole of their past catalog it is as impressive as any maker I have seen. I've got a host of pictures and more importantly a host of jackets that really tell the story.

Well, I better get to work after this disourse.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 414390
I used Venetian Shoe Cream on my Aero CXL. Worked really well. VSC is supposed to be great for CXL boots, so I figured I'd give it a shot. It's a little tacky after you first put on, but let it hang in the sun for the day and it gets absorbed.

matchankh

One of the Regulars
I used Venetian Shoe Cream on my Aero CXL. Worked really well. VSC is supposed to be great for CXL boots, so I figured I'd give it a shot. It's a little tacky after you first put on, but let it hang in the sun for the day and it gets absorbed.

I have VSC too but I can only get the natural color. Not sure if they do different colors. The saphir crème has a little dye/pigment in it so I figured I might be a little better for hiding marks. Before the crème I use VSC/ renovator for conditioning if I feel the leather is dry. Renovator smells nicer though.

matchankh

One of the Regulars
I use this on jackets that are really really dry. But even then it's key to use as little as possible. Use too much and the jacket will feel sticky and a white sheen or stains will appear over time which need to be buffed out several times over. Also make sure to spread it evenly: The waxes are water repellent and you don't want one part of the jacket to repel water when another part next to it soaks it all up (in case of vegetable tanned leather).

On dry leather I use saphir first before I apply Urad. Urad is topcoat that wears off over time, saphir contains waxes which really penetrate the jacket.

So for a vintage jacket if one wants to cover discoloration on the wrist etc should I just use a bit of similar colored urad alone?

Not sure where I could get urad though. Does Fiebings have anything similar to urad?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I just use a bit of similar colored urad alone?
The colored Urad wears off fast in my experience. I would apply some colorless saphir crème to the discolored spots. It will slightly darken the leather. When dry I'd give the whole jacket a coat of colorless Urad.

willyto

One Too Many
Got it. Will give it a shot. Thanks very much!
As @Marc mndt says used the the neutral cream. It will feed the leather, darken the dry spots but it will not get rid of the patina completely.

The coloured ones can rub off and you don’t want to be staining stuff. In shoes it’s very easy to brush off the excess and only the trousers cuff can get stained, no big deal.

Thanks for the link. Dena at Great Leathers told you about Urad? I had some years back that I got from her. I have seen your restoration work you have achieved impressive results. You should do a video for my youtube channel. I often get questions related to leather care/conditioning. In fact I will look up Urad on youtube for a video.

I was thinking about the finish on this jacket. It needs some renewal. It had been worn well and at this point probably 70 years old. I don't think RP produced jackets past the early 50s.

I will present this jacket in more detail after it arrives. I know you had an interest in seeing it, but lacked buying interest due to size. I am not looking for my personal fit, it just fits my collecting. I'm often thankful for "high" asking prices. I see that jacket and know that no one else is going to pay that for it and it works. When the funds came around the jacket just sitting there looked like the right time to offer. I was surprised because I think the jacket was worth the original price or more!!! I think everything I buy is worth more, and that is typically what happens. I have a ton of information on this company...and they are still in business and have no knowledge of their history. I do plan to write a history on this particular company. I want to get as many of their jackets as I can before. When you actually see the whole of their past catalog it is as impressive as any maker I have seen. I've got a host of pictures and more importantly a host of jackets that really tell the story.

Well, I better get to work after this disourse.
Dena indeed! If the jacket is dry I give it a drink with some obernaufs oil first. A jacket like this one, where the topcoat is essentially been worn off, a skim coat with Urad will help bring something of a “topcoat” back. You almost can’t use too little.
I can’t wait to see your review. I absolutely love the design. Glad you ended up with it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto