Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much more length does this bomber jacket need?

How much longer should this bomber be to fit me well?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

schitzo

Suspended
Well campers I received a few jackets in the post today for try on purposes. Painfully I like them all but it's this bomber I like best. Looking at these pics, which by my lonesome were a nightmare to get, how much extra length do you think is necessary for it to fit me?

I know it;s more than 1 inch and less than 3. I'm inviting comments and I also think a poll is well overdue ;)

Btw, the tape measure starts on 5

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Strange. Seems plenty long in the back.
If you don't mind, may I ask if you are over inflating your chest? Or maybe jeans are low-rise?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'd put the thing on, look down, and point to the location I want the jacket to go down to. With your finger on the area, (or a piece of tape as a reference point if it's easier) measure from the bottom of knit to find out how much you need. Completely up to you, as everyone's opinion will vary.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Yeah what Big J said... the backs fine... You don't look like you've a big gut so I don't understand why the front's rising so high?

Worf

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm the first to admit I'm not into or know much about A2's but those pockets are just under your armpits....are they supposed to be that high?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It's not sure about that one, but it could be how you are standing. It looks puffy in the tummy area and I'd say around 2.5 inches too short. The back looks a little too short to me too but certainly better than the front. The pockets are huge but I guess they are like those on a classic 1950's civilian flying jacket.

Cooperson

One Too Many
I've voted but I'm not happy, the measurement options were not accurate enough. You clearly need an extra 2 1/4", not 2" and not 2 1/2" :)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Which tartan are you going to choose?
I hope it's not the Tart'n trouble!

Seriously I recon if you relax a bit as if doing something naturally, like holding a beer etc and having a chat, the jacket may hang a bit more natural as it look as if you are trying to stand 'too straight' to me.

schitzo

Suspended
Great! Another totally indecisive poll. To answer a few things..

Yes big J they are low rise jeans. No I wasn't inflating my chest, just trying to stand straight!
Thanks for that Fanch I will bear it in mind!
I too think the pockets are big. I'd prefer them a bit smaller but that's how they are.
This one doesn't get a tartan

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Great! Another totally indecisive poll. To answer a few things..

Yes big J they are low rise jeans. No I wasn't inflating my chest, just trying to stand straight!
Thanks for that Fanch I will bear it in mind!
I too think the pockets are big. I'd prefer them a bit smaller but that's how they are.
This one doesn't get a tartan

Thanks. In that case, I'm going to agree with Rocketeer and suggest that you need to relax your posture a little and choose different pants. Since these jackets were designed to go with pants that we would consider these days to be high-waisters, I think that's the cause if the trouble, based primarily that even with low-waist jeans, the back length of your jacket looks good to me.

I can get the same effect from my Aero A-2s if I stand to attention in low slung jeans.

I think it's a nice jacket.

schitzo

Suspended
Thanks. In that case, I'm going to agree with Rocketeer and suggest that you need to relax your posture a little and choose different pants. Since these jackets were designed to go with pants that we would consider these days to be high-waisters, I think that's the cause if the trouble, based primarily that even with low-waist jeans, the back length of your jacket looks good to me.

I can get the same effect from my Aero A-2s if I stand to attention in low slung jeans.

I think it's a nice jacket.

Thanks for the input. For my wardrobe and my preferences it is too short. But I don't think it's anything like as short as the poll results suggest. I will concede that it's hard to make a good judgement for you lot with just these snaps - which were the best I could do with the timer last night. Next time, I think a video would be a better idea

IMO it isn't that short. It could perhaps do with another inch or inch and a half, based on your preference, but looking at the entire photo instead of just the jacket and how far down it's reaching, I'd say your jacket does not look too short on you. I mean, you're standing very straight - I can get the same effect in my longer jackets, standing like that - and I doubt it's how you're walking around. Plus the back looks good so...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My earlier comment was made tongue in cheek, although I'm not exactly sure why the equation doesn't seem to balance. Maybe to some degree the way the picture was taken. Looking at the frontal shot, everything simply looks so unbalanced/off, I don't know where to begin. How tight does the jacket feel when zipped?

Unlike me, I think maybe your torso is somewhat long in relation to your height. I am curious: What are some of the measurements of the bomber jacket - specifically the back and sleeves?

schitzo

Suspended
IMO it isn't that short. It could perhaps do with another inch or inch and a half, based on your preference, but looking at the entire photo instead of just the jacket and how far down it's reaching, I'd say your jacket does not look too short on you. I mean, you're standing very straight - I can get the same effect in my longer jackets, standing like that - and I doubt it's how you're walking around. Plus the back looks good so...

I basically agree with you Monitor, and reckon that about another 1.5" would be right

My earlier comment was made tongue in cheek, although I'm not exactly sure why the equation doesn't seem to balance. Maybe to some degree the way the picture was taken. Looking at the frontal shot, everything simply looks so unbalanced/off, I don't know where to begin. How tight does the jacket feel when zipped?

Unlike me, I think maybe your torso is somewhat long in relation to your height. I am curious: What are some of the measurements of the bomber jacket - specifically the back and sleeves?

I deliberately withheld that info so as not to interfere with people's perceptions of the missing length. But since the poll looks to be fairly useless.. I may as well tell you it's 25.5" long which I assume is stock length for size 40. Wearing it is a joy as the midweight steer is butter soft and will bend and stretch without any resistance. Armholes are great too and the only thing wrong with it is the length. Oh, and the colour too. If going for this steer I'd prefer the black option, but actually I think my first choice for this type of jacket would probably be seal goat with the same colour knits. I can add that aesthetically I'm not 100% sold on those big pockets

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Based on what I see in the pictures, I perceive the bomber to be designed for someone 3-4 inches shorter than you, maybe in all directions. :D I think the sleeves are a bit too short, at least for my taste. Although we are essentially the same height, I think my arms might be a bit longer than yours and my torso shorter. Keeping in mind that body and sleeve lengths are relative and largely based on preference, my sweet spot for a jacket like this would be a 26.5" body and 27" sleeves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass