Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to take measurements on a leather jacket.

Oakbark

Familiar Face
Hey folks,
I' d like to know how leather jacket lovers as you are, usually take measurements on leather jackets when you ve to buy a jacket online.
Some classifieds show huge measure differences even on the same model in the same size and asking further questions to the sellers I usually find out that not everybody take the measurements from the same points.
For instance, talking about the chest width, some take the measurement from the exact pit seam to the other one as you can see in the pic below:
_20180412_022630.JPG

while some others consider the outer points overcrossing the pit seams that appear laying well the jacket down and portions of the back part pops up on the upper part as you can see in the second pic below
_20180412_022427.JPG

As you know, the width changes a lot using these 2 different methods, so for example the chest may differ of 1 inch or more.
How do you guys consider the proper way to measure the chest?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Skyhawk

Vendor
The chest can be a tricky one. The measurement is seam to seam but with some jacket designs, the seam is not on the side of the jacket like this one appears to be. The seam is slightly around the front of the jacket. You find this also with jackets that have an extra panel on the side of the jacket.
The measurement it taken from the side edge to the other side edge, directly under the pit. Both pictures above are measured to high and including part of the armpit. The tape needs to be moved down 1" to 2". Also when you take a chest measurement, the jacket needs to be pulled tight. Grasp the tape and actually pick up the jacket by your fingers, stretching out the jacket under the tape until tight. Read the tape and you have your chest measurement.

Oakbark

Familiar Face
@Skyhawk thanks for the detailed reply. Is it too high? I put it where where the side seam meet the sleeve seam.
Consider my pics for showing the main differences between the 2 methods.
I ve put some adhesive tape over the tape just for taking a better pic with 2 hands instead of trying to pull well the tape and the jacket with one hand;)
Btw is not the armhole height the right point to determine the chest width?( the cross between sleeve and body?

Skyhawk

Vendor
@Skyhawk thanks for the detailed reply. Is it too high? I put it where where the side seam meet the sleeve seam.
Consider my pics for showing the main differences between the 2 methods.
I ve put some adhesive tape over the tape just for taking a better pic with 2 hands instead of trying to pull well the tape and the jacket with one hand;)
Btw is not the armhole height the right point to determine the chest width?( the cross between sleeve and body?

pic #2 is close. The right side looks like it is at the right spot as long as your reading the bottom of the tape. The left side, the tape looks too high. Probably just slipped when you taped it. Sounds like you got the right idea. It is hard to tell precisely from the photos.

Gamma68

One Too Many
I think it's useful to add that measurements should always be taken using a tailor's measuring tape, rather than using a metal carpenter's tape measure or (as I've seen in some unfortunate eBay listings) using a wooden yardstick.

There's a reason why tailors use a flexible cloth measuring tape on garments. They allow for more accurate measurements than a stiff carpenter's rule, which you'd use on something like a 2 x 4.

Tailor's tapes are widely available and cheap. If you don't have one, get one. Then take measurements as shown by Peacoat. Always measure jackets fully zipped or buttoned and lying flat. This will make buying/selling items that much easier for everyone.

Oakbark

Familiar Face
Well done @Peacoat , thanks for the pics.

but what about jackets with gussets on the back:eek::eek::eek::eek: I often see descriptions with shoulders measurements from fantasy movies:D:D:mad:

I've always been aware I was missing good deals cause of sellers taking measurements in a wrong way and sometimes I also went against what they stated cause those measurements were so mad I couldn't believe it and I was right; for instance chest 22 inches and shoulders 17: there's something wrong for sure.
Some do not even post measurements, some forget few of them, some get offended if you ask how did they take the measurements, that's crazy.

@Gamma68 I've also seen someone taking measurements with the wooden yardstick and in the mmm let's say 70% of times I don not believe the measurements I read from ebay sellers and it's such an annoying feeling every time.

Btw getting back to " how to take measurments" I personally pull and stretch well the jacket ( when I'm not taking pics of it) and I also pull the flexiblw tailor's tape along the jacket pushing with the fingers inch after inch;
don't know if I explained mysef well, I mean for instance like when reading and following with the finger, but i push on the tape in order the jacket to be stretched all the way inch after inch

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Something that has helped me recognizing erronious chest measurements in ebay listings is noting the shoulder measurement. This is because shoulders (excluding potentially complicated bi-swing back jacket shoulder measurements) are pretty straightforward.

For instance, if I see a 20.5” chest measurement with 19” shoulders, my mind will be led to believe the seller measured from pit seams rather than straight all the way across. The Highwayman has this, like measured an inch shorter going by the chest seams only.

In my limited experience sleeves pose the most problems. I am always careful to insert the word “approximate” when selling. Sleeves are tricky.

Oakbark

Familiar Face
@nick123 , once I notice suspicious measurements, for example...chest widht as you said, then I do not trust even other measurements from that seller.

Then when I read ( approximate on the measurements ) is Red Alarm, cause it can be even 1 inch of difference allowed, that in metric system is 2,54 cm, that means 1 size of difference and unluckily I'm that kind of person ( for my body build) that 1 inch of difference completely changes how the clothes fit and when talking about leather jackets, the right measurements are even more important.
Of course 0,2 inches of difference is highly admissible cause it depends on many things how we take measurements and a bit of difference it's always taken into account.

I always try to get in touch with the seller even if he posts all the meauserements for a pre sale question
( always better)

Some, take the shoulders width from the front of the jacket:eek:
or the lenght including also the collar.

I'm sure everyone here have lots of stories about this stuff:D:D

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
@Fanch stole them from another thread about measuring jackets, and I stole them from him. I think the original author was Andy Faizon who was banned a while back, but we keep using his photos.

Hope this is helpful.

Yup, the tutorial on how to measure a jacket correctly did, in fact, originate with Andy Falzon who was banned here as well as the VLJ Forum. Although Andy could be abrasive and a bit of a self-promoter at times, he was also very knowledgeable in certain areas.

DEFINEGOODPIRATE_Big.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner