Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Was Your Day?

carter

I'll Lock Up
Dominic said:
Quite a regular day, nothing special other than the fact that I'm doodling something regarding the now infamous squirrels that sneaked into the "Men of the Lounge" thread. Hope to finish it by this week-end.

Sounds like a tough assignment. Dominic, you may need a nutcracker! :)

Can't wait to read it! :D

Those little subterranean rodents of the abberant persuasion may resurface at any moment and in any thread.

Beware the Evil Nut Empire.

But...wait...what of les Francaise, the Maquis, and the little girl with the doll? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Back to topic:

I spent most of the day reading, writing, and Lounging. It's a tough life but someone has to live it. :coffee: ;)

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Diamondback said:
Ahh, BTDT between my high-school and college newspaper years. Everybody else was either goofing off or AWOL the week after distribution in HS, then trying to rush all the work down in the remaining three days before press--they really hated me for having all my work done within a couple days of print and just lounging around the office. And then a lot of the time I had to "take command" close to deadline on the college paper when the boss was out on various emergencies or transfer trips: "You, you and you, panic. You, know Pagemaker? Good, get over here. Template issue's prebuilt here. Who all has articles submitted? What fits together on the page? Maggot*, I don't have time to play with you right now, we got work to do. Did "Amy" leave any page-idea sketches? Ah, there they are. Okay, my articles are in-place and trimmed, who's next? Let's get this done..."

"Maggot" was an overambitious assistant-editor who was always trying to get the boss fired and doing little power-plays against her, and that's what I actually called him to his face.

God, that sounds horrible. At least I only have to deal with two other people (three if you include my professor)...

Must be nice.

I'm between datacrunching on streamlined railcars and relative-composition analysis of the various carrier air groups deployed during WWII (sounds exciting, but it's giving me flashbacks to my Accounting classes--so bad that I swear I can hear the prof's thickly-accented voice in the back of my head!:eek:)

Thank God (and Mozilla) for Firefox, so I can work and Lounge at the same time!

zaika

One Too Many
today was BEAUTIFUL and warm here in portland. my friend and i decided to carve pumpkins outside, and my normally indoor cat, Bee, joined us (she stays on a leash because i live next to a busy road and don't want to take chances!!)

two photos of the pumpkins because in either one, a face isn't seen very well. and two photos of the kitty 'cause she's the cutest.

DSC04824.jpg

DSC04825.jpg

DSC04820.jpg

DSC04823.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
DA BRONX!

I spent the day house hunting in DA BRONX! I've finally been priced out of my beloved Brooklyn. Landlord raised the rent 15% for the next lease, so that's it. Housing costs in The Bronx are barely a third what they are in Park Slope, so sayonara, baby! Looked at a couple of boxey 60's vintage buildings. Yuccchhh!!! But I saw one charming place on Mosholu Parkway, which is green and elegant and picturesque. The building is a nice 1930 Art Deco, and the apt has nice moldings, and details. But there are a couple more I want to see. The bad part is my kitties will no longer have a back yard. They'll hate that, and so will I. But I'll definitely have a new vintage home! If I survive the trauma! And the Bronx is a lot nicer than its reputation. The South Bronx stabilized a long time ago, and other areas are quite nice. Not as many amenities as Brooklyn, but you can't have everything. Anyhoo, wish me luck.

zaika

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
I spent the day house hunting in DA BRONX! I've finally been priced out of my beloved Brooklyn. Landlord raised the rent 15% for the next lease, so that's it. Housing costs in The Bronx are barely a third what they are in Park Slope, so sayonara, baby! Looked at a couple of boxey 60's vintage buildings. Yuccchhh!!! But I saw one charming place on Mosholu Parkway, which is green and elegant and picturesque. The building is a nice 1930 Art Deco, and the apt has nice moldings, and details. But there are a couple more I want to see. The bad part is my kitties will no longer have a back yard. They'll hate that, and so will I. But I'll definitely have a new vintage home! If I survive the trauma! And the Bronx is a lot nicer than its reputation. The South Bronx stabilized a long time ago, and other areas are quite nice. Not as many amenities as Brooklyn, but you can't have everything. Anyhoo, wish me luck.

wow. good luck with all of that. i hope you can find something nice that you like. if it's vintage, will you take pictures? :) i'm looking at a move in the near future as well...

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Today was (is) good, but yesterday was better. Yesterday I was out of the office all day and in the woods. Our Special Operations Team had a training session on repelling and high-angle rescue. We went to a local rock cliff and set up several training scenarios where we worked on raising and lowering patients in rescue baskets. Being near Table rock and the Linville Gorge, we answer several calls each year where hikers or climbers have fallen and need rescue from rock cliffs.

I served as the team's safety officer on yesterday's exercise. The weather was exceptionally nice and the leaves were all beautiful brilliant colors. It was a great day to spend outside with a good bunch of guys who know how to have fun.

Here I am tending to one of the belay lines.

DSC02322.jpg

$ally

One Too Many
It looks so pretty there, Big Man. It makes me homesick.
The weather is finally cooling down here in Phoenix.
Everything is going so well right now. I have a new office job lined up before the severance pay ran out on the old one (sub-prime mortgage implosion lay-off). I'm looking into two high level costuming opportunities that would also bring me some serious money and recognition. I got out of a bad relationship just in the nick of time. One of the charities I work with was rescued from having to fold and go under. I might get to do a lot of traveling virtually for free this month. My son is getting high honors at college on a scholarship and having a blast with his friends living at the dorms. I'm losing weight so fast it's scary. Some childhood/lifelong friends are coming out to visit me. I have the BEST family in the world. And I'm one of those Arizona Chippies, who are so hot right now.
I'm going to make myself a dress from vintage pattern and fabric to celebrate!
Euphoria!

Big Man

$ally said:
It looks so pretty there, Big Man. It makes me homesick ...

Are you originally from around my neck of the woods, or just somewhere from the mountains in general?

$ally

One Too Many
I'm from the midwest, but grew up about a block away from the woods, creeks & a small river.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
Today was a very good day!! I had lunch with one of my friends in a restaurant where the only thing that you can eat is salmon (smoked, grilled, tartare...)... It was excellent!! After that we went for a walk in the Vieux Lyon (the old town of Lyon), and I bought a beautiful postcard with Constance Bennett on it!! Now I'm having a chai tea and I feel completely relaxed!! A day off university is so good!!!

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
My Confession:
Forgive me FL for I have not posted in such a long time...heeehee

Hey everyone,
The winter is usually a time for hibernation for me.
Sorry I haven't been around much, but I do still check in at least weekly.

My winter months have been moving right along.
I am glad the holidays are over and done with.
The days are getting lighter and there are only 62 more days until the first day of Spring! YAY!

I have been writing a lot lately, and getting myself inspired to paint again.

Spring is on it's way and I am getting Spring fever.

I hope you are all well and happy.
Maybe I'll see some of you at the Reading Air Show this Summer.
-Ann

Big Man

I know what you mean about waiting for spring - me, too! Winter is OK, but I always look forward to being able to get out, work in the yard and garden, and not have to worry about keeping the fire going to stay warm.

We had a bit of snow and ice here yesterday, so that meant working extra hours to ensure all the idiots who like to get out and "look at the snow" are properly cared for when they wreck their new SUV's (four wheel drive just means you can get farther into the snow before you get stuck :) ).

pgoat

One Too Many
Big Man said:
Today was (is) good, but yesterday was better. Yesterday I was out of the office all day and in the woods. Our Special Operations Team had a training session on repelling and high-angle rescue. We went to a local rock cliff and set up several training scenarios where we worked on raising and lowering patients in rescue baskets. Being near Table rock and the Linville Gorge, we answer several calls each year where hikers or climbers have fallen and need rescue from rock cliffs.

I served as the team's safety officer on yesterday's exercise. The weather was exceptionally nice and the leaves were all beautiful brilliant colors. It was a great day to spend outside with a good bunch of guys who know how to have fun.

Here I am tending to one of the belay lines.

DSC02322.jpg

cool look as always BM, and the weather there indeed looked lovely.

The wife and I are visiting friends soon (Near Chapel Hill); we've driven through The Carolinas a few times, but this will be our first time staying there. Didn't you folks get some snow and ice this week? We won't be there till the spring, but I am stoked to get some nice clean air to breathe....

Big Man

pgoat said:
cool look as always BM, and the weather there indeed looked lovely.

The wife and I are visiting friends soon (Near Chapel Hill); we've driven through The Carolinas a few times, but this will be our first time staying there. Didn't you folks get some snow and ice this week? We won't be there till the spring, but I am stoked to get some nice clean air to breathe....

Thanks for the nice comment. It was really a beautiful day when that [photo was taken. However, it's really COLD now. Yesterday morning it was down to 10 degrees (F). The water in the bathroom was frozen, and it took what seemed like forever for the fire in the fireplace to warm the house.

We had some snow and ice the end of last week, and there is a chance of some more today. As you can see in the picture, there's still a few patches left.

Inyard.jpg

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Got up at 8, went to the bank, and came back home and had breakfast. Then I came on here, fiddled around for a bit, and then made myself some lunch. So far, that's been my day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112