Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Was Your Day?

epr25

Practically Family
Well this was ok but I fell totally defeated. My car needs work, my computer died and I have a ton of bills due. We are supposed to get married in Dec. but the money situation is not lending itself to saving any twoard that so I am feeling kinda bad now.But I know it will be better in the morning.

WH1

Practically Family
Nashoba said:
Thanks...we're now trying to adjust to each other again....without driving each other crazy first....

Glad to hear he is home safe, good luck with the readjustment, be patient with one another.

I am a day or so late on this but need to tell you all about it, last week was my birthday but I was elsewhere training, so my wonderful wife planned a special day this week for me when I came home on leave. It started with breakfast in bed, followed by a trip to the barber (Roosters) for a straight razor/hot lather shave (amazing experience if you have never had one), a great lunch at Grill 29, a visit to the Humidor Pipe Shop, where they were hosting a special event with Optimo Hats and Perdomo Cigars. I met Graham Thompson of Optimo Hats, was measured and ordered a new fedora. I then met Nick Perdomo of Perdomo Cigars. Truly a gentleman, he was very generous with his time and I enjoyed talking about Nicaragua with him. I look forward to visiting the country again, a beautiful land with wonderful people. My wife bought me a box of his best and I got a new lighter. We then checked into the Embassy Suites and after a nap went to dinner at the Chop House where we ran into Mr. Perdomo again. After dinner we had the pleasure of sharing a drink and a cigar with him. Then went back to the hotel. All in all a perfect way to spend a day. Am I a lucky fellow or what? My wife is wonderful.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I actually got to work on time today, for like the first time ever. My boss is late and was not here to see this amazing and miraculous event. lol

Then all our printers in the office went down - boss still not here to fix them, so fixing that teensy crisis was fun.

We'll see how the rest of the day goes.

I will say that I am looking forward to watching the Red Sox kick some Yankee butt tonight tho!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Nashoba said:
Thanks...we're now trying to adjust to each other again....without driving each other crazy first....

So glad to hear he's home safe and sound!

On my way to work this morning, I was listening to a feature on NPR about service men returning home and the adjustments that the soldiers and their families go through as part of that process.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Big Man said:
DSC02209.jpg

That looks like one of the best days ever!

Yesterday was a relief--finally got the contractor (who was technically in "breach of contract", and had already missed 3 deadlines after assuring both me and the landlord next door--part of the fence came down over the property-line--that it'd be done by last Friday*, then Saturday, then Wednesday...) out to get my fence fixed...

GRRR! It's like, "If you ain't gonna be able to make deadline, can you at least explain upfront about it? Especially when you got the contract based on your assurance that you would meet deadline?"

Well, at least having to waste time playing with them's done and I can be back to more productive things... (or just plain "camping" here on the Lounge while I wait for the numbers to finish crunching on a research project...lol)

dashiell

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
GRRR! It's like, "If you ain't gonna be able to make deadline, can you at least explain upfront about it? Especially when you got the contract based on your assurance that you would meet deadline?"

Agreed. We all understand that things come up, jobs take more time and resources than expected, and estimates are just plain off at times. At those times, however, I do not wish to be treated as though the fact that the job will be completed sometime before next spring is a grand favor for which I should show eternal gratitude. And I do not want to be given new falsehoods to replace old mistakes. If a project cannot be attended to in the specified timeframe, tell me honestly when it can be attended to, and do it with an air of understanding that there are more people than you who can attend to it.

That was a bit rant-ish. :eek: I really meant to congratulate you on your fence.

Congratulations! :eusa_clap

zaika

One Too Many
Today was actually a crappy day. The whole week has sucked, but today was the worst.
To top it off all the friends and family that I called to chat with either didn't answer, or started talking to me and then got distracted and hung up. WTF? Even my hairdresser won't call me back!
Peh.
Here's to hoping that tomorrow will be a better day!:(

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think there must've been something in the air this week -- I had a very rough day yesterday. A staffer at the theatre gave notice because I'd been "too rough" on him when I reprimanded him recently for not doing his job properly. Now, I'm ordinarily not a cruel, merciless workplace martinet, but when a guy just up and goes home leaving a huge and unsanitary mess to be dealt with the next morning, personally I think that guy has earned a thorough hazing. But now *I'm* the one feeling guilty about what happened, and spent most of the night lying awake fretting about it and worrying about getting in trouble with my own boss, to say nothing about having to scramble to come up with someone to replace the guy.

But it's sunny and warm out, and I'm going downtown to my favorite lunch room for sausage and eggs and a stiff cup of tea, and hopefully the world will look a little better...

zaika

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
but when a guy just up and goes home leaving a huge and unsanitary mess to be dealt with the next morning, personally I think that guy has earned a thorough hazing.

Huh...I'm with you. What was he?? 12? :rolleyes: At least you won't have to deal with his messes anymore.

Gosh...that lunch sounds good!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yesterday was a good day. It was Homecoming Sunday at Nebo Methodist Church, the church where my family attended when I was little. Almost all of the folks who I remembered as a small child are gone now, but there were several folks there who remembered some of the old names.

Several days before, I was going through some of the things my Mother saved (she seemed to save everything when I was little). In the old papers was my certificate of completion for Vacation Bible School at Nebo Methodist, dated August 19, 1959. I took this with me to church Sunday and discovered there were only three of us there who were in that class.

Of course there was a big cover dish meal following church, so that was a good part of the day as well. All in all it was a great time spent talking about "the good old days" of my early childhood.

Nashoba

One Too Many
I'm trying to be a kind wife this week since my husband has 4 days off before having to report back to duty. Yesterday he slept until noon then didn't get out of bed until closer to 2:00. We got me a new phone, which I'm now having issues with because sprint is being stupid and taking forever to switch everything over, but I love my new phone. And today it's already after 9 and he's still asleep and I'm playing on my computer....I don't think much is going to be acomplished in the next 4 days......

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sunday was a very good day. The family all (well, just about all - one daughter had to work) got together for a cook-out for my son's 25th birthday. After we ate, everyone went out to the porch and sat around and talked just like we did in "the old days". It was really good to have just about everyone together. As the children get older, it's harder and harder to get them all together at the same time.

DSC02242.jpg

Gideon Ashe

One of the Regulars
You have THAT right,....

zaika said:
Today was actually a crappy day. The whole week has sucked, but today was the worst.
To top it off all the friends and family that I called to chat with either didn't answer, or started talking to me and then got distracted and hung up. WTF? Even my hairdresser won't call me back!
Peh.
Here's to hoping that tomorrow will be a better day!:(

Bullet in my right hip (1969) is letting me know it is still there. Without the cane I could not get around. At least I look cool.
All of the bones I have fractured since 1952 and all of the ortho injuries are screaming at me, and mooting the dozen asprin I have taken.
I cant move without feeling like I am going to break into lots of little parts.
I am cranky, and I cut the hell out of myself shaving. If I was a braver person I would have cut my throat, but who wants to ruin a good shirt.
I went to the store and they were out of decent single malt. Settled for bourbon, but it tastes like what it is. Second best.
Lunch was mediocre, but my boy cats were full of love and THAT makes it a bit better. Old sucks, but the other alternatives REALLY suck more.
Nickle says it will get a little beter. it always does. Too bad everything is so boring. When you have had an exciting life the bordon of old age and retirement is a bummer.
Trust me on that .

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
In Hibernation

Over the past few weeks I have been feeling a litle bit withdrawn while dealing with a few things going on in my life.

Maybe it's the change of seasons. With summer ending I feel the need to have more time to myself and get things organized.

I've been going out dancing weekly. I also have been having a weekly date on Saturday with a friend of mine. We order a pizza, watch an old movie, and talk about our week. (This weeks movie will either be Airport or The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer) :)

I bought that old bicycle a few weeks ago as mentioned in the Baloon Tire Bikes thread. I have it soaked in Clorox Clean-Up and let it sit out in the rain. I plan on giving it a good scrubbing this weekend.

I hope everyone is doing well and having a wonderful week!

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
PA Dancer said:
Over the past few weeks I have been feeling a little bit withdrawn while dealing with a few things going on in my life.

Maybe it's the change of seasons. With summer ending I feel the need to have more time to myself and get things organized.

I hope everyone is doing well and having a wonderful week!

Aw, I know how you feel. Us introverts need time to ourselves!

My week had its ups and downs--ups being that my school's literary journal that I was published in finally was printed, so I have a copy (yay!), downs being that this year I have to work on the same journal, and those who are supposed to help are MIA.

I hope you all have a fantastic weekend!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I'm still recovering from my quick trip to NYC. 5 hour drive down Monday night -- stayed up late yakking, spent the day in Gotham on Tuesday -- staying up late yakking, then got up at 4 am Wed. for the 5 hour drive back so my friend could get back in time for a business meeting later that day.

Between the overstimulation of NYC, the lack of sleep and 10 hours in a car in a short period I was pretty much a zombie yesterday. I'm slowly coming around today. Back into the car tomorrow afternoon for a 2 hour drive to Maine but that should be a relative snap.

Congrats on the publication sweetfrancaise! I've been acting as an editor for a friend's story this week too--forgot to mention that. Sometimes I think I like editing the work of others more than creating my own.

sweetfrancaise said:
downs being that this year I have to work on the same journal, and those who are supposed to help are MIA.
Ahh, BTDT between my high-school and college newspaper years. Everybody else was either goofing off or AWOL the week after distribution in HS, then trying to rush all the work down in the remaining three days before press--they really hated me for having all my work done within a couple days of print and just lounging around the office. And then a lot of the time I had to "take command" close to deadline on the college paper when the boss was out on various emergencies or transfer trips: "You, you and you, panic. You, know Pagemaker? Good, get over here. Template issue's prebuilt here. Who all has articles submitted? What fits together on the page? Maggot*, I don't have time to play with you right now, we got work to do. Did "Amy" leave any page-idea sketches? Ah, there they are. Okay, my articles are in-place and trimmed, who's next? Let's get this done..."

"Maggot" was an overambitious assistant-editor who was always trying to get the boss fired and doing little power-plays against her, and that's what I actually called him to his face.

Dominic

One of the Regulars
Quite a regular day, nothing special other than the fact that I'm doodling something regarding the now infamous squirrels that sneaked into the "Men of the Lounge" thread. Hope to finish it by this week-end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran