Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Was Your Day?

Kishtu

Practically Family
Oh, I bet that will be a terrible hardship for you... har har har.

Don't suppose you're short of a research assistant are you?

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It wa 103 yesterday! Too damned hot!
nono2.gif

Kishtu

Practically Family
Spitfire said:
Well, if you plan to step up in the dress and hairstyle from your avatar, I might just squeze in one more...;)

Ha, it's not you that has to squeeze anything in that dress, m'dear!

Twitch - 103? how come you don't just melt? I'd be a grease spot in that heat!

dashiell

One of the Regulars
It's been a good day and it's been a not-so-good day. On the one hand, it didn't break 100 degrees today. That was delicious. On the other hand, I was hoping for an easy day after the huge amount of work I had to do over the holiday weekend (I won't go into what trouble the tenants managed to cause except to say they are certainly creative). I spent Tuesday tying up loose ends from the weekend, and had a very long day of it. Today promised to be fairly easy until ... *dramatic drumroll* someone decided to try adjusting the gas on their stove. There's good news in that I fixed things before anything blew up. There's not-so good news in that I breathed enough gas to still be dizzy (having noticed the problem from outside the apartment, you can imagine how much gas was involved) and I have a fair sized gash on my arm as a product of my haste. They broke the valves doing whatever they were doing (which, if I understand correctly, was just satisfying a curiosity about how stoves work ... admirable in a way, I suppose), so those have to be replaced.

[huh]

I know, who cares, right? I just wanted to "voice" it, because it was a perfectly good stove and now I have to buy expensive parts, the cost of which may be nearly equivalent to a new stove altogether. I had wanted to make improvements to the laundry room, but now I won't be able to consider that for another month. It's frustrating.

Big Man

Really good day ...

Well, so far it's been a really good day. It was "grandparent's day" at my grandson's school today, so I stopped by and had lunch with him.

My grandson is the third generation to attend school at Oak Hill, and his great grandfather was the principal there as well. He and his little classmates (and his teacher) enjoyed hearing me tell what it was like when I went to school there, and how I used to go squirrel hunting before school where their play ground is now (times have sure changed since I was a boy). It was especially fun to see the expression on his face when I told him that the same classroom he has now was where my third grade class was in 1963.

Yes, it sure has been a good day!

DSC02209.jpg

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I apprehended a burglar trying to get into my house. We were properly burgled two weeks ago, and the police think it's the same man. I then had to look at 288 pictures of known criminals and try to identify him, which I couldn't do.

it was a bad day

*sniff*

zaika

One Too Many
Ada Veen said:
I apprehended a burglar trying to get into my house. We were properly burgled two weeks ago, and the police think it's the same man. I then had to look at 288 pictures of known criminals and try to identify him, which I couldn't do.

it was a bad day

*sniff*

I'm very sorry you had to go through that. :( Can't say I've ever apprehended a burglar...but one time we did come home from vacation to find our house vandalised. My parents' water bed had been slashed and several small appliances were thrown in the water still plugged in. It was scary and unsettling.
Good luck getting all that sorted out. I hope you can find a sense of security again soon!

Big Man

Ada Veen said:

it was a bad day

*sniff*

I hate that happened to you. Too bad you couldn't have "ended his career" when you apprehended him in the act.

My house was burgled about 25 years ago. My Dad was coming home with my son (who was about 4 or 5 at the time) and noticed a strange car along the road at the end of our drive (we live on a long drive with the house back in the woods).

Upon reaching the house, my Dad saw a man coming out the window with his arms loaded with stolen goods. Yelling for him to "drop what you have, you SOB" (you really have to know my Dad to fully appreciate the power which he yelled - he was a really BIG man in his prime), he immediately turned the car around and returned to where the strange car was parked. It was apparent that this was the "getaway car", so my Dad got out, reached through the window of the parked car, and pulled the driver out onto the ground. He stood on the guy's chest and told him "you can either tell me who is robbing the house or draw your last breath."

It worked, as not only did the guy tell my Dad who he was and who the robber was, but he gave him his wallet and drivers license! This being in the days before cell phones, my Dad left, called the Sheriff, and within an hour was identifying the robbers. When we walked into the Sheriff's office to identify them, the guy who was in the car immediately said "this is the man who pulled me out of the car, he can tell you I didn't rob the house." What a moron ...

zaika

One Too Many
Big Man said:
...into the Sheriff's office to identify them, the guy who was in the car immediately said "this is the man who pulled me out of the car, he can tell you I didn't rob the house." What a moron ...

That is a fantastic story!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran