Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I survived!

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Hi again to everyone!

I sort of dropped off the list for a few months there, as I was busy graduating from college. School can be so inconvenient! I am, however, now a professional archaeologist, having worked (for money!) over the summer. I now have a "real" job (according to my mum) working as the coordinator of special exhibits at a museum here in L.A.

Anyway, looks like you gals have been busy! I can't wait to dive into some of these threads and get caught up.

Glad to be back!

~ Queenie.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yay! I'm glad you're back! I was just wondering today what happened to you. Congrats on the graduation! What museam do you work at?

MissQueenie

Practically Family
I'm at the California Science Center, and I'm technically called "Special Exhibitions Coordinator" but right now I do a lot of panicking about not knowing what I'm supposed to do, or how to do it. I am hoping that I'll get the hang of it soon!

How've you been? I've been thinking a lot about your friend in Egypt, did he get back safely?

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Oh, you!

I wish! I'm "taking a break" (and paying off my student loans) before heading on into graduate school. It might be a few years before I get to be "Dr. Queenie" :p

LaMedicine

One Too Many
MissQueenie said:
I was busy graduating from college. School can be so inconvenient! I am, however, now a professional archaeologist, having worked (for money!) over the summer. I now have a "real" job (according to my mum) working as the coordinator of special exhibits at a museum here in L.A.

Congrats on graduating!
Archaeologist--How romantic! The romance of digging into history! As a girl, one of my dreams was to join a dig and make an historical discovery. Somewhere along the way, my course changed, but I hope you'll find lots of satisfaction with what you do. Good luck! :cheers1:

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Thanks!

I'm still trying to work out what exactly I plan to do with myself. I have to admit, the appeal of the Foreign Service is strong, but their budget has been so destroyed in the last few years that it's now almost impossible to get *in* -- archaeology is great, and I do love it, but if I stuck with it I just don't know what I would want to specialize in (since that's what we do these days -- specialize). I studied South American Pre-Columbian societies in undergrad, and enjoyed that extremely. Anyway, this is exactly why I am working and not plunging blindly into the murky and piranha-infested waters of academia.

Lauren

MissQueenie said:
How've you been? I've been thinking a lot about your friend in Egypt, did he get back safely?

Sorry, I don't have a friend in Egypt, but I'm sure someone is enjoying the fact that you're thinking of them ;)

I'm glad you're back! Sounds like cool work you're doing! I really wanted to be a curator of a textile collection in a museam, so your work is very interesting to me. Although it's not textiles, it's a museam! and anything that promotes eductucation in our culture I'm all for.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Sorry Lauren! I was being unintentionally vague; I meant the gent who was working on Treasure of the Templars and his trip to north Africa.

I wish I had known you were interested in working with textile collections! The Victoria and Albert museum was hiring for paid full time interns to work with a variety of their collections in London...I would have applied myself but i was working in Texas at the time! I would check their site periodically as I think it might be a yearly position.

~ Queenie.

Lauren

OOOHhh... I went there this summer while we were making the movie (btw, Ken made it back fine!) and absolutely DIED! I spent absolutely hours in there and shot over 200 pics (which I ended up buying a book of so I erased most of them.) I didn't care for London. Wonder if they'd let me live among the dresses?

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Did you know that two pedestrians DIE every day in London because they're hit by vehicles?? TWO!

I love London, but I "love" it the way I love all big cities...I'm fickle. Cities are a little schizophrenic, and they can jump from personality to personality at the drop of a hat...I like London when I'm in the mood for it, but then, I lived abroad for quite some time in the UK and Ireland, so it had a chance to grow on me I guess. What didn't you like about it? (I hated that people would just push you on the street! So much for British manners!)

I am SO jealous that you got to spend so much time at V&A. I've never been lucky enough to go...I was always diverted by the British Museum (which I still have yet to explore to my heart's content!), and my friends were real wet blankets when I suggested V&A -- apparently "normal" people find it incredibly dull. You should post some of the prettiest things for us poor, deprived souls!

I'm really glad to hear that Ken made it home safely (I felt like a dork after asking -- I checked his website and lo and behold there were all sorts of happy updates!). How was the trip to Scotland?

~ Queenie

Lauren

You HAVE to go to the V&A! Simply HAVE to! Basically my time in London consisted of the V&A and the Tower of London. That's all I really wanted to see in the short time I had there other than what I saw from the top of a sightseeing bus.

Basically that's the reason I signed on to the Indy movie. I wanted to go to the V&A and I wanted to go to the Costume Museam at Bath. I had dreamed fo the V&A since I was about 14, and the museam at bath for about 6 years, so I was sort of making a pilgrimage (and it truly could be considered one since I made the 10-11 hour bus ride alone and overnight from Dundee to London). While London was too modern for me, Bath was idyllic. It was like I stepped into a time machine, combining modern convieniences with historic charm. It was diffucult that on the trip we primarily had to rely on public transportation to do sightseeing, and the time and money allowed for such adventures was scarce. It was an interesting experience, though not one I'd probably do again. I am glad I did it, but it lessened the glow of my dream of being a Hollywood costume designer. It definately made it easier to come home and get a desk job!

I suppose my big city home is Paris. I'm a resolute francophile.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Paris is a glorious place -- I've only spent three days there, but it was enough. I walked everywhere and fell utterly in love. I am dying to go back...I'd planned to go through Paris and Breton with a lover on my way home from Jordan in the summer of '04, but neither trip happened -- I didn't go with the excavation team that summer, and we never saw Paris side by side. It's a very walkable city; I know a little TOO much about the place, having taken a wonderful class taught by Cynthia Truant at UCSD called "Paris: Past and Present" (but she should have added, "But mostly past"). Anyway, since I took the class, I've been hoping for a chance to get back.

I've longed to go to Bath, also, but again it's one of those places I've just missed in my roaming.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Congratulations Queenie!

If you can, post a pic from your graduation ceremony of you modelling your well earned hood and robes. We're all very proud of you, no matter what the press say about degrees being devalued with more and more folk going through university, the reality is it's no easy task and a real achievement to have a college degree conferred upon you! That's just great news, well done!! :)

ITG

Call Me a Cab
MissQueenie said:
a wonderful class taught by Cynthia Truant at UCSD called "Paris: Past and Present" (but she should have added, "But mostly past"). Anyway, since I took the class, I've been hoping for a chance to get back.
Did she by chance write a book by that name? I have said titled book in my classroom (a gift from a student a few years back who got to visit Paris).

Congrats on your graduation and new job. What got you interested in archaeology?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24