Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is A Wrap Always Appropriate for Evening Dress?

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I'm hoping you ladies can help me out here. I'm going on a 30s outing next weekend and we'll be going out for cocktails and dinner afterwards. Would a lady always wear some type of wrap with her evening dress? I know I could remove it after I got inside, but I was wondering if bare shoulders was OK in traveling to and from the activities. I'll be in Madison, WI, but I'm pretty sure it will still be warm enough not to wear one. I'd like to know because I made the dress and if I need one, then I'd like to make a simple coordinating wrap to go with the dress and since I've only got about a week, I've got to decide soon! Oh, and I bought some nice vintage-looking long black gloves to wear with my sleeveless dress. I can't wait to get all "dolled up"! You're opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I say, if you have time, make the wrap. There is something undefinably classy about having to remove things like gloves and wraps and so forth, that just add the layer of 'how perfectly dressed she is!' to the whole image.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Thanks, MN, I was going to just make a simple self-lined rectangle looking wrap. My dress is a rich navy blue and I thought I'd make the wrap either in that fabric or in black fabric (same type of fabric) because my gloves are black. It wouldn't take much time to sew, but I still have to get the fabric. I like that description of being undefinably classy, that's exactly the look I'm going for!

Caledonia

Practically Family
Hi BonnieJean. I'd agree, make the wrap. The wrap would always have been there even if she didn't wear it (maybe it was only a hop, skip, and jump to the cocktail lounge from the car, or it's really hot), but she'd have carried it, or worn it off shoulder so she had it either for the coolness of late evening (or dawn, depending on how hard she partied!) or the car journey home if it was an open car. I particularly like the drape around mid back then hooked under the elbow if it's warm. You can then lift it and drape around the neck and shoulders later. Hope you have a fabulous time!

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Bonnie, I'm really glad you brought this question up since I'm now in the final process of getting the 'extras' for my QM outfits. I think this has probably been asked before but, what are great books for getting a great idea of putting these looks together? (I have already read 'the way we wore')

Caledonia

Practically Family
Why not try some of the vintage magazine sellers. You can pick up vintage fashion and pattern magazines quite cheaply, like Vogue, Delineator etc, and because they're magazines you can choose your year, then browse to your heart's content. Some of them can be expensive, but if you google around you'll get them for cheaper than a book (maybe ebay does them?). And there's always just googling for vintage images. If you can get a good sized image print it off. A whole outfit idea for the cost of the print out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran