Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this blazer ok for a wedding guest?

rachelolive92

Banned
So I have a summer wedding to attend. I know the bride and grrom because they are my girlfriends flatmates.

I bought this blazer from urbanoutfitters because it was in the sale and I loved it but never really had anything to wear it to
Do you think that would be ok to wear as a guest? I know the groom is wearing a simple suit, I don't want to be overdressed. I love the blazer,what do u think about it?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Tweed and summer don't really go together but I doubt anyone in SD would even notice the faux pas. I hope it's an indoor (A/C) affair as tweed can be quite warm.........

The Good

Call Me a Cab
If you feel like this is the most appropriate thing that you have to wear, then I think it's fine. If you have too many doubts, then it's probably the time to consider an alternative, maybe a suit. I don't even own a full suit yet, but I'd work with what I have at least. I think wearing a blazer or sport coat isn't too overdressed. Maybe since it's summer though, you might see other guests wearing less suits than otherwise.

Three years ago if I recall, I've been to a summer wedding, and there were still plenty of guests wearing suits in the heat.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Given that SD isn't terribly warm, even in the summer, you should be fine. Since it's a wedding, a certain modicum of formality is appropriate so I'd go with a spread collar and a solid color tie with a pocket square to match. With a grey coat, you'll want black shoes, loafers will do if that's all you have. What color slacks were you thinking of?

Edward

Bartender
I can only see a tiny version of the picture at that link, but it looks okay. I shouldn't think separates would be too informal at a wedding where the groom is wearing a lounge suit. Bearing in mind how normal it is nowadays, at least here in the UK, for a wedding to feature wedding party in morning dress and guests in lounge suits, there's much less of a gap in formality with what you propose. Tweed traditionally was heavier so normally worn in Winter / cooler weather. I have seen plenty of lighter, "Summer weight" tweeds, though. It was also traditionally a country thing here in the UK, though less so I get the impression in the US. Personally, I'm perfectly happy wearing tweed and even brown in town. I live in central London and I'm not going to limit my wardrobe choices that far! ;) If you're comfortable with it and it's fine for the heat, go for it, I say.

kyboots

Practically Family
( OLD FART REPORT ): If you are old enough to marry and I assume you are, I would wear a sport coat or a suit. Teenagers will only wear a shirt, tie and no coat, and look like teenagers,but you are not a teen. You are a maturing individual to deal with! Afterall it is a wedding not a picnic. Show respect to your friends, their families, your date and the occasion,by dressing appropriately. You will most likley burn up in this tweed that looks good otherwise, but not for summer. If this is outside on the beach at night then go for it. If it is a summer afternoon or evening wedding go with a sport coat. John

Last edited:

Fifty150

One Too Many
Wear what you want to wear. I've, on more than one occasion, found myself dressed better than the groom, person of honor, et cetera. If on their own big day, they can't show enough respect for themselves, to be dressed appropriately, then it's not your fault for being a dandy. If you feel that you need to be dressed in a lesser fashion than the bridal party, then I would go with an A-2 jacket, Pendleton shirt, Levis 501 jeans, and Sears work boots.

Edward

Bartender
Wear what you want to wear. I've, on more than one occasion, found myself dressed better than the groom, person of honor, et cetera. If on their own big day, they can't show enough respect for themselves, to be dressed appropriately, then it's not your fault for being a dandy. If you feel that you need to be dressed in a lesser fashion than the bridal party, then I would go with an A-2 jacket, Pendleton shirt, Levis 501 jeans, and Sears work boots.

MEOW! lol

I would consider it bad form to knowingly outdress the groom, but if it happens inadvertently and as a result of the groom's own sloppiness in the day, well, that's another matter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner