Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leathers M200 remake

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
the pic with standard length fits great. with the long jacket when the zip is all the way down to the hem like that it won't get any shorter, if the zip starts a bit higher from the hem then overtime the part below the zipper box will start to crease and fold or crumpled a bit and appear shorter

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't understand this, unless you are on the short side. I asked Alan to make mine 27 inches at back - an M200 and the cafe racer version and they came out fine at front. Maybe two inches over my belt (as I prefer them). I am six two. I ended up selling both because one was too heavy (3oz) you just don't get a chance to heavy hide here. The other was a bit wide in the shoulders (my fault).

Psant25

One Too Many
I don't understand this, unless you are on the short side. I asked Alan to make mine 27 inches at back - an M200 and the cafe racer version and they came out fine at front. Maybe two inches over my belt (as I prefer them). I am six two. I ended up selling both because one was too heavy (3oz) you just don't get a chance to heavy hide here. The other was a bit wide in the shoulders (my fault).
im 5 ft 10 inches 170 lbs for reference and 40 inch chest. typical aero buids have been 26 back length and after break in and creasing of the cxl leather they shorten up to about 25 which seems great. i wasnt thinking that this build being naked leather probably is not going to crease up. and this front length seemed longer compared to aero. maybe again due to how it draped and not being stiff or how he builds these front to back im not quite sure. his stock back length for a 42 is 23.5 inches. i should have if anything just told him "plus 1" on length and not 26.

Psant25

One Too Many
Wait a second... did you order that 27" Frankenstein jacket after or before you tried on that fit jacket?
the fit jacket was first and I thought it could use an inch. I ended up asking for 26 inch back length. I thought the stock fit jacket I think was 24.5 and was trying to accommodate for some shortening after break in and creasing by getting an inch longer than I needed. And it ended up being then a few inches long. I guess it takes some trial and error and I was over thinking it. Do you think that black fit jacket looks good ?

Psant25

One Too Many
What about the fit of the stock M-200 didn't you like. It looks good to me.
lol I don't know I was thinking it could use maybe an inch in length at the back. again, just over thinking it trying to guess if it would shorten with break in and how much and trying to compensate for that. It felt great I should have just went with my gut and kept it stock length like that.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the fit jacket looks great, that is exactly where I like my jackets to end below the belt. The custom jacket you received looks more like a car coat with the extra length. Not bad necessarily, but not the fit you were after.
Very cool How Alan is taking care of the situation, I can't wait to see the remake.

Psant25

One Too Many
I think the fit jacket looks great, that is exactly where I like my jackets to end below the belt. The custom jacket you received looks more like a car coat with the extra length. Not bad necessarily, but not the fit you were after.
Very cool How Alan is taking care of the situation, I can't wait to see the remake.
I'll post when it comes in. and i did also order a black one ... after he agreed to remake the brown.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
The fit jacket is a perfect fit, which is my point exactly. It's beyond me why you would add 3" to that style after having tried it on. Alan is a better human being than me, that's for sure, because i would've dealt with this very differently. At least you ordered a second jacket, I guess...

Psant25

One Too Many
The fit jacket is a perfect fit, which is my point exactly. It's beyond me why you would add 3" to that style after having tried it on. Alan is a better human being than me, that's for sure, because i would've dealt with this very differently. At least you ordered a second jacket, I guess...
well thanks for your opinion... i guess ... I was trying to add 1 inch to the fit jacket. It was my mistake Alan was great and it all worked out in the end for both of us. that is probably why he runs a successful business that has been in business for years. if he had "dealt" with me I probably would have not posted something nice like this about him here and I for sure probably would not have ordered a second jacket from him.

It's a live and learn endeavor...I haven't ever had my jackets shrink 1" in the body or the sleeves. Sometimes over thinking things like that end up creating undesirable fits. Glad it worked out for you in the end. It does go to show just what a first class business Alan and Johnson Leathers run.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is a little harsh man. The OP made a mistake on his order (as have many of us here) and he was up front about that fact from the beginning. I agree that it would have been completely reasonable of Alan to refuse a return in this case, but he didn't and now he has a happy customer who is buying more jackets and spreading the good word.

Yeah it's really easy to over cook it. The mind goes in wild directions when you start to consider "what if's" about how a jacket might age and how that will effect the fit. I will say spec'ing a jacket with an extra bit of length to accommodate for "shrinkage" is a bad idea. Insert my favorite costanza meme here.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yes, JJ is being harsh. I think adding an extra inch to that original fit is fine. I probably would have asked for that too based on the photo. Fitting a jacket is personal taste and one of the reasons we deal with companies like Alan's is to get precisely what we want.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
sometime, it is the way we stand or the camera's height. sometime we stand unnaturally straight and the jacket looks shorter, and when we casually hunched a little the jacket looks long. especially if you look down to your own torso to check the jacket then it always looks longer than when other people look at you or when you look yourself straight on the mirror, you tucked your shirt the jacket looks right, you wear it with untucked t-shirt the jacket looks short :confused: straight hem is so difficult to get right, scalloped hem (whatever the name where the center front or back hem is longer than the sides) is so much easier.

Peacoat

Bartender
Remember, when dealing with Johnson Leathers, and probably the others as well, they are more than happy to look at photos of the customer wearing the jacket and offer an opinion. I know I have done that with Wade and Carrie, John Chapman and think I did it with Alan as well.

Had that service been utilized here, the problem wouldn't have arisen. Live and learn; experience is the best teacher and all of that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael