Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping that lipstick ON your lips

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I ditto JBG on the Cover Girl Outlast on the kissing issue, but I can't stand the way it wears off and when you try to put more on, it just doesn't look as good.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
jitterbugdoll said:
Cover Girl Outlast is the best I've found for that little issue--it doesn't kiss of right away, though eventually the color sort of disappears (sans smears though.) But no one is left looking like a clown after a little necking lol
So, with this lipstick not getting on any skin, I take it that while having a glass of wine, you won't have the dreaded lipstick mark? this is what I want to get rid of....especially for the QM!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
It doesn't transfer anywhere :)

If you apply a thin layer, it also doesn't wear off too badly either (and you can't layer it--that causes it to peel off immediately.) For a good vintage red, I suggest the color Ever Red-dy.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Wow! These are some great tips, ladies. I'm about to get into a very smoochy day (wedding is next Saturday...) and need something to keep the lips in place!

I've tried that cover girl stuff, but I think it dries my lips out to the brink! But it does stay put.

I'll have to try the ice cube trick. I wonder if that's because it hardens the wax in the lipstick. Is wax even in lipsticks any more?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I just bought Mac Retro Matte lipstick in Ruby Woo, since I've heard it recommended often! I'm used to really glossy lipsticks though, so it's weird to adjust to.

When I put it on it first, with a lip brush, it looked great! But by the time I got to work, it was disappearing in the center, leaving a bit of a ring and just looking totally uneven. Not what I wanted at all! I'm accustomed to wearing red lipstick everday, so I don't ever smush my lips together or touch my face, so I know I didnt smudge it off myself.

Any tips? I've used the powder thing with other lipsticks and it works well, but this lipstick feels dry enough already. :/

P

Phaedra

I usually use a gloss over most of my lipstick colors, I like Chanel Glossimer in Blizzard. It blends nicely with most colors and keeps my lipstick on longer.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
I use Cover Girl Outlast All-Day Lip Color. Once in the morning, once after lunch and once in the evening if I am going out. You do need make up remover to remove it at night.

You can kiss all day long and it doesn't come off on his skin or collar.

I love all the bronze tones which I usually wear during the day (I think they make my teeth look whiter) and daytime I go for a little more natural look unless of am dressed a little more vintage.

I am still looking for the perfect red in this type of lipstick though :rolleyes:

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I discovered a new way to create the perfect transfer-proof red--use your favorite red lip liner to line and fill your lips, then top with a red CG Outlast or a similar product (right now I am wearing MAC Cherry liner topped with MAC Lasting Lust.) The lip liner (you can use a thin coat of lipstick, too) alters the finished color slightly and gives the Outlast a more natural look and comfortable feel. And, the finished combination is perfectly budge proof :)

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I like to wear my lipstick as a stain - I usually wear Besame Cherry Red and it's quite dark, so after filling in the lips with liner and blotting, I dab some of the lipstick onto my finger and press the colour onto the lips. Then I blot, brush with powder, and repeat. If I want a less matte look, I put on a tiny bit of Vaseline, but matte is nice too. I neaten the edges up with liner, as my the finger technique looks a bit smudgy. I find this makes my lipstick last for hours, although Besame lipsticks are quite long lasting anyway...

roots66

One of the Regulars
jitterbugdoll said:
I discovered a new way to create the perfect transfer-proof red--use your favorite red lip liner to line and fill your lips, then top with a red CG Outlast or a similar product (right now I am wearing MAC Cherry liner topped with MAC Lasting Lust.) The lip liner (you can use a thin coat of lipstick, too) alters the finished color slightly and gives the Outlast a more natural look and comfortable feel. And, the finished combination is perfectly budge proof :)

The instructions for most long-wears specifically state to apply the color part to clean, dry, product-free lips. Nevertheless I'll give the liner a try--wouldn't be the first time a counter-intuitive makeup tip has worked for me! My current fave longwear is Maybelline Superstay--Flame and Ruby are both good reds on me and can last a night out without flaking or fading, as long as I avoid eating anything with oil in it.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Lip exfoliation; (I'm probably just making up words now:p )...the best product I've found on the market is by Mary Kay. Lips are very sensitive so be very careful with them! after exfoliating them, make sure you put on a good lip balm.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
The instructions for most long-wears specifically state to apply the color part to clean, dry, product-free lips.

Yep, I know--but I took the advice of another user and found that the long-wearing lipstick acts as a sealant over traditional lipstick (more so than any product marketed as a lipstick sealant, like She-Laq. I've tried these, but they didn't actually do anything to make my lipstick more budge proof in the least.) You certainly can't apply Outlast or similar products over anything oily, but liner and matte lipstick doesn't seem to interfere with the properties of the long-wearing lipstick.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Lip exfoliation; (I'm probably just making up words now )...the best product I've found on the market is by Mary Kay. Lips are very sensitive so be very careful with them! after exfoliating them, make sure you put on a good lip balm.

I like to use a homemade sugar scrub or just a plain toothbrush for this. You certainly need to exfoliate before using something like Outlast (or any particularly matte lipstick), as the product grabs hold of any flakes and looks terrible :)

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Rebecca D said:
Is there really such a thing as a kiss-proof lipstick? I know a fella that removes not only my lipstick but also half of my make up every time we smooch. I'm certainly not complaining about the quality of kisses, only the removal of my make up. I think "kiss proof" lipstick is false advertising!

lol I have the same problem. After kissing my boyfriend my chin becomes make-up free!

Regarding the original post, I haven't come across any miracles. Lipcote doesn't work at all. Longer wearing lipsticks are horribly drying particularly to the centre/inner part of your lips, and if you try and apply more to that area the whole texture goes bumpy and icky. Lining and blotting definitely helps and also using a higher quality lipstick with richer pigment. I have recently discovered MAC Ruby Woo which is quite drying (but so pretty) and it's the only red lipstick I can wear out with my partner because it doesn't come off at all.

Cheesecakecutie

Familiar Face
Lipstick nightmares....i have them all...i use lip cote but like you all say it doesn't work and i end up with a hideous ring of red. My biggest problem is the bleeding thing...i have only just started wearing lippy again in the last year...and always red. I use a rimmel one and it does bleed. i use liner and pat foundation or benefit lip plump on first but still bleeds. The problem is,:eusa_doh: I love that super high gloss watery shine some girls get when they have red lippy on....how do they do that...i keep a watchful eye and it doesn't seem to budge, whats the secret....it would be half way up my cheek if i put lots of gloss on top. Am going to try the lip liner whole lip and powder thing...and get a better quality lippy.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
My system is pretty lengthy, I line my lips, apply lipstick, separate a piece of tissue and use one sheet to blot, apply again, blot again, use the remaining layer of tissue between my lips and powder brush, which allows the powder to absorb oil, but keeps the lipstick off my brushes, reapply lipstick and blot again.

Long and fussy, but my lipstick lasts very well.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
CanadaDoll said:
My system is pretty lengthy, I line my lips, apply lipstick, separate a piece of tissue and use one sheet to blot, apply again, blot again, use the remaining layer of tissue between my lips and powder brush, which allows the powder to absorb oil, but keeps the lipstick off my brushes, reapply lipstick and blot again.

Long and fussy, but my lipstick lasts very well.

It must take you longer to do your makeup than Marilyn Monroe! lol

I'm one to talk...!

Hmmm...that might make an interesting thread: How long does it take you to put on your 'face'?

swinggal

One Too Many
Another trick is this; after you have lined and applied your lipstick, blot then place another clean piece tissue over your lips and dust the powder with a brush or cotton ball over that. I read this in one of my ladies magazines from 1940. Apparently the tissue only allows the finest particles of powder through onto the lips and stops that 'cakey' powdered feel.

Poison

New in Town
I have Lipcote and it works better than others but still fades s bit. However, I use gloss (I have too my lips need moisture) but I'm definitely going to try powdering business.

Alice~

One of the Regulars
Maybelline Superstay 24 Color lipsticks are the only product I've ever used that actually last all day, through drinking and eating. I really highly recommend them - though the shade range is sadly quite limited. I rarely wear "normal" lipstick at all now. They dry very quickly though, so be very precise when applying!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran