Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping that lipstick ON your lips

Madison Paige

Familiar Face
Hi Ladies,

Now I've run into quite a problem. I've tried everything from the everlast lipsticks to Benefit's She-laq, and nothing will keep my lipstick in place. The promlem is, I either don't like the lipstick colors from the ever last lipsticks (I just can't part with my Mac Viva Glam) and when I use the She-laq it sort of flakes, and looks all bumpy and disgusting. Do you girls have a secret to keeping your lipstick in place? I don't mind re-applying it a few times during the day, I just hate applying after every meal, and I feel bad for my poor boyfriend always getting lipstick on his cheeks!

Any advice is helpful!

Thanks girls!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I also use She-laq, but what I find helps is blotting my lipstick before I put it on to prevent the lumpies :) That's the best thing I've found so far, so I'm anxious to hear what everyone else does!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Lip liner helps with smudging, as does blotting and using a lip brush for application (a thinner coat smudges less than a thicker one does.)

I found a "Hollywood Makeup Trick (how the stars keep their lipstick on their lips)" in a 1942 magazine that really works--apply lipstick, blot, and than dust with powder. The powder does dry out your lips (and alters the color slightly) but the lipstick does not budge at all.

miss noir

New in Town
i second the liner and powder trick. i colour everything in with liner before putting the lippy on to prevent the creepy early 90's 'lip liner only' look when the middle starts to wear off. i do find it dries my lips out horribly, but we have to suffer for our art in small ways i guess hehe

Elaina

One Too Many
I do what JBD does but when I moisturize my face, I apply it to my lips. Then, since lips are the last, I liberally apply lip balm several times during the rest of the make-up application. It allows the liner to go on smoother as well as keep them from drying out.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Elaina said:
I do what JBD does but when I moisturize my face, I apply it to my lips. Then, since lips are the last, I liberally apply lip balm several times during the rest of the make-up application. It allows the liner to go on smoother as well as keep them from drying out.

Good idea! I have the bad habit of picking at my lips when they're dry (sorry if that's an overshare), so I really ought to moisturize them within an inch of their life.

crystalface

One of the Regulars
I use a lip balm (kind of like chapstick in a liquid form) from work called Lip Remedy--it really helps with dry lips. Then I let it set in a bit (because it has alot of slip) and apply lip liner, completely filling in the lips, then I apply my lippy.
If I don't lick my lips alot during the day (which I have a bad habit of--I think I just love eating my gloss and lipsticks :p ) it will last until I eat lunch. (Which is about 4 or 5 hours into my work day)

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I usually can't even keep the kissproof stuff on, but I've found that if you use lip liner instead of lipstick it does stay on for a lot longer. It is a little dry though.

All the same lipsense cranberry does stay on though kissing, and sometimes even eating. The color is not too bad either.

See?

1180.jpg

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Madison Paige said:
Hi Ladies,

Now I've run into quite a problem. I've tried everything from the everlast lipsticks to Benefit's She-laq, and nothing will keep my lipstick in place. The promlem is, I either don't like the lipstick colors from the ever last lipsticks (I just can't part with my Mac Viva Glam) and when I use the She-laq it sort of flakes, and looks all bumpy and disgusting. Do you girls have a secret to keeping your lipstick in place? I don't mind re-applying it a few times during the day, I just hate applying after every meal, and I feel bad for my poor boyfriend always getting lipstick on his cheeks!

Any advice is helpful!

Thanks girls!

I agree about the dusting of powder- you may have to do it a few times... also using a nude/non color lip liner all over your lips helps. Look for lipsticks with heavy pigment.

GOK

One Too Many
Another vote for the powder!

I exfoliate my lips first as I find that this gives a smooth and even 'canvas' to work with. Then I apply shea butter or lip balm (Pussy Pucker Pots are great,100% vegan and ethically produced) and allow it to absorb while I do the rest of my makeup.

I outline my lips with concealer before applying any colour - this helps to give them an even appearance (because none of us is perfect!) - then it's on with the liner. Fill in the lip with liner as this gives a good base and helps the actual lipstick last longer. Then I apply a coat of lippy (MAC Russsian Red) (with a brush - always a brush, Dahlink!), blot, dust with powder (MAC Blot - lightest shade) and brush off the excess. Then I repeat the process. The powder tends to give more oomph to the lip colour, which is fine by me - I like my lips to look striking! It also means I can apply it in the morning and don't have to worry about it all day. It never budges!

I've tried She-Laq and Lipcote and found them to be more trouble than they were worth; not to mention hideously drying and stingy. The powder method doesn't dry my lips too much but in all honesty, if it did, it would be worth it!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
One of the other tricks I use is to lightly apply foundation over my mouth when making up the rest of my face. If I apply lip balm or anything with a lot of slip to my lips, my lipstick smears and/or does a disappearing act in record time, so I avoid those types of products during the day.

The foundation method has the added benefit of toning down your natural lip line, which is nice if you like to overdraw your mouth.

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
Ice!

I just bought the December Glamour, and they did a piece on red make-up. They said a great trick for getting red lipstick to stay in place is to apply it, and when you get it just the way you like it, run an ice cube over your lips. They said yes it's wet and cold, but swear that it won't bleed.

GOK

One Too Many
crystalface said:
My lips are disgustingly dry right now. :( GOK, what do you exfoliate with? (I'm guessing a toothbrush?)[huh]

No, no, noooo! I use a Skin-Vac flannel, which is absolutely brilliant. You know those towels and dressing gowns that you get in hotels that are made from a waffle type fabric? It's like that. It works a treat. A word of advice though, after using, it's not good to use a lip balm containing ginger! Ouch :eusa_doh:

Ms. Parriss

New in Town
crystalface said:
I use a lip balm (kind of like chapstick in a liquid form) from work called Lip Remedy--it really helps with dry lips. Then I let it set in a bit (because it has alot of slip) and apply lip liner, completely filling in the lips, then I apply my lippy.
If I don't lick my lips alot during the day (which I have a bad habit of--I think I just love eating my gloss and lipsticks :p ) it will last until I eat lunch. (Which is about 4 or 5 hours into my work day)
where can i get this 'lip remedy'? who makes it. i want to try this out. I find that you either have to have your lipstick where off or have dry lips, im ready to try anything.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Is there really such a thing as a kiss-proof lipstick? I know a fella that removes not only my lipstick but also half of my make up every time we smooch. I'm certainly not complaining about the quality of kisses, only the removal of my make up. I think "kiss proof" lipstick is false advertising!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Is there really such a thing as a kiss-proof lipstick? I know a fella that removes not only my lipstick but also half of my make up every time we smooch. I'm certainly not complaining about the quality of kisses, only the removal of my make up. I think "kiss proof" lipstick is false advertising!

Cover Girl Outlast is the best I've found for that little issue--it doesn't kiss of right away, though eventually the color sort of disappears (sans smears though.) But no one is left looking like a clown after a little necking lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran